PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a special seating die

omgb
10-26-2011, 10:05 PM
I'm looking for a seating die that will allow me to place the bullet in a side port on the die above the tool head rather than holding it over the case and bringing the case up onto the bullet. Did'm such a beast once exist called a "Vickerman"?

W.R.Buchanan
10-26-2011, 10:23 PM
I don't know about Vickerman however RCBS sells their Competition Bullet Seating dies for a variety of calibers I have them for .223 .308,and .30-06 And they work really well. They have the wndow in the side and you just drop the bullet into the window with the ram part way up and the bullet is automatically aligned with the centerline of the case.

I average about .001 runout with these seaters, and am loading the best ammo I have ever loaded with these tools.

I would like one for .45-70 and .44 Spec Mag as well but I don't think they make them.

Randy

10-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Vickerman it is. I've seen a Vickerman ad in Handloader/Rifle, but don't know if it's Vickerman or another company selling them.

Arnie
10-26-2011, 10:32 PM
I think Meacham Tool and Die makes the vickerman type for 45/70 .They also make the best copy of a Winchester High Wall .Arnie

scrapcan
10-26-2011, 10:41 PM
here you go

http://www.gmwvickerman.com/

W.R.Buchanan
10-27-2011, 09:22 PM
That is a nice looking tool. I want one for my .45-70s.

I had some problems seating boolits strait last time I loaded, and I can see how this would fix that problem.

Randy

Arnie
10-27-2011, 09:34 PM
http://www.meachamrifles.com/

ReloaderFred
10-27-2011, 10:02 PM
I have original Vickerman seating dies in .30-06/.308, .243 and .22. They work slick. You'll occasionaly see them for sale on e-bay, but they go for good money.

Hope this helps.

Fred

BudRow
10-28-2011, 07:29 AM
I have a Herters "Vickerman" style seating die from many years ago. I am always looking for the inserts for the various calibers. They show up at gun shows every once in a while.

Doc_Stihl
10-28-2011, 08:20 AM
I've got an old vickerman. They work slick. Easy to make seating stems and collars for any caliber you want. What caliber are you looking for OMGB?

It's probably be fairly easy to make if you had access to a lathe. I can send you pics/dimensions if you'd like. I might even be talked out of mine as I do most my loading on a progressive now, and what I don't I have forster seaters for.

StaTiK
10-28-2011, 11:04 PM
Ok I'll ask. What does a "Vicerman" afford you that an RCBS competition seater doesn't at half the cost?

I cannot tell from the website, but are bodies interchangeable (ie one die body multiple stems)?

-StaTiK-

ReloaderFred
10-29-2011, 02:05 AM
StaTik,

You're talking apples and oranges when comparing the two dies. The Vickerman dies have a port on the front of the die, and you insert the bullet in the port, or window. When the case is run up into the die, a sleeve is holding the bullet aligned with the mouth of the case, and the two are joined with the proper alignment. The depth of the bullet in the case mouth is set by a screw adjustment on the top of the die.

I've never personally seen the current offers from the company that now owns the Vickerman patents, but the old original Vickermans were well made, and command high prices on the secondary market, i.e.: ebay.

Hope this helps.

Fred

zomby woof
10-29-2011, 08:28 AM
The Vickerman dies have a port on the front of the die, and you insert the bullet in the port, or window. When the case is run up into the die, a sleeve is holding the bullet aligned with the mouth of the case, and the two are joined with the proper alignment. The depth of the bullet in the case mouth is set by a screw adjustment on the top of the die.
Fred

I'm not seeing the difference. RCBS Competition die is the same concept.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/100_2999.JPG

ReloaderFred
10-29-2011, 01:30 PM
I haven't seen the one with the port, only the solid dies. They would be similar in that regard, but without seeing the interior of the die, I don't know if the sleeve that holds the bullet is similar or not. The Vickerman has just enough tension to hold the bullet in place until it's seated.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Char-Gar
10-29-2011, 05:51 PM
The old Vickerman straight line seating dies are great things and the fellow that is making them now does good work, although very slow with special stuff.

I bought several Vickerman dies back in the mid 60's and still have them. I have had special seating inserts made to take cast bullets and that is what I use for most of my bullet seating. Those and straight line chamber type seaters. I used to by Wilson, but now make them myself.

zomby woof
10-30-2011, 10:09 AM
I haven't seen the one with the port, only the solid dies. They would be similar in that regard, but without seeing the interior of the die, I don't know if the sleeve that holds the bullet is similar or not. The Vickerman has just enough tension to hold the bullet in place until it's seated.

Hope this helps.

Fred
There is a sliding bullet guide. Bring case up to guide, drop bullet into window, bullet drops into guide aligned with case, move case guide and bullet up to the seater. The seater has micrometer adjustment.

ReloaderFred
10-30-2011, 02:25 PM
With the Vickerman, you don't have to bring the case up to the guide prior to inserting the bullet. There is just enough friction to hold the bullet in place until the case is run into the die. The guide sleeves were very precisely machined, which is one of the things that made them work so well.

You have to remember that this design is well over 50 years old, and was probably way before it's time.

Hope this helps.

Fred

SSGOldfart
10-31-2011, 09:55 AM
maybe somebody should try a group buy I'm needing the same thing myself,but it's because I've only got one hand and that's used to pull the press handle
http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2009/09/reloading-seating-die-runout.html

W.R.Buchanan
10-31-2011, 12:51 PM
There is no difference in the basic concept of how these dies work, however one big difference is that RCBS doesn't make a Comp seating die for .44 or .45 cal bullets. I think .30 cal is the biggest?

I have .223, .308, and .30-06 RCBS dies.

With the Vickerman system I would have one die body with many different insert sleeves.

The guy making them now looks to do nice work from what machining I can see, and for what he is offering the price is not out of line at all. I doubt I could make them for less.

Here's the deal. Alot of guys think something is not worth whats being asked. You have to ask yourself "can I make it for less?"

If you can't make it at all,,, then that kind of answers that question, now doesn't it?.

Randy

omgb
10-31-2011, 01:23 PM
OK, so, which of these can be used in a Hornady Lock-N-Load in 30-06? I know RCBS uses an extended shellholder in .308 that of course would not work with the L-N-L.

W.R.Buchanan
10-31-2011, 11:00 PM
The .30-06 one does not use an extended shell holder so it would work in a LNL press just fine.

Randy

oldscool
11-06-2011, 01:46 AM
Here are pics of the old style rcbs comp seater with the click micrometer top and the newer yellow medal style with the adjustable floating seater stem. The older one does not have enough tension to hold the bullet in place, so you need to bring the case up to the sleeve. The newer style does. If you are turning pieces for a vickerman, it would be just as easy to do for the rcbs. Plenty of room for up to .500 boolits.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/556/rcbscomps.jpg

As an aside, here is a picture of the rcbs comp in a B3 ( one of the most OVERHYPED ) presses around, just to show that the long dies will fit.
The press is shown in its normal position in my loading room. Maybe I will find a use for it one day, but am not holding my breath.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/556/rcbscompnoverhypepress.jpg