PDA

View Full Version : Military brass, first primer ignition

DrB
10-26-2011, 08:34 PM
Set off my first cap at the reloading bench ever today priming processed 5.56 brass... LOUD!!! My ears are still ringing. I was using the copper colored wolf kvb 223 primers and LC brass... I noticed that occasionally some of the pieces primed with more effort than others, as though the primer was hanging up initially on the pocket wall. Thought I'd got the pockets reamed/swaged well enough, but not so much.

Lesson learned!

tacklebury
10-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Have had a few using a Lee Classic Loader in the past. Def. loud. lol

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-27-2011, 04:49 PM
WOW, Started loading in the 60s and have never had that happen. Lucky I guess.

Have also loaded a fair amount of military brass, 308 & 223.

Have mostly used the RCBS primer picket swager, but have done some with just a Wilson neck de-burring tool.

Sometimes didn't like the looks after the swaging tool, so added the de-burring tool for a few turns.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

atr
10-27-2011, 04:56 PM
started loading military 30-06 in the 60's....CCI primers and RCBS pocket swager...NEVER had one go off !
am loading 7.62 military ....again with CCI or Rem primers and RCBS packet swager....none go off !
check your swaging....a snug fit yes ! ...but a crushed fit no !

DrB
10-27-2011, 08:14 PM
Yep.

So I broke a basic rule... Pay attention to how the operation feels and STOP and figure it out if it doesn't feel right. Had a couple cases that had a bit of a hitch in seating and I should have stopped. The softer copper cups on the kvb 223s may have played a role, but mostly I didn't do a sufficient job on the pockets.

I primed the rest of the lot last night after checking and reaming the pockets, and had no more trouble.

mroliver77
11-01-2011, 12:03 AM
It was my understanding that the .223 primers were harder to protect against slam fires in the AR types. Yes/no?
The Wolf primers are a bit larger than others and can seat very stiff. They are great for brass that has loosened up the primer pockets.
J

DrB
11-07-2011, 12:44 AM
It was my understanding that the .223 primers were harder to protect against slam fires in the AR types. Yes/no?
The Wolf primers are a bit larger than others and can seat very stiff. They are great for brass that has loosened up the primer pockets.
J

There is a warning to something like that effect for those primers with a suggestion to use a different wolf srp to preclude slam fires.
I hadn't heard about a larger diameter.... I haven't mic'd them.