View Full Version : if you had $500 to spend

adrians
10-26-2011, 07:50 AM
my wife let me have $500 to go to the next local gun show .
i have mausers,,, mosins, enfields, ect.
what would you be looking for if you were in my situation?
remember only $500 to spend.
have a good day :evil::popcorn::evil:

missionary5155
10-26-2011, 08:26 AM
Good morning
If looking military & do not have...
#1 M1 Garand
#2 M1 Carbine
#3 Military Krag
If looking a civilian & do not have...
#1 35 Whelen
#2 7.62x39 Bolt Rifle
#3 45-70 Bolt Rifle
Mike in Peru

3006guns
10-26-2011, 08:36 AM
How about a nice 1903 Springfield?

Or just use the money to pick up all those "goodies" that make casting/reloading easier..........

Rio Grande
10-26-2011, 08:47 AM

Or just use the money to pick up all those "goodies" that make casting/reloading easier..........

Springfield A303 was the first thing that I thought of too.
$500 just might get you one.

Or a nice .303 Jungle Carbine.

Yance
10-26-2011, 08:52 AM
Primers, powder, projectiles, and brass. Afterwards take her out someplace really nice for supper.

gnoahhh
10-26-2011, 11:46 AM
I like Yance's suggestion best. $500 won't buy a pristine 03 Springfield or Krag, and is nowhere close to enough for a nice Garand. Why spend the whole nut to buy one of those that will surely have issues of one sort or another at that price point? Sounds like you got the field pretty well covered regarding the rest of the desirable milsurp bolt guns. I've always had a secret yen to try an 8mm Lebel, if I could find a nice crisp one. And also there's the Swiss K31 I've been meaning to give a whirl.

One can't have too many Mausers though. Unfortunately it's getting so that finding really nice clean 98's with crisp bores from one of the premo arsenals won't leave a lot of change from that $500. (Personally I've given up on throwing good money down the rat hole of dodgy Mausers with issues of some form or another, unless I'm looking for a donor for a custom job.)

HollowPoint
10-26-2011, 02:13 PM
I'd probably buy myself a large Coke with alot of ice in it, then for the military purchase I'd maybe buy a set of those cheap Dog-Tags knock-offs; just to appease the wife.

The rest I'd use to buy as many reloading components as I felt necessary. Any residual funds would be used for gas or spending money down the road.

When ever I buy a firearm, I buy it with the intention of using it; not to have it sit in a display cabinet or a storage closet. That being said, if I had to choose a military rifle I'd be tempted to buy either an 03 Springfield or use that money to re-barrel my Enfield No.4 Mk1..

I can use either of these rifles in the field for anything from cottontails to Elk. (not that I'll ever get drawn for any big game here in Arizona.)

You're a lucky man to have such a generous wife. Does she have any unmarried sisters?

HollowPoint

10-26-2011, 02:37 PM
For a good shooter and easy to find components- I'd really look for a Mauser (7x57 or 8x57) or 03-A3. The bore is everything! Don't know about the $500 limit. May be better to look and get feel of prices first. The idea about getting one for cheap then finding out later it has a poor or worn bore is no good and no bargain in the long run. Be picky and be patient and maybe even put the $500 in a small set aside fund that can be built up a little over time so you can be more selective. But who knows... the 500 could stir one up that does have good bore.

waksupi
10-26-2011, 03:28 PM
Send me $500, and I will send you $500 worth of guns.

runnin lead
10-26-2011, 04:41 PM
For $500 you could get a K-31 & have $ left to buy brass & dies for it.
You would have a nice military rifle that in a few years from now will be worth
more than you paid.
I felt that I did realy good to find a good 03a3 for $600 (better than good , one small chip)
BUT you never can tell.

Suo Gan
10-26-2011, 05:11 PM
There is a guy on Marlin Owners who has a Husky Swede. He wants $220 shipped. I'd offer him $200. Buy some brass and dies and call it a day. Watch football the day of the gunshow and avoid the crowds.

To me not many milsurps are realistically worth $500. I have owned most types and someone else always wanted them more than me, c'est la vie.

