PDA

View Full Version : the other one comes home.

Lloyd Smale
10-28-2011, 04:34 AM
I once had two cdp kimbers and foolishly parted with both in weak moments. Ive allways preached that they were about the ulitmate ccw 1911s at any price. the first one a 4 inch officers grip frame gun came back last year as a gift from the buddy I tradded it to. He knew how bad I wanted that one and was so kind as to return it as a gift. The second one a 3 inch officers gun was traded to another friend for a 9mm colt 1911 that is also sadly down the road. I allways told him if he ever wanted to get rid of it to call me. Well yesterday morning i got a call to come buy it if i wanted it. I reluctantly brought the check book and was prepared for the worse. I got there and asked what he wanted and he floored me and said 400 bucks. I told him it was worth twice that and he said he owed me some favors and that was all hed take. It was still like new. I doubt he ever even shot it. Both these guns were exceptional shooters but that little 3 in gun was unbelieable. It would shoot right along side my colt gold cup and my kimber gold match. It shot many 5 shot one inch groups. As a matter of fact for giggles shot a ppc match with it one day and took first place. Im sure happy these two are back where they belong!!

StrawHat
10-28-2011, 06:10 AM
It is always nice when the stray comes home. I have a couple of revolvers that made it back and one that is still looking for the way home.

bobthenailer
10-28-2011, 07:12 AM
I guess i dont live right ! as ive never had a chance to buy any back .
But my brother in law got back his orgional ruger 22 auto that he bought in the 1960s and sold in the late 1970s to a friend of mine to buy a Hi Std Trophy , my BIL has wished that he had never sold it for years, finally in 2007 i located the guy and he sold it to my sister & me. and we gave it to him for his birthday for a surprise. had to pay $350.00 for it but it was still in excellent shape and still with the box & paper work.
And him opening it up on his BD was priceless ! you dont see smiles mich bigger !

tacklebury
10-28-2011, 08:19 PM
Congrats. 8) I got back my first handgun last year. H&R 9-shot 903 target revolver from 1986. Also, my first mil-surp from the same guy. my 7.5x55 swiss 1911. ;)

smoked turkey
10-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Lloyd your two good friends are just that..good friends that put friendship above profit. I say that you must have also been a good friend somewhere back down the road and that you deserved to get the two Kimbers back at a good price. I like stories with good endings like this one. Congradulations.

crabo
10-29-2011, 09:41 AM
I gave my brother a black face Fender Deluxe Reverb amp in the late seventies. He gave it back to me in the late nineties. I thought it was gone forever.

DLCTEX
10-29-2011, 03:41 PM
I haven't had any come back, and there are a number I wish would. I cured that by not selling or trading any away.

Lloyd Smale
10-30-2011, 07:20 AM
had it at the range yesterday. Loaded the load it used to like. The lyman 200 swc cast out of #2 and 5 grains of pr200 (aac 2) and a fed primer. First 14 shots went into a 1 1/4 at 25 yards and thats with my tired old eyes. Dont ever let anyone tell you a little 3 inch 1911 is minute of barn door!! It takes a good day for me to shoot that well with my gold cup or gold match. Thing is too you allways hear that commander lenght guns and especially 3 inch guns just arent reliable. I know my 4 inch cdp has had probably 5k of rounds through it and back when i had this 3 inch gun i probably put 2k through it and i dont remember even one malfuntion out of either of them. Now to be honest i can think back on some crappy commanders ive had and one springfield 3 inch gun that i about threw in the pond but these two sure work! Like i said there not cheap but if you want one of the best ccw 1911s for any price take a hard look at one of these cdps. You would have to spend twice what they cost to get the same features and reliability anywhere else. Now if i could only get kimber to make a 10mm commader sized cdp for me id be in heaven.

casterofboolits
11-01-2011, 10:55 AM
I got my first 45 ACP comp gun back from a buddy for the same amount He paid me for it. It's a franken 1911...Crown City cast frame, Remington Rand slide, Colt stock barrel and Colt internals, Wilson trigger and bevertail, and Hienie fixed sights. It has more than 50,000 rounds thru it and still going strong.