PDA

View Full Version : Browning 1885 find...

offshore44
10-27-2011, 10:38 PM
This is a little off topic for here, but maybe not.

I stopped into the local pawn shop the other day to see if they had a drill press (they did) and decided to browse the selection of firearms. I wasn't expecting much. I was surprised to see a Browning High Wall in .45-70, in really good condition. Didn't have them take it out of the case to look at when I was there.

To make a long story shorter...I stopped into the shop again today specifically to look the Browning over. Nice rifle. Solid, not dinged up at all. I don't suspect that many rounds have gone down the bore.

Does anyone shoot one of these things? Does anyone shoot paper patched out of one? If so, what are your results? Does it shoot paper patched as well as it looks like it would? Is there any funkiness to loading paper patched for this rifle like long throat, short throat, strange bore size, etc.?

I would probably have to sell a kidney to afford it right now, but the thought of shooting it with paper patched is growing on me. Good looking rifle, and it would be my first and only single shot.

pdawg_shooter
10-28-2011, 08:57 AM
Cant tell you about a high wall but both of my 45-70s shoot PP ONLY! Bought both new and neither have ever seen a bare lead or jacketed. No leading, great accuracy, and full power loads.

Moondawg
10-28-2011, 10:46 AM
You didn't say what kind of browning 1885 it was, BPCR, B-78 etc. I have a Browning 1885 BCPR in 45-70 that shoots like a house afire. I do not paper patch lubed bullets and BP only. I also have a Wincheser 1885, 38-55 Limited, which is made in the same factory as the Brownings (Miroku). Both rifles have a short throat. Especially the 45-70. You are not going to seat long bullets out very far unless they are tapered. Both rifles have high quality workmanship fit and finish. Both have nice wood in the stocks.