PDA

View Full Version : Cross check Lyman loads for H110

Wilsknife
10-28-2011, 01:28 AM
While doing some research today as to why my 158gn FP 357 Mag cases(6) all split, I discovered that Lyman loads are probably too high for H110.
Lyman lists the load as 16.3 to 17 gn H110 for the 158gn JHP bullet.
Hornady, the bullet maker, lists the H110 load for their bullet as 12.7 to 15.6gn.
Hodgdon, the powder maker, lists the load as 15.- to 16.7gn for a 158gn XTP.

It appears that Lyman has a potentially fatal mistake in their load data. I loaded 16gn H110 and had 6 case failures. I can only imagine what would have happened at a max load(according to Lyman.)

Check your loads against several different companies' load data.

Any thoughts on which is more likely correct? The powder maker, the bullet maker, or the Lyman gang?

"Sometimes you are given the unique opportunity for a redo."

Doc_Stihl
10-28-2011, 08:27 AM
If hodgdon lists 15-16.7 for the XTP then that's what I'd follow.

That's assuming that you're using an XTP, the OAL was correct. Good powder was used and the correct specified primer from the recipe, which is usually a Magnum with H110.

If you're substituting a different bullet at a different seating depth, all bets are off.

MT Gianni
10-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Each may have been maximum in the gun they were worked up in. H110, & WW296 are two powders I always look for multiple sources for information. What gun were you shooting these out of? It may make a difference if one was a j-frame copy and the load was worked up in an Universal Receiver or a Blackhawk.

Wilsknife
10-28-2011, 06:41 PM
I fired these in an '86 Ruger Security Six w/4" barrel.
I used a 158gn plated flat nose bullet w/16gn H110

kelbro
10-28-2011, 10:26 PM
I routinely shoot 15.8gr of H110 behind a 173gr RanchDog bullet with no case splitting but it is up there near the max.

Could the cases have been 'tired'?

Wilsknife
10-28-2011, 11:03 PM
It's possible, but all six? Most splits were around the mouth(many splits on each.) One went top to bottom.

MT Gianni
10-29-2011, 12:06 AM
That is pushing a Ruger only load I used to shoot with 185 gr LBT cast. The advice I had was to use SRP rather than pistol primers. It may be warm but was safe in their gun. Have you had problems before with this gun in approaching max loads? Something surely doesn't seem right.

9.3X62AL
10-29-2011, 12:34 AM
14.5 grains of WW-296 and CCI-550 primer has been my go-to load to duplicate factory W-W 158 grain JHP loads. Using the once-available W-W bullets, the velocities from my 4" 686 (1225 FPS) closely matched my issue ammo. This is all current SAAMI-spec, 36K PSI-level.

Black Lung
10-29-2011, 10:42 AM
After working up to it in my Ruger Black Hawk, I've used 16.7 gr. H110 with good results for years, no problems. I would not use this load in a lesser built firearm!

With a Lyman 358477 mold I use 17.0gr. H110 in the same firearm with no pressure signs. Maybe your chambers are oversized? What firearm are you using?

I'm of the opinion (you know what they're worth) that in a well built firearm, it's hard to overload H110, as it is made to operate best with a full case.

MBTcustom
10-29-2011, 11:10 AM
I trust Hodgdon's info with my life but I still work up to max pressures. Usually Hodgdons info is on the conservative side but that's right where I like it.
Accuracy is paramount, and good accuracy is almost never found above the max recommended load data on Hodgdons sight. Just my opinion.

legend
10-29-2011, 11:50 AM
Just a thought...

i once had several cases split with a similar load in my model 28 smith,i found my sizeing die had streaks of brass/nickle built up inside it(probably not enough lube)
once i polished the streaks out i never had the problem again.it had scratched the case sides of my brass.

i hope it helps.

Rico1950
10-29-2011, 02:58 PM
"I'm of the opinion (you know what they're worth) that in a well built firearm, it's hard to overload H110, as it is made to operate best with a full case".

That's a very DANGEROUS statement!

41mag
10-29-2011, 05:57 PM
I see the data your referring to in my latest Lyman manual, however this is for a Hornady158gr JHP. This said, you mention using a plated bullet, which could easily cause the difference in pressure. The softer bullet base could easily expand quite a bit more easily than the copper jacketed one when hit with that load, which might explain your split cases.

While I completely understand your at the start load, my older Lyman manual shows a start load of 13.7gr with a Hornady 158gr JHP.

If you are using something like a Berry's then you might give them a ring and see what they suggest.

One other thing I found years ago was to be darn sure I checked the barrel length as well. I loaded some rounds, working from bottom to top end for my 44 using 180gr bullets and H-110. What I found was that while VERY accurate, the top end loads were something just short of being intolerable. After I got home I found their test barrel was 4" where mine was 7.5", it made QUITE a bit of difference.

Black Lung
10-30-2011, 12:31 PM
RICO: You,'re quite right, that was a dangerous statement and a good example of why published manuals should be followed and double checked. I guess what I was trying to get across was I'm more leery of underloading H110 than overloading it. Hogdgon's data usually has a range of about 1.0 grains from starting load to maximum load for H110 for any given cartridge, with the admonition to not reduce the load more than 3%. Alot of manuals reduce the start loads 10% or so, and I've always been afraid this would expose too much powder to the primer's flame, so I generally start at 3% less than max and work up.

I do not nor do I advocate exceeding max loads, but if I don't get the accuracy I want in this narrow 3% range, I move to a different propellant.

I again apologize for making a dangerous statement!

mroliver77
10-31-2011, 11:57 PM
Seating depth is different for different styles of 158gr bullets/boolits. This can give quite a bit of diference in case capacity resulting in higher or lower than published pressures. The .357 being a rather small case makes it more sensitive than the larger ones. With low and mid pressure loads it usually is no big deal to substitute a different design bullet of the same weight. Max or near max loads are far more criticle of component deviation.
The XTP bullets usually have data meant only for them. I am thinking they have more bullet in the case but don't take that to the bank.