PDA

View Full Version : Good Results with Lee Molds

sabrecross03
10-27-2011, 10:36 AM
I happy with my Lee TL .358-158 SWC mold and my Lee TL .452-200 SWC mold. I took the advise of several on the forum and tuned-up my molds. I did some fine sanding on the outside of the mold and on the backside of the sprue plate. I also did a little Lee-menting and a lot of La-menting :grin: I finished-up the mold with Mother's Mag and wheel polish (inside of the bullet mold).

Now I'm going to take a chance with the Lee TL .452-200 SWC 6-cavity mold. I have it on order along with the handles and a couple of more tubes of Lee Alox.

Char-Gar
10-27-2011, 10:57 AM
Lee molds with a little tweaking produce very good bullets. The only downside, is Lee molds have a short life span when compared to other makes and materials.

Wally
10-27-2011, 11:16 AM
Lee molds with a little tweaking produce very good bullets. The only downside, is Lee molds have a short life span when compared to other makes and materials.

One has to take good care of them--I have some from the 80's and they still are fine... Iron molds will rust. When you say a short life span, it implies that you've worn some out, can you elaborate?

Char-Gar
10-27-2011, 12:37 PM
Walley.. If you have been using Lee molds since the 80's you don't need any commentary from me on their quality and life span. Yes, I have had two Lee molds develop problems, that worth not worth fixing considering the price of the molds.

I have well over 100 molds of iron, brass and aluminum, and I have never had an iron mold rust or any other type roll snake eyes on me. As you said.."One has to take good care of them."

sabrecross03
10-27-2011, 02:13 PM
I'm using a small drop of bicycle chain oil to lubricate each of the four pins on the Lee two-molds. The result is that after dropping fresh bullets, the two-half's of the mold align perfectly. In other words, I don't have to use the sprue plate to line them up. This helps save on wear and tear.

Wally
10-27-2011, 02:22 PM
Walley.. If you have been using Lee molds since the 80's you don't need any commentary from me on their quality and life span. Yes, I have had two Lee molds develop problems, that worth not worth fixing considering the price of the molds.

I have well over 100 molds of iron, brass and aluminum, and I have never had an iron mold rust or any other type roll snake eyes on me. As you said.."One has to take good care of them."

You would not have a spare DC Lyman 358345 that you don't need do would you?

I guess that you lube the iron ones as well we all should...with the Lee molds that you mentioned, what has worn out on them?

Wally
10-27-2011, 02:36 PM
I'm using a small drop of bicycle chain oil to lubricate each of the four pins on the Lee two-molds. The result is that after dropping fresh bullets, the two-half's of the mold align perfectly. In other words, I don't have to use the sprue plate to line them up. This helps save on wear and tear.

Might I suggest--use wheel bearing grease instead...it will not cook off as fast (nor smoke) as will oil and it won't run as much...I put a dab of the grease on a popsicle stick and apply a light coating---you should recoat after 100 casts or so.

drinks
10-27-2011, 04:08 PM
I use the super fine nickle never seize grease, one application will last an unknown length of time as some I lubed with it over 15 years ago still have the lube visible.

sig2009
10-27-2011, 07:24 PM

I rather buy 5 Lee molds for $32 each than pay $150 for 1 mold. I have a Saeco and I prefer the Lee.

williamwaco
10-28-2011, 11:17 PM
I happy with my Lee TL .358-158 SWC mold and my Lee TL .452-200 SWC mold. .

I own both those molds in the six cylinder version.

They became instant favorites as soon as I began to load them.

In fact I dropped about 1100 of the .358-158 SWCs this afternoon.

I did have to tune up the .358-158, the the 452-200 dropped perfect bullets after the second degreasing.

sabrecross03
10-29-2011, 07:16 PM
I received my 6 cavity Lee TL .452-200 swc mold and I took my time preparing it. Le-mented the mold cavities, polished the bottom of the sprue plate, and the top of the aluminum block with Mother's Aluminum Mag polish. The result was unbelievable. I cast 450 excellent boolits with only a handful of rejects.

I really like the sprue plate handle on the six-cavity mold verses having to hit the two-cavity molds with a wooden stick.

Dave C.
10-30-2011, 10:52 AM
Char-Gar, I also like the 6 cavity Lee molds but as you said they are
a consumable item. I replace them at about 100,000 boolits.

Inkman
10-30-2011, 02:51 PM
Char-Gar, I also like the 6 cavity Lee molds but as you said they are
a consumable item. I replace them at about 100,000 boolits.

I'll be more than happy with mine lasting that long. I hope i can last that long ;)

Al

emorris
10-30-2011, 10:17 PM
I just got through trying out my new lee molds. They are the 356-125-2r and the 401-175-tc two cavity molds. I just cleaned, preheated, lubed, smoked, and casted. The boolits droped from the mold with ease with out having to do any modification. I have been on a quest to find the right 9mm mold for me and I hope that I have found it after three tries. the first was the TL 124gn TL version followed by the 356-120 tc regular lube groove. I had various issues with both. I have used three different TL design bullet molds TL358-148-WC, TL356-124-2R, and TL452-230-2R. All three casted undersized bullets with ww alloy. I really wanted the Tl452-230-2r mold to work and I sent it back to lee. They checked it casted a few bullets with it and determined it was in spec. They sent it back with the bullets they casted.

Sonnypie
10-30-2011, 10:38 PM
In fact I dropped about 1100 of the .358-158 SWCs this afternoon.

I HATE it when that happens! Boolits everywhere!
It is almost as flustering as trying to get a tray of primers out of the box, the tray catches and... 5^*~!
They fly all over! Primers everywhere! :mad:

But if you wave a lit propane torch over them, they let you know where they are. :shock: :groner:

I only have one gripe with my Lee molds.
The 6 cav drinks lead, and Sh_ _s boolits! It empties the furnace so dawg-gone fast!
It's true what they say about the 6 cav molds, very nice! Too bad they don't make them in my rifle caliber.

mpmarty
10-31-2011, 05:04 PM
Last week I asked LEE the cost to repair a broken six cavity mold. The sprue plate pivot bolt broke when I tried to adjust it. I boogered around with drill bits and easy (not) outs and finally gave up and emailed them. They told me by return email to send it in and they'd fix or replace it for free. This mold was over twelve years old. The new mold came in today by mail and it looks really nice. Heavy vent lines clearly defined and clean cavities. I'll cast some tomorrow.

rbertalotto
10-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Using two 6-Cav Lee molds (200g .452 and 250g .452) and two electric 20 pound casting pots (so I didn't have to wait for more lead to melt when I ran out)

I cast 500 250g bullets and 700 200g bullets in a few hours on Saturday.

By switching the molds they cool off just enough to stop the Frosties and once you get the rhythm down the bullets really start flying!

sabrecross03
11-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Yeah, the new six-cavity molds have great vent lines and seem very sturdy.