View Full Version : Wax shotgun slugs?

centershot
10-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Has anyone tried this?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/10/07/homemade-wax-slugs/

Kinda' gets me thinkin'.........................[smilie=f:

JIMinPHX
10-28-2011, 10:00 AM
I've known people to do that sort of thing. Waxing birdshot into a solid slug should be safe in most cylinder bore guns. It will probably raise pressures in guns with a tighter choke. I can't say how much the increase will be, but common sense would seem to indicate that there would be an increase. Also, a choke may break up the ball of wax & defeat the original purpose. This trick is a little safer than the other old timer's trick of ringing a shotshell. When you ring a shotshell, part of the case goes down the barrel with the shot & the extra diameter of the case being in there too will increase pressure in any gun, regardless of choke.

Edit:
I just watched the video of that guy making his wax slugs. His methods are different from what I had seen in the past. The ones that I was familiar with used just enough wax to make the shot stick together & used the original star type crimp on top. I guess that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

missionary5155
10-30-2011, 03:02 AM
Good morning
Application and penetration is the key. Pop a wild dog or a deer out in the open at 30 yards would be far different from shooting through a cactus base at a big mean snarly K9 that has it eyes on some white meat for supper. Then I want a round ball. Even a shotshell that is semi cut through the hull at mid wad level is far better than just adding wax when max penetration is needed.
All I have found wax will do is hold the shot together till impact. Then you are dealing with how large is the shot (BB or #7) and what is the impact velocity. If you need to get through very tough outer hide (big pig, neck armor on crocs...) I would not trust a wax load. Again I would rather cut a shotshell or always carry a RB load. But if a wax shell is all I had then I would want several.
Mike in Peru

WallyBear
10-30-2011, 04:39 PM
Funny, I was just thinking about this last week and wondering what a ballistics gel test would look like with a round like this.

sargenv
11-07-2011, 08:48 PM
BPI had a turkey load that utilized axle greese similar to the lead shot held together with wax.. reports were a nice tight pattern.. but I never tried it since it was kind of messy to deal with..

missionary5155
11-08-2011, 10:05 AM
Good morning
Another media that I found was at least repeatable is gallon jugs filled with dry beach sand. If I wanted to see how penetration is affected by tough hide 1/2 " plywood was placed against outside of jug. Not real scientific but repeatable and I am surounded by dry desert.
Mike in Peru