PDA

View Full Version : 24 hr Scrap Price??

t_dickinson
10-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Does anyone know a site where the average scrap price can be found like on the kitco ticker pasted to this forum?

I'm looking for what the scrap dealers are paying out on average. Around here, they don't want to give up that information unless I'm standing there with a bucket.

Rightly so, they don't want to give the competition (me) their buying price.

Right now, I pay .30/lb but lead has gone down significantly since I started with that price.

Am I being cheap or should I offer less like the commercial scrappers?

Hickory
10-26-2011, 03:22 PM
http://www.kitcometals.com/
This may help.

tomme boy
10-26-2011, 03:56 PM
Scrap dealer is paying $0.52/lb here right now. I just call them an ask. That way I know what I am going to get when I bring in differant stuff.

KYCaster
10-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Like any other business, the owner has his own theories about how to make a profit. Unless he's a personal friend of yours he probably isn't going to tell you how he arrives at his buying and selling prices.

The only option you have is to compare prices and deal with the one you feel most comfortable with.

It's called the Free Enterprise System.

Jerry

white eagle
10-27-2011, 07:30 AM
what they pay for lead and what they sell lead for
are very different prices

bslim
10-27-2011, 09:23 AM
I'm on my way to pick up 500 lbs of WW's Saturday morning. The scrap dealer wants $.30 / lb. I can't imagine he's paying much for it. $.50/ lb for pure lead but I'll have to see it first.\\

Update: Went and picked up 550 lbs of ww's for $.30/lb. Thought it was a good deal until I sorted all of it and came up with 85 lbs. of steel & zinc ww's. When it's all smelted down into ingots, I'll forget how much I paid for it anyway.

uaskme
10-27-2011, 12:43 PM
I just paid .80 for pure lead at a scrape dealer. They wanted 45 for wheel weights.

GRUMPA
10-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Just got off the phone with a dealer and he charges .21lb (WW) and he needed to see how many lbs of the stuff he had. So I'll have to call him in 1/2hr to find out how much he has. Who knows this just might work out for me, seems better than hunting for it at tire shops.

UPDATE: Well as luck would have it they don't have any at the moment. He told me to call him next week and he'll have more in, I told him I want to get at least 100lbs to make the trip count and I could swear he almost dropped the phone. Guess they don't really have a call for that many lbs in such a small town.

Where I live there is about 8-10 places that sell tires within about a 75mi radius. I live in the sticks and putting on a couple hundred miles on ones car the math just don't work out. Not to mention the closest ones are under contract with some sort of supplier for the old WW.

leadbutt
10-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Who knows this just might work out for me, seems better than hunting for it at tire shops.

never.. the hunt is best especially when its the BIG payoff.

white eagle
10-27-2011, 07:54 PM
I'm on my way to pick up 500 lbs of WW's Saturday morning. The scrap dealer wants $.30 / lb. I can't imagine he's paying much for it. $.50/ lb for pure lead but I'll have to see it first.

round here they are getting .65 for w/w and .85 for all other lead :lovebooli

Defcon-One
10-27-2011, 08:30 PM
These "scrap" prices are local and regional and change dailey. You can see that in the answers above!

alfloyd
10-27-2011, 08:49 PM
Here in Northern Utah, I bought soft lead for $0.50 per pound. It was in the form of counter weights, a Kirk lead ingot ( 50 lbs ) and roof flashing. I bought 445 lbs of it. Still have not yet melted it down into small ingots.
I also got an almost full 5 gal bucket of wheel weights for $20.00.

Got to get it melted down before the bad winter weather gets here.

Lafaun

fryboy
10-27-2011, 11:42 PM
i sometimes hit the kitco site ( where the ticker we have in the header panel came from ) but mostly i check the LME

http://www.metalprices.com/

i have to agree that while the various scrap dealers watch this stuff like a hawk their motto is buy low and sell high ( it has to be ) and no matter what the markets are doing they will vary their own prices as they see fit so the fone calls make sense ( what you dont have them on speed dial ? ;) )

a.squibload
10-28-2011, 04:14 PM
A few days ago I stopped in at a scrapyard, they wanted 90¢/lb.
Paying $175/ton for steel, I might trade some in.
They mostly had plumbers' pipe but they charge the same for any type of lead.
I got some big ingots there (last fall?) for 40-something per lb, alloy similar to WWs.

1911GrayWolf
10-31-2011, 07:49 PM
Just hit the local scrap dealer today, paying about 30 cents a pound for WW, will sell to me for mid 40's cents a pound. Had roughly 4000 pounds, all in 2/3 full plastic buckets on pallets. The price is falling every day, now's the time to get it unless you know when it's going to hit bottom.

lwknight
11-01-2011, 10:19 PM
I wish I could buy lead at 50 cents a pound. I can get 80 cents at the local scrap yard here .
Anyone who thinks 50 cants is high just don't know the real value.

3006guns
11-02-2011, 09:38 AM
........regarding the kitco chart at the top of this section. I'm reading a "price" of close to .90/lb at this point in time. Is this the amount lead is "worth" on the open market? In other words, what I could expect to PAY?

In other words, if I visit a scrap yard and he wants say, .50/lb then it's a bargain? Or is that what he would PAY for scrap lead?

I just don't know how to interpret the chart, and it might come in handy as a bargaining tool with the scrapper.

LabGuy
11-02-2011, 01:50 PM
I think that would be the price you would pay if you were purchasing several (hundred?) tons of pure lead in large ingots. Plus shipping.