PDA

View Full Version : Trimming 45-70 cases too short?

ghh3rd
10-26-2011, 11:02 PM
I just trimmed a few of my 45-70 brass and stopped because it was taking off some long shavings. I measured those that I trimmed at 2.039, although I believe that the nominal length is 2.105. Seems that .66 thousands is significantly smaller.

They are starting off between 2.097 2.101 before trimming.

Any thoughts?

Thanks - Randy

JSnover
10-27-2011, 12:17 AM
You can use them. I found out the hard way, my Hornady LeveRevolution 45-70 brass was about .080" short. I can be safely reloaded but I gave it to another member because the rest of my brass is all the same length and I didn't feel like resetting my dies every time this lot came through.

ghh3rd
10-27-2011, 01:15 AM
Never mind - I'm using a Lee case trimmer, and just realized that I need to use the shell holder as it stops the pin that goes through the flash hole... I was just holding on to the piece of brass, thus a shorter case.

Too bad I wasted a few of my purty 45-70 cases.

Randy

ghh3rd
10-27-2011, 12:33 PM
I found out the hard way, my Hornady LeveRevolution 45-70 brass was about .080" short.

I know what you mean - I didn't have the reloading components by the time I got my 45-70, and broke down and bought a box of LeveRevolution, and paid $34 ($1.70 per round)!. I figured that at least I had about $8 worth of brass that I could reload, but then found out that it's "different".

Randy

mroliver77
10-27-2011, 12:50 PM
Never mind - I'm using a Lee case trimmer, and just realized that I need to use the shell holder as it stops the pin that goes through the flash hole... I was just holding on to the piece of brass, thus a shorter case.

Too bad I wasted a few of my purty 45-70 cases.

Randy

He he he!! I am laughing with you pardner!

I like the Lee system. I need to make up some adjustable pilots though! Not all chambers are the same.
J

JSnover
10-28-2011, 02:05 AM
I know what you mean - I didn't have the reloading components by the time I got my 45-70, and broke down and bought a box of LeveRevolution, and paid $34 ($1.70 per round)!. I figured that at least I had about $8 worth of brass that I could reload, but then found out that it's "different".

Randy

Yup. A box of them goes a long way... cuz you can't afford the next box!

1Shirt
10-28-2011, 04:25 PM
Short ctgs are no problem in a single shot. However in a ctg with pleanty of recoil, if the blt is not crimped well, you could have a major problem and lack of adequate crimping in a short case can be a big problem in something like a Marlin Guide Gun.:coffee:
1Shirt!

Hang Fire
10-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Short ctgs are no problem in a single shot. However in a ctg with pleanty of recoil, if the blt is not crimped well, you could have a major problem and lack of adequate crimping in a short case can be a big problem in something like a Marlin Guide Gun.:coffee:
1Shirt!

Right, just remember the .22 rf in, cb cap, short, long and long rifle, all will fire in long rifle chamber with no problem.

I had a Model 86 in 45-90, I used only 45-70 with the 500 gn boolit seated out to make up difference, worked great with good accuracy.

Dan Cash
10-28-2011, 06:43 PM
Short cases in a single shot or repeater when using cast bullets is a real problem where accuracy is conceerned unless your bullets are hard as the hubs of whey. Even smokeless powder will bump a bullet up on firing. The bullet expands into the void between the end of the short case and the start of the chamber throat. When it hits the chamber throat, a small amount of bullet material is shaved off and deposited at the origin of rifling. End result is moderate to severe leading and accuracy loss.