PDA

View Full Version : Lemon oil added to polishing media

sixpointfive
10-26-2011, 04:28 PM
Anyone ever try Lemon oil added to polishing media in your tumbler to polish cases>?:redneck:

subsonic
10-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Never needed it?

Old Caster
10-26-2011, 06:52 PM
Why would you when it works fine without.

BABore
10-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Try pure orange oil. It's a better cleaner/degreaser. Just like in hand cleaner.

Hammerhead
10-28-2011, 04:04 PM
I don't think acids would be good for brass.

gwpercle
10-29-2011, 08:26 PM
I believe you may be thinking of a product called Lemon - Shine or Lemi - Shine . Its sold by STM ( Stainless Tumbling Media ) You put your brass , stainless steel tumbling media, lemon or lemi -shine with water into a rotary tumbler with rubber liner , like Thumbler,s Tumbler Model B and wet polish them. STM sells everything seperatly or as a kit- check out thier web site. Don't add lemon oil to dry media. The best thing i found to add to dry is Isso brass polish, Under no circumstances try clay kitty litter for polishing media - this does not work and fine clay dust/grit gets everywhere and into everything it's a freaking nightmare !

Mal Paso
10-29-2011, 09:43 PM
Frankford Arsenal Brass Polish has what looks and smells like Orange Oil in it. I have some Orange-Sol De-solv-it which sounds like the perfect solvent but the msds says not to clean up with sawdust. Is there a Problem with cellulose? Do we have an Organic Chemist here?

Frank
10-29-2011, 09:49 PM
BABore:

Try pure orange oil. It's a better cleaner/degreaser. Just like in hand cleaner.
So do just go over to the local 7-11 and ask for orange oil? Maybe all they have is orange flavored vitamin water. :groner:

Mal Paso
10-30-2011, 01:32 PM
I did some research. Orange oil or d-Limonene is extracted from orange rinds, is mildly flammable, not water soluble, very good at dissolving oil ( they used it in the Gulf oil spill ). Sounds perfect for boolit lube on my cases. It looks like the bottle of De-solv-it is pure orange oil or close to. It was less than $10 for a 33 oz spray bottle, i think from Home Depot, says Contractors Solvent on the front. Some of the orange oil I found online was pricey but search d-Limonene and you get less touchy feely suppliers.:wink: