PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Press...Parts?

lts70
10-27-2011, 01:53 PM
I got this press all cleaned up but it does not have a primer catcher or attachement to insert the new primer. Does anyone have any spare parts for sale? What all am I missing?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_192784e2a3fbd0254a.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=1536)

KCSO
10-27-2011, 02:11 PM
The catcher tray is not really needed if you own a broom and the primer arms are still available, if you write them a nice letter tellling them how it finally broke after 2 million rounds they will send you a new one free.

Mk42gunner
10-27-2011, 05:32 PM
RCBS will send you a new plastic primer catcher, you will probably have to use some duct tape to get it to actually catch most primers.

I was going to suggest getting a hand priming tool; because it seems easier to me than priming on the press, but the item in the top left of your photo looks like a bench mounted priming tool. Why not get it cleaned up and use it?

Robert

TXGunNut
10-27-2011, 10:49 PM
I have that press, there's a reason why the priming tool is MIA. It had very little "feel" and was awkward to use. Think mine fell off when it got in the way.[smilie=l: Primer catcher would be nice but it's not very good @ catching primers. I like the Lee Auto Prime but never used the RCBS bench mounted tool. Worth a try, I guess.

Mike W1
10-27-2011, 11:34 PM
Looks like my old "Jr". Actually if one reads the instructions the primer arm helps deflect the spent primers into the catcher. I put some thin foam in my catcher along with a thicker piece of foam to cover the gap and it actually works fairly well that way. I didn't much care for priming that way either and use another tool for that purpose.

Pressman
10-28-2011, 05:58 AM
The RCBS is the best bench mounted tool - bar none. And that is my not so humble opinion. It is fast, accurate and with plenty of feel. Forget priming on the JR press and get teh bench tool operating. You won't regret it.
Ken

1hole
10-28-2011, 09:43 AM
"Forget priming on the JR press and get teh bench tool operating."

Dittto.

P.K.
10-28-2011, 10:02 AM
I'd like to get my hands on the extra ram for a coupe of ideas I am working on.

Dennis Eugene
10-28-2011, 11:38 AM
Yep get the bench mounted priming tool up and running, you'll never look back. Also I put a short piece of drinking straw up inside the ram to help catch and direct the spent primers,kind of a PITA but once you get the length cut right it works quite well. Dennis

jakharath
10-28-2011, 05:23 PM
I concur, don't prime on the RCBS. It's a great press for the rest.

casterofboolits
10-31-2011, 09:42 AM
"Forget priming on the JR press and get teh bench tool operating."

Dittto.

+1 for cleaning up the priming tool.

lts70
10-31-2011, 09:49 AM
I got the bench mount primer tool cleaned up but it must be missing some kind of parts that actually hold the primers and press them in when the ram is raised.

Mk42gunner
10-31-2011, 02:41 PM
You can usually find .pdf files of instructions and parts breakdowns on the RCBS website, that way you have part numbers when you call them.

Robert

giddyupgo55
10-31-2011, 05:20 PM
As stated looks like a junior press. Still have mine after 34 years. Contact RCBS for the parts you need. I know some folks say don't prime on the press, but I did for 30 years ( bought a Rock Chucker) and never had a problem. Do what feels right for you.

SSGOldfart
10-31-2011, 05:22 PM
I need the little 1/2 moon shaped wire clip that holds the shell holder in place, if your parting out that press. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

P.K.
11-01-2011, 08:27 AM
As stated looks like a junior press. Still have mine after 34 years. Contact RCBS for the parts you need. I know some folks say don't prime on the press, but I did for 30 years ( bought a Rock Chucker) and never had a problem. Do what feels right for you.

While I use a Lee hand prime setup I used the press to prime aswell with no issues. The only reason I don't is the extra step of filling the tubes. That and I can prime 500 or so cases wathing the tube. ;-)

scrapcan
11-03-2011, 12:09 PM
ok you have the main part of the primer arm, what you need is the anvil and cup (and maybe the set screw in the arm). The long piece with half moon cutout under the top long bolt in your picture is the priming arm, albeit you are missing the small flat spring that pushes it away from the press. You can get the anvil and cups from rcbs or an rcbs stocking dealer.

The bench primer instructions are at the following location if you are missing parts call rcbs customer service and be nice about the call and they will take care of you.

http://www.rcbs.com/downloads/instructions/PrimingToolsAndAccessories.pdf