PDA

View Full Version : re-shodding a Rossi?

Ragnarok
10-27-2011, 10:52 AM
I was curious if anybody had installed the Rossi replacement wood offered by Prescision Gun Works(Gunstocks).

I've got a Rossi .44 mag..and the wood ain't just terrible ugly..but it could've been better.

I have thought about it..and decided I like the Rossi M92 enough to spend the $130 or so..if it's more or less a bolt-on deal as far as fitting the inletting and factory buttplate..barrel band..etc.

I don't mind thinning a replacement stock down to fit the action..but really not to intrigued with having to make it slide on...

Anybody re-shod their Rossi with Precision wood?

Thanx..Rag

TXGunNut
10-28-2011, 12:33 AM
Is refinishing a possibility? Sometimes ugly wood just needs stripping and a nice new finish.

Ragnarok
10-28-2011, 08:53 AM
No...basicaly it's got fit issues that sort of bug me....the left-side buttstock doesn't fit up against the receiver very well. The receiver is 'proud' of the wood..and the very front of the wood lacked a bit of touching the receiver. I've got a thin shim added so the receiver/buttstock joint actually touches on that side. Right side is fine...a near perfect fit.

t really ain't that bad looking...the forearm is a perfect fit..the color isn't bad..not the 'near black' Rossi was making the wood..this stock is reddish. The cool little carbine is perfectly accurate and functional..just bugs me the wood don't fit absolutely perfect.

I think I may just ask for a Precision Gun Works Rossi stock set for Christmas.

KCSO
10-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Yes I have done a couple to Winchester them along with changing the front sight to the right post style. Iit will take a little inletting but is still a home project if you take your time and go carefull.

Ragnarok
10-28-2011, 06:26 PM
How good do the forearms fit-up and the Rossi buttplate fit the new stock?

TXGunNut
10-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Sounds like a rewarding project. Post pics, OK?

GARCIA
10-29-2011, 05:10 AM
Used their wood to restock an original 86 Winchester.
Took some time to get it just right but in the end it was well worth it.
The forearm was a great fit that just required final sanding and finishing.
The butt stock's inletting was tight but once worked out it was great.

Tom