PDA

View Full Version : My desert AO... Arequipa, Peru

missionary5155
10-26-2011, 10:25 AM
Greetings
I thought as most of you will never see Southern Peru I would post a few photos of the every Tuesday ride I am privaleged to make on a Kawasaki into a "end of the road" desert valley named Yalaque . Annual rainfall is less than 1" yearly.
See photos on the following post..
Mike in Peru

missionary5155
10-26-2011, 11:03 AM
The Photos that failed on the previous post...
Top left... flat area where I eat a tangerine & drink some water before climb to Yalaque Valley.
Top right... Looking back where I just left 20 minutes ago.
Lower left.. Looking down into Yalaque valley.
Lower right... Comon home where we have our 1:15 pm Bible study.
From 1st photo to last is only 17 miles... but 30 minutes on the Kaw.
Mike in Peru

P.K.
10-26-2011, 11:07 AM
What's the elevation down there?

patsher
10-26-2011, 11:21 AM
thanks for the pictures, and all your posts.

I keep wondering how you have internet access from there?????

PAI-Scott
10-26-2011, 11:25 AM
Mike,

I spent most of 1998 in Peru, the company I work for was one of several US contractors building a new milk processing facility in Huachipa. The company also had a processing plant in Arequipa, and I spent several days up there.

I got to do some exploring of the country while there, unfortunately not enough to quench my thirst. I have often thought I would like to get back and spend some knock around time exploring the high mountains, deserts, and jungles Peru has to offer.

Looking forward to the pics.

missionary5155
10-26-2011, 11:35 AM
Greetings
Pictures added above.
Elevation tops out at 11,000 at high point.
PAI-Scott Was that working for Leche Gloria ?... I would have been here as we arrived in 1986.
Internet... We live in Arequipa.. 2 million and growing. So we have access to all the baiscs in our area about 5 miles from down town. Get away from the Arequipa Valley and everything changes real fast.
Mike in Peru

PAI-Scott
10-26-2011, 04:35 PM
You hit it. Did three jobs for Gloria in a row, built an evaporation plant in Hauchipa then expanded it to add fresh milk, latter I did work in their Lima yogurt plant.

DLCTEX
10-26-2011, 09:39 PM
Wow, that looks as dry as Texas this year.

JeffinNZ
10-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Now THAT's a desert. Man that's dry. We've had more than an inch of rain this week.

P.K.
10-26-2011, 10:27 PM
11,000? Shoot! What have you done to the KLR? Rejetted yes. Hopefully an exaust and airbox overhaul so it runs for the long term. A filter from one of those "High end" folks may not be a bad investment either. If it runs fine up to that and back down the jetting in the carb may be o-k. BUT the bore in the carb and air box may need to be opened up because of altitude.
Next is your carry gun. Hope it's substantial. Peru isn't like some of it's neighbors but there is a chance it'll spill. Carry at all times. You can't use it if you don't have it. Also, Eiser to ask for forgiveness than permission. (SP's all over.)

MT Gianni
10-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Neat pictures, How far are you from the Salar salt flats?

missionary5155
10-27-2011, 05:17 AM
Good morning
Howdy JeffinNZ I check the USGEO shaker tables daily... Your side of the Ring of fire is the place to be for free easy chair messages.. 20 years ago that is how it was here. We are on the calm right now.
Rain-- For us the rain patterns fron the easst but the Andes block us off.. we are on the west edge .. farther south you go from Arequipa it gets drier. Just southeast of Arica is the driest place on earth according to National Geo.

Howdy P.K. Rejetted my all carbs within the first week of ownership. We live at 8000 and everything is up from here. Grew up in farm land (SW MIch.) and a hobby racer so been turning wrenches all my life. I used to visit Huanca & that has a 13,000 high point and 30 minutes about 12,000. Near burned up a honda 125 trying to get there the first time.

Howdy MT Gianni Salar Flats.. The BIG one is in Bolivia about 500 miles south/SE from us on the Chile/Bolivia border... largest on our planet. About 4 hours east of us at 13,000 is Laguna Salinas which is a salt lake where salt is gathered on a small scale and sold here in town.. used mostly for air drying meat on cloths lines.

EMC45
10-27-2011, 08:31 AM
Spread that Word Sir.

Stick_man
10-27-2011, 09:58 AM
Brings back memories. Much of northern Chile looks just like that as well. Not much there but dirt and copper mine. Nice place if you really dislike humidity. Welcome to the Atacama!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
10-27-2011, 10:08 AM
so dry that they have some of the best preserved mummies in the world , they have caves with winds that blow dry air thru them nearly year round , all they do is cover the bodies in some cloth and they dry out

we took the kids to the mummy exhibit at the Milwaukee public museum last spring , Peru also has the oldest mummies , 6500 year old mummies with no prep like the Egyptians did , and you can still see features and tattoos , amazing how well they were preserved

missionary5155
10-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Greetings Stick man
Interesting reading from another desert wanderer. That Atacama ¡s the place to be to dry out foot fungas. Big copper mines in our area running 24/7. The mine closest to the Yalaca valley ships 3 very heavy semi loads a day of big smelted ingots.

Howdy EMC45 That´s what we do. Just got back from passing out some Gospel tracts. Put a New Testament in every house we can. Encourage everyone to read the Bible & know Christ while the opportunity exists. Nothing like going to sleep knowing our sins are forgiven.

Howdy GreencountyPete The villages I go to there are places where very old tombs are found & looks like yesterday.. except for complete dehidration. People preserve meat by hanging it on the closeline for a week. Normal humidity out there is 5% or less.