PDA

View Full Version : lead in the revolver

Catch
10-27-2011, 09:39 PM
I have just started casting bullets for a 44 WCF revolver (44-40) I have used cast bullets in several rifles but this is my first with the revolver. I noticed that the cylinder on the revolver is smaller at the mouth then the bullet I intend to use. Even after sizing the bullets with the smallest sizer I have, .427, the bullets will not pass through the mouth of the cylinder. I pushed one slowly through one of the chambers and measured it. The bullet was .427 and the cylinder mouth was .4255. I am hoping someone smarter than I will tell me if this is safe, or will I have to ream the chamber mouth to .427? It seems I remember a 357 mag years ago that had the same problem but the opening there was only .0005 smaller and I was told at that time that it would only affect the accuracy of the pistol. Can I shoot this revolver safely with the bullet this much oversized? The groove diameter of the barrel is .427.
Thanks for your help...........

Dale53
10-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Having undersize cylinder throats will almost certainly lead to leading - generally SERIOUS leading. If your barrel indeeds has a groove diameter of .427", then the optimum size for your cylinder throats will be .428"-.429".

This, unfortunately, is not uncommon. Last year I got a very nice SS Ruger Bisley revolver in .45 Colt/.45 ACP. The throats in the .45 Colt cylinder were undersize and the barrel leaded in just a few shots. The .45 ACP cylinder had throats so small that I couldn't even load my cast bullet .45 ACP's. The solution was simple. I used a "made for the job" reamer with a set of pilots (that insured the reamer was centered) and I reamed both cylinders to .4525" (the accepted standard for these days). Immediately, with no other changes my problems went away. I can shoot either cylinder all day long without any noticeable leading. Further, contrary to my experience before reaming, accuracy did not degrade regardless of how many rounds I shot.

I cast my own bullets (been doing it for well over fifty years) and size bullets for both cylinders to .452".

If you do not have the skill set to ream your own cylinders (and buy the rather pricy reamer) Cylindersmith.com has an excellent reputation for great work and quick turn around with minimal cost. You only have to send the cylinder to him.

Good luck!
Dale53

Catch
10-28-2011, 03:39 AM
Thanks Dale for your prompt and accurate reply. I think the way to go is to ream the cyl as you have described. There use to be a site that would rent reamers of all kinds. I used it once some time ago to ream the throat on a 30 cal. rifle for use with cast bullets. Are you familiar with this side? The other question being is the gun SAFE to shoot like it is even though it will lead up?
Thanks again..........Catch

MtGun44
10-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Understand that what you have is in no way unsafe. This is extremely common,
almost normal, but suboptimal for accuracy with lead boolits.

And, when you ream to .428, you will want .428 boolits for it to work the best.

As long as you understand this and don't go oversized (which is bad for accy) you will
be OK.

Bill

Char-Gar
10-28-2011, 05:30 PM
What kind of pistol. Smith and Wesson made some N frame 44-40s back in the 70's that had grossly undersized cylinder throat. If, it not one of them, you should make darn certain about the size of those cylinder throats before sticking a reamer in them.

uscra112
10-28-2011, 05:46 PM
That reamer rental site is 4D Reamer Rentals www.4-dproducts.com

Or reamers@4-dproducts.com

I've used their reamers a few times, and was quite pleased.

Contact person is Colleen Zeglin.

Dale53
10-28-2011, 07:43 PM
MtGun44 is correct. This is not dangerous but I seriously doubt whether you'll be happy. My Ruger even varied a bit from chamber to chamber. However, after reaming they are ALL round, and the correct size.

The performance is all that I could possibly ask for.

Dale53

Catch
10-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Thanks alot guys for your help. Now I think I know where to go................Catch

Dale53
10-29-2011, 02:01 AM
Catch;
The latest issue of the Handloader Magazine (E-Magazine) has just hit the net (December/January issue). Mike Venturino has an excellent article in it about his trials and tribulations with the 44-40 revolver over the years. He offers solutions and I can recommend the article without reservation if you are just beginning to load for the .44-40.

You may be able to get a sample copy of the magazine from Wolfe Publishing...

Dale53

Love Life
10-29-2011, 02:17 AM
That reamer rental site is 4D Reamer Rentals www.4-dproducts.com

Or reamers@4-dproducts.com

I've used their reamers a few times, and was quite pleased.

Contact person is Colleen Zeglin.

Yeah but their deposit is $100.00. I can send my revolver off for a full tuning package for $125.00. What I am saying is is the price is a bit stiff. Call around to a few gunsmiths and see what they charge. If you rent a reamer and mess it up YOU are screwed. If a gunsmith screws it up THEY are screwed. Just food for thought.

Dale53
10-29-2011, 09:05 AM
If I didn't have access to a PROPER reamer kit, then I would suggest that you send the cylinder (you don't have to mail the whole revolver) to:

http://www.cylindersmith.com/

He has a modest charge, fast turn about, and has received excellent reports on this very forum.

In a couple of weeks, you should have your cylinder back and all of this will be behind you.

Just a thought...

Dale53

tek4260
10-29-2011, 09:46 AM
If I didn't have access to a PROPER reamer kit, then I would suggest that you send the cylinder (you don't have to mail the whole revolver) to:

http://www.cylindersmith.com/

He has a modest charge, fast turn about, and has received excellent reports on this very forum.

In a couple of weeks, you should have your cylinder back and all of this will be behind you.

Just a thought...

Dale53

Dale is right about CAS, top notch all the way.

The problem with using other reamers besides the piloted Manson is that you need a machine shop setup to keep everything aligned. Split dowel with sandpaper? Forget about it. You will easily screw up the throats and bell the end of the cylinder.

The Manson kit is so simple and idiot proof, and is what Cylindersmith uses anyway. It is literally 10 minutes at the kitchen table simple.

I have bought two of them, used them, and sold them in 10 minutes on Rugerforum for about $10 less than I paid.

Mal Paso
10-29-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't think you"re going to find a .428 reamer off the shelf. Call Manson Reamers http://www.mansonreamers.com/index.html. When I called I talked to Dave Manson and learned a lot. I wrote the following about 44 mag.

I have the Manson .431 and like it. Buy the bushing set as a tight fit is important. The bushings also work as plug gauges and Don't be surprised if the cylinders aren't all the same size Factory tolerance for the reamer is .431 to .4315 so if you need tighter you should call Manson directly. The price is the same and the time I called I talked to Dave Manson and learned a bit.

Some more info: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=116271

Cylinder Smith uses Custom Manson Reamers at .4305 and .4325. .4325 is SAAMI Spec minimum size but I like .431. I've seen a few .429 cylinder throats and I think it's to increase jacketed performance which we all know is pretty dismal compared to lead.