GRUMPA
10-26-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm with YANCE (post #5) on his answer. I've been saving up for months now just waiting for the show in Phoenix on Dec. 2,3,4. So far I got just over 1k and still trying to save more, heck guns aren't even a thought to me just the ability to get more supplies.

adrians
10-26-2011, 05:20 PM
well guys i can always add to the pot (the $500) came out of her purse so my "stash "hasn't been lightened any.
i do like the idea of a Krag , 1903, garand or m1 carbine, i nearly snagged up a K31 a couple of weeks ago but didn't, oh well.
i have no objections to getting another mauser or enfield.
just thought id'e get something a little differant for a change, but it's a feel good situation to be in.
keep the suggestions coming.:grin:
in your part of the country what would a halfway decent afore mentioned run you?.
have a good-un.
adrians :evil::coffeecom:twisted:

bowfin
10-26-2011, 05:47 PM
Okay, keeping to military rifles and not handguns or civilian firearms:

A K31 is well under the $500 range and are a good quality rifle. Same with an SKS, but shop around for one in good condition and not used to burn up a case of ammo in 20 minutes.

An earlier Japanese Arisaka in 6.5 would be interesting to me, and it seems that Gunbroker always has a lot of auctions for Norma or Prvi ammunition for sale.

Around here, carbines, Garands, Springfields, and even 1917 Enfields in nice condition top your $500 price tag, which is a shame.

Shooter
10-26-2011, 06:52 PM
You could buy a K31 and a nice bottle of scotch wiskey, if you have sharp eyes. Otherwise I would suggest somthing with peep sights.
A FR-8 is a handy gun.

dbldblu
10-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Another vote for a K31. Another possibility would be a Finn M39. If you got real lucky, you might find one of each for $500.

adrians
10-26-2011, 07:54 PM
hum fr-8 didn't think of that animal ,,,interesting,,, or #5 jungle carbine,:evil::?::twisted:

Multigunner
10-26-2011, 08:32 PM
I'd look for a sportered but restorable Krag, a couple hundred or so, maybe 300 if great bore and mechanically very good. Then after shooting it some decide whether to invest in the wood and probably barrel to bring it back to original specs, or go all out on making it the best Krag sporter ever.
A real catch would be a school rifle that the owner thinks is a bubba'ed rifle. Don't let on and you might get a great price cut. Many don't know about the turned down muzzle and think its a reftted band sight on a cut down rifle barrel instead of the altered Carbine barrels.

Anyway the only two rifles I'd consider investing much in these days are the Krag or the Garand. Others I'd like would have to be ones I run across dirt cheap.
My first and only Krag was like that, not even looking for one when offered a mechanically good Carbine for 50 bucks. The bore was ruined by Corrosive primer salts trapped under thick cupronickel fouling so I ended up trading it off. It would be worth many times what I got out of it these days even if bore lapped till it looked like bird barrel. If I'd only known about barrel sleeving I'd still have that Carbine. They didn't have repro barrels available back then.

Anyway the Krag seems to be growing in popularity, and more and more are being found in closets of deceased grandpas or at estate sales.

bob208
10-26-2011, 08:38 PM
i would not spend the money at a gun show. you would do better at a real live auction.

some guns i have gotten at auction in the last year

03a3 in nra shipping box with papers never fired $300
03a3 drilled with a scope $200
98k serb rebuild $200
98 peruvian converted by f.n. to .30-06 $200

so you $500 would have bought you 2 nice rifles. thats better then any gunshow.

legend
10-26-2011, 08:41 PM
I would agree on the k-31.

mine was bought sight unseen from SOG and was a steal ! it shoots way better than i can hold,is accurate with a bunch of different boolits/loads,draws a crowd at the range,i load extras for the unwashed masses that will want to shoot it..

AND,you can get a butt load of primers,powder,etc

I would buy a second one in a heartbeat.

RayinNH
10-26-2011, 08:59 PM
In these part $500 won't buy a Garand, '03 or a carbine. You can however buy a sporterized Krag.

You could also buy 4-5 model 91-30's :lol:...Ray

KYCaster
10-27-2011, 12:16 AM
I think you should take Waksupi's offer. (remember me fondly Ric)

Jerry

P.S.....Second choice.........03 Springfield
Third choice.............Krag
Fourth choice...........FR8

Suo Gan
10-27-2011, 12:35 AM
03a3 in nra shipping box with papers never fired $300

I take back what I said earlier.

dualsport
10-27-2011, 12:36 AM
Maybe a pistola? You've got rifles to play with, enough to keep you busy for a while. Everybody should have a Ruger single action, maybe a big one? Or how about a really nice .22? CZ makes some beauties that are not too expensive. OR... a Trapdoor Springfield 45-70.

badbob454
10-27-2011, 01:34 AM
sks russian or yugo, and brass for it

Storydude
10-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Cetme.

azrednek
10-27-2011, 02:08 AM
Smith & Wesson large bore revolver.

