PDA

View Full Version : Something I've never seen

45bpcr
10-26-2011, 11:22 AM
I know I should be working,but at times I cast at the shop :-)

Today I was ladle pouring some 45 bullets for my 45-90. 540 grain ones.

I left the pot to actually do some work for about an hour and came back to this!

It was still on and my mols was warming on the rim.

I've been casting for 10 or so years and have never seen this.

It was thick too! About 1/2 in.

The alloy is 20-1 from Roto-metals

45Bpcr

dragonrider
10-26-2011, 11:45 AM
It's coming from you very dirty pot, the walls appear to coated with the same stuff.

cbrick
10-26-2011, 12:05 PM
I see a thermometer next to the pot, what was the alloy temp while you were gone?

Rick

Defcon-One
10-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Looks like we have a lead plague! Same Stuff?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=131098

Sounds like overheating of an unattended pot in both cases. Clean it up, watch the temperature and never leave the pot unattended for so long! You might want to let Roto-metals know and see what they say if it is their, supposedly clean, alloy.

How did the alloy cast?

45bpcr
10-26-2011, 01:08 PM
That's what had me confused.

I cast at 750 for the heavy ones and flux on a regular basis.

I turned the pot down to just barely keep it molten, and do this quite often I might add, after all business is business.

We're all adults here at the shop and my employees know about safety.

As far as the bullets, they cast beautifully with this alloy.

45bpcr

Defcon-One
10-26-2011, 04:40 PM
No idea, but the boolits are beautiful! I'd skim it off and cast, cast, cast! Hopefully, it won't come back.

Chill Wills
10-26-2011, 05:33 PM
It is oxidation. I have had the same thing many times. I can not tell you why it happened this way time this and not others. One thing you can do if you want. Put a little flux in the pot if you are going to let it sit for a while. That will keep the Oxygen from getting to the alloy. You also can put a small piece of aluminum foil over the pot with your mould laddle proped on the rim. Keeps everything cozy warm until you are ready.
As was stated above, don’t worry about too much that spungy/crusty crud. Just flux and cast.
Nice looking BPCR bullets by the way. What mould? Also, Looks like a Browning in your Avatr…
Chill Wills

runfiverun
10-26-2011, 11:43 PM
i think someone poured some raisin bran in there having a joke on you.
empty and clean your pot.