PDA

View Full Version : Custom 2 cavity .44 Special mold: Suggestions?

Bat Guano
10-26-2011, 08:23 PM
Am picking up from where I left off about a year and a half ago, trying to get a Keith 250 grain cast bullet working properly in a .44 Flattop and a M24. I did establish that I needed sized bullet of .433 diameter to eliminate serious leading. I bought an NEI Ballisticast #1103 4 cavity mold which threw bullets of .436 diameter. However after considerable work with the mold it never cast decent unwrinkled bullets (wheelweights). Having cast since 1962 and owned a number of H&G 4 cavity molds, I think the mold should have come around by now. Perhaps it will, but I confess it has me stymied. In any event, NEI is apparently defunct.

I'm thinking of taking the hit and getting a nice little 2 cavity mold made up to my specs. I recall some posts recommending various custom makers and copied some, but they aren't in my files. Can't find them on a search, either. At the risk of being redundant, I'd appreciate any recommendations people might have, based on experience. I do ok keeping myself in .45 Colt bullets with an old Lyman 2 cavity, and while it doesn't turn out the quantities a 4 cavity will, I get fewer rejects and the lighter weight is welcome.

The weather is turning colder, and the casting season will soon be here. Would appreciate suggestions as I think it's time to order another mold and move along on this project.

Thanks.

I will probably be listing the 4 cavity NEI for sale one of these days in case anyone is inclined to solve the mystery...

PacMan
10-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Veral Smith at LBT can provide you with what ever dia. you desire and you will have one of the easiest casting molds made.
I am a little surprized at the needed dia of .433 unless you have large cylinder throats.

HCL
10-29-2011, 12:09 AM
+1 On Veral, I have a handfull of his molds and everyone of them are winners!