PDA

View Full Version : How to pack MFRBox?

blackbike
10-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Will you guys in the know tell me the best way to pack a MFRBox for USPS shipment?
I have 1# corn cob shaped ingots and 2&1/2# half moon shaped (cast in old army SS mess kit)
THANKS

para45lda
10-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Some of the guys build wooden boxes to go inside the cardboard box. I've packed into smaller boxes and then doubled up on the MFR boxes. Knock on wood everything has survived. I think the trick is to eliminate shifting inside the box - even when dropped from a height. Also get the post office to apply the red "HEAVY" stickers for you.

Good luck as I know you are packing quite a few (that look good by the way).

Wes

white eagle
10-27-2011, 10:21 PM
that is the best way
eliminate shifting
2 boxes tape the piss out of the inside one and pack her tight
also write HEAVY on package

bearcove
10-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Pack it tight. Tape everywhere. Straping tape first clear over.

I use cardboard as filler. Don't use bubbles when they pop thing shift.

williamwaco
10-27-2011, 10:46 PM
You can also put the ingots in the small boxes, then pack the small boxes into the medium.
I have not done it but I have received a couple packaged like that.

blackbike
10-28-2011, 12:50 AM
Thanks guys,I tryed cuting old dentem pants legs off and ziplock the ends and middle inside MFRBox (60#), one just barly made it, box was tore all up but pants leg helt all lead together.
For now I think I`ll try 6 SFRBoxes inside MFRBox, that sounds good, but I know I got to clear of the table saw and run AC power to itand go wood box inside MFRBox.
Glad I found 6 large rolls of clear shiping tape for $10.
thanks for the help

imashooter2
10-28-2011, 07:08 AM
Tyvek bags are every bit as tough as denim and are available for free...

captaint
10-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Be sure to have a thick cardboard (at least) bottom for the box inside. That'll keep it together if they drop it. Otherwise, yes, pack it tight. enjoy Mike

evan price
10-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Use those free boxes...double box for sure. Use lots and lots of tape, every seam, every corner, every side. I stuff old magazines in around the lead to keep it in place.

blackbike
10-28-2011, 05:37 PM
Like this?

Muddy Creek Sam
10-29-2011, 09:59 AM
Buy Duck HP260 Tape. 3.1mm Thick. And Tape the Piss out of all of it.

Sam :D

BSkerj
10-29-2011, 10:23 AM
I duct tape all the ingots together into on piece of lead. If you had 60 lbs to ship duct tape 5 12lb groups together. Then as said above..tape the box all the way around and then some.

Tom W.
10-29-2011, 10:59 AM
Also, use some white Elmer's glue when you assemble the boxes. I'll tape it first, glue the bottom shut and use some ingots to hold it down while it dries, then add the contents, and glue and tape the top shut. Really tape it.

I tried hot glue when shipping a box of carbide saw tips. Once... That was a mistake never to be repeated.

Freightman
10-29-2011, 01:05 PM
I just build a box to go into a MFRB out of scrap plywood, I use mt finish nail gun and pack and seal then just slip the FRB over and tape. I have found the flat MFRB is the best and easier to handle. Dry wall screws work if you do not have a nail gun.

4719dave
10-29-2011, 10:28 PM
2 med flrt boxes hot glue together.with 6 sm boxes inside ht glued and hd packing tape !! Around the boxes and under and over .I bet the po lady they couldnt bust this one lol

a.squibload
10-31-2011, 12:40 AM
I received a fr box with a wood box in it, loose ingots, the wood box was busted
(staples pulling out) and the fr box starting to tear open. Didn't lose any but was close.
Received one from Kathie, lots of cardboard packing inside fr box held the ingots from shifting,
no damage to fr box.
Rec'd. a fr box with 3 bags of brass in it, almost tore the box open.

I guess some of it depends on which gorillas showed up for work.

PS: don't cover up the "Flat Rate" sign on the box, they don't like that.

PPS: someone posted about shrink-wrapping ingots to a piece of plywood (or cardboard?)
to keep 'em from shifting in the box. Guess tape would do the same.