PDA

View Full Version : 32-20 and Trail Boss?

Canuck Bob
10-27-2011, 06:07 PM
I have asked this before but failed to note it and searching has come up blank!

I'm looking for the data on Trail Boss and the 32-20 please? It is a Winoku 92 with a 24" barrel and the bullet is the NOE 311316 115 grain PB.

Does anyone have chronoed data for this, or experience with such loads?

Looking for how many grains to base of bullet, velocities, and accuracy concerns. I have this mold and the Trail Boss in stock. My plan is a standardized lead plinker load that will be my only dedicated load for this rifle.

I want to try TB because I like a fairly full case of powder. I'm also hoping to use something comparable to WW/PB 50-50 for cheap lead use. Is this plan doable?

35remington
10-27-2011, 06:50 PM
If you'll stick with amounts that go up to the shoulder, or in the vicinity of 3.5 to 4 grains more or less, you'll find that the load will be around 1000 fps and should give somewhat better accuracy than the loads that are supersonic. Or at least, they do for me.

Experiment with the powder charge levels from around the start of shoulder to base of bullet and see how you do. While velocities will vary depending upon which bullet and gun combo you have, acceptable accuracy should occur. More so in the 1000 to 1100 fps range, which is my target for this powder. I like to cruise around 1050 to 1080, which is the same speed as 22 long rifle subsonic ammo. The other benefit is somewhat lower noise levels than when the sonic barrier is broken.

I can average somewhat better groups with 2400, 4759, 4227 etc. but the Trailboss makes a decent plinking and 60 yard small game load, with the drawback of somewhat higher cost than a cheaper powder. Accuracy is no better than the other fast powders like Bullseye, Unique, W231, etc. but even a doofus can avoid a double charge with it.

These loads were shot in a Model 92 Winchester in good condition.

Your plan is very doable. Don't go overboard on velocity as flyers appear somewhat more frequently. My guess is that as pressure goes up the plainbase bullet suffers from more gas cutting, making a more uneven bullet base on barrel exit which may "tip" bullets as they clear the muzzle due to gasses escaping unevenly around the base.

It is a good sounding theory, at least.

These loads kill small game very very well despite the mild velocity. You'll like them.

Experiment with using one lube groove filled only, as more lube tends to make my rifle first shot sensitive as well as having issues with lube purging (groups are good, then flyers, then large groups, then small groups, then back to large groups with flyers again). Also depends upon how big your lube grooves are......I have no idea about your bullet but I thought that might need mentioning. Less lube makes a more consistent bore condition in my rifle, and these mild loads don't need that much lube anyway.

Guesser
10-27-2011, 08:39 PM
I've never chronoed mine and they are fired in 6" Colt Army Specials. Light load with 311008 is 2.4 gr., heavy? load is 2.9 gr. of Trail Boss, same bullet.

Canuck Bob
10-27-2011, 10:15 PM
This is the bullet.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=56704

It has 3 cavaties, 2 PB and one GC HP so it is ideal for my needs. I have no idea if the grease groove is proper or not.

A subsonic would suit me fine. I gather that the reduced pressure will be a benefit with such a quick powder. Basically I want to shoot this rifle a lot and try to shot cheap. My job as an oilfield salesman has me in the bush a lot. This rifle will replace my old 10-22 for woods loafing because it is a take down and goes in my suitcase.

35remington
10-27-2011, 10:18 PM
Nice looking bullet. I'd try it tumble lubed as well as with grease groove filled to determine if the load is lube sensitive.

I cannot envision a better load for what you intend it to do. It would be a great critter whacker with moderate noise.

If the HP is cast with straight wheelweights the velocity is on the verge of expansion, and might fail to open at longer than very close distances. Usually the bullet fractures down to the HP cavity bottom when cast of wheelweights when it does expand.

1-20 or similar would work better with the moderate velocity of such a load in a HP bullet. I'm assuming the HP cavity is not narrow, but reasonably generous.

btroj
10-28-2011, 08:41 AM
I have used 3 gr of Trailboss under a 120 plain base. Ran about 750 to 800 fps from my Marlin 1894. It is quiet enough that I can hear the twang of the hammer spring ru the stock!
Shoots pretty well out to 100 yards. Fun to shoot gongs at 100 as you hear a pop of the shot, wait, then hear a faint "tink" of the hit on steel.

I have a mould for the same bullet you are using. Haven't shot enough yet to have any ideas on a good load for it. Probably ought to get the mould out and get some cast.

Brad

gundownunder
10-29-2011, 10:45 PM
There are quite a few 32-20s shot at my local club, both for target and silhouette.
Almost all are loaded with 115gr cast bullets and 4.5gr TB, mine was most accurate with 115gr and 4.1gr TB. Start at the bottom, which I think is about 2.5gr, and work your way up till you find the sweet spot, 4.5gr would be a full case.