ArchAngelCD
10-27-2011, 03:39 AM
I would be looking for a US M1917 or a 30-40 Krag.

gnoahhh
10-27-2011, 11:43 AM
This occurred to me last night. How about a Canadian Ross in .303?

daschnoz
10-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Primers, powder, projectiles, and brass. Afterwards take her out someplace really nice for supper.

+1 on all of the above. If you already have a full gun locker, load up on ammo (or components to roll your own). I fear that in the not too distant future, copper, lead, and brass will be a better metal investment than gold or silver.

tacklebury
10-27-2011, 08:05 PM
Instead of the K-31, perhaps the better shooting 1911 which I shoot. ;)

https://www.cogunsales.com/index.php/Curios-Relics/Swiss-Schmidt-Rubin-Model-1911-Rifle/Detailed-product-flyer.html

http://www.myhostedpics.com/images/tacklebury/1915schmidtrubin75x55.jpg

Uncle Grinch
10-27-2011, 11:48 PM
Adrian,

Have you considered a C&R rimfire? I just picked up a Mossberg 44US (c). These are loads of fun and cheap to shoot!
(22LR ammo) Mine is a civilian version of the US military training rifle.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=256464126

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=257250818

Who knows... you wife may even like shooting it, then you can buy another one.

PatMarlin
10-28-2011, 12:45 AM
Sheesh... it's no wonder krags, 03's, and garands have gone through the roof.

I just picked up a real nice M1891 Argentine.

Idaho Sharpshooter
10-28-2011, 01:58 AM
Yugo 59/66, dies, and 500 pieces of commercial brass. Make sure you match the primer size with your stash.

For Zombie applications call J&G and order their 75rd drum for the SKS. It works great. Ask me how I know...

Rich

adrians
10-29-2011, 01:12 PM
uncle,, and,, gnoahhh.
the rimfire area was something i completely overlooked i have a henry 22mag and a marlin 17hmr( newer mods) but a c&r, huh, uncle you might be on to something ,
and i also never even considered the ross idea ( i have 303's so i'm already set up for loading).
yall got my head spinning around so fast i'm dizzy,ain't life good ?.
gnoahhh ,, isn't the ross a "delicate" rifle?
and uncle ,right now i'm cleaning up a rem mod 341 sportsmaster bolt action 22( small,long, and long rifle) some loon painted it BLACK with a BRUSH [smilie=b:.
yall have a great weekend :twisted::coffee::evil:

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-29-2011, 01:46 PM
+1 on the 30-40 Krag.

in MN, I see sporters go for as low as $350.
a nice original infantry specimen will be around $800.
a real carbine...don't even ask !

Good Luck,
Jon

bydand
10-29-2011, 03:37 PM

$500 would only be a deposit on an 03 Springfield. Times have changed.

Ronbo256
11-01-2011, 12:27 AM
495 plus 22 shipping gets you a CMP M1 Garand "mixmaster" if you can qualify. That's what I'm saving my pennies for.

gnoahhh
11-01-2011, 10:19 AM
Adrians, the only thing delicate about a Ross is if you plan on wallowing in the mud filled trenches of Passchendaele or the Somme. The rifles didn't stand up to the filthy conditions of WWI warfare and were replaced in Canadian service by the Lee Enfield. There was one model (I don't remember which one) that could be assembled incorrectly and fired without the locking lugs engaging but even with that one you have to really work at being stupid to make it happen. It is the less common variant. There is now a website devoted to the Ross that a collector buddy started up recently. (Google it. I'm no good with links.)

Several friends regularly shoot Ross's in the vintage military rifle legs at Camp Perry and finish in the top percentile. A nice crisp one will invariably be a very accurate .303, often outshooting a similar No.1MkIII Enfield. They are examples of old world craftsmanship- finely machined and closely fitted, which is what made them poop out in the trenches.

zomby woof
11-01-2011, 05:18 PM
You will not be able to buy a nice American service Rifle. You could find a deal, probably not. I vote on the K31 also. It shoots cast and jacket great. They can be had for around $300. You'll have money left over for brass. Great rifles.
A Swedish M96 would be another choice.

adrians
11-01-2011, 07:59 PM
gnoahhh, no amount of trench time would suit me at all or a weapon for that matter.
but ,yes the lug problem was what i was getting at ,,, thanks for clearing that up for me :D i was under the (now redundant ) impression that they (ross's) were a tad "delicate" i.e dangerous to play with and it,s good to have that clear now that they can be good rifles. i have a couple of #1-mk3's and a #4 enfield so a ross would be a nice addition to my little family i will be looking out for one at the next show,

zomby woof, the k31 is also on the list, i saw one at the local gander mountain this passed weekend they were asking $399 ,hmmmm, but it was in almost un-issued condition the stock looked beech but not one blemmish anywhere on it ,,,but i put it down when i saw the sticker , maybe $300 and i MAY have thought longer about it.
thanks guys ,,,more things to consider. i like considering ,it's fun but the choosing sucks:lol:
:evil::veryconfu:twisted:

gnoahhh
11-02-2011, 10:13 AM
My dad had a saying. "I can't own them all, but I can own them all one at a time." I guess that's why I have owned over 400 guns in my life, but only have around 40 in my possession at the moment. For me the thrill is in the chase. Once I have it and learn it, I tend to lose interest and start looking for the next acquisition and the last one is used to fund the next, usually. There are exceptions. When it comes to milsurps, the only ones that stay anymore are Springfield '03's (not A3's) or Mauser 98's that are slotted to become classy sporters (I have cut up beautiful 98's that would make Mauser collectors want to lynch me). A tasty Krag would get me excited, but I've owned enough of them not to get in a sweat about it.

TheGrimReaper
11-02-2011, 07:14 PM
Yea, K-31 with all the fixins.

adrians
11-04-2011, 07:40 AM
everytime i have money to spend at will ,usually at shows, i get to the enterance pay my enrty fee and go in with an open mind .
when i get home i almost always have a rifle in my arms , i sit down with it and give it a good look-over and then realise i have a Mauser or an enfield,,,, its like my mind makes everything else go away and i only see these makes and models,, huh!!!
everything else at the gunshow is in some kind of gray blurrrrrr,, my brain only see's germans or brits ect.
i gotta go to a rifle head doctor to rid myself of this "twilight zone" thing and look for rifles other than the above ,,,,.
i need to expand my horizons and open my eyes at the next show
it's gonna be tough,,,, i will buy something but you wait and see i bet when reallity sets in at home, if it isn't a brit or german i will be cured of this dreadfull affliction:kidding:
my only 'this side of the pond" rifle is a trapdoor 45-70 and it needs some hommies to hang out with so 1903 ,, krags, ross;s ,,ect are in my crosshairs (not for $500 though,i;ll have to up the anti a tad ,,oh well).
sorry for putting all my rifle woes on yall but it feels good to get it out in the open:evil::veryconfu:twisted:

oh i was mistaken about the only u.s rifle ,,,i also have a rem 7400 in 243( forgot about that one ) i never shoot it anyway lol.

Chuditch
02-09-2012, 03:50 AM
I would have to say that if I did not already have either or both of;

Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R

Or

FN Columbian Mauser in 30-06

Than your $500 would see me walking out the shop with both of these rifles.

Come to think of it... I don't 'really' have a nice example of an early Mosin Nagant... Hmmmmm maybe I should do something about that.

Sorry to digress... you alrady have mausers and mosins in your collection.

Therefore, I would look for a good preloved bolt or single shot in 35 Whelen. Just make sure the twist is 14:1

Cheers

Adam

madsenshooter
02-09-2012, 08:37 AM
I have several Krags, $500 would buy one that I replaced the forearm on. So far though, a K31 is the best shooting rifle I have, and if I had that $500, I'd have another. And I wouldn't be selling molds on ebay to get by.

wellfedirishman
02-09-2012, 11:37 AM
The Swiss K31 and Swedes are the most accurate milsurp you can get for under $300 I think.

You can pick up sporterized (shortened stock, intact metal) US Service rifles for $250-$300, and you always have the option of replacing the wood later if you want. I picked up a couple of sporter 1903s recently that are nice rifles and shoot great. The action is very slick on them.

RugerFan
02-09-2012, 01:25 PM
Swiss Vetterlis usually have good bores and are a very interesting piece.

ilcop22
02-09-2012, 08:46 PM
I must have gotten lucky. My 1903a3 was purchased for $500 and it was in great shape. My SA 1903 Mk1 was $300, although some parts did need replacing, and there was heavy pitting on the receiver. It did have a new (a3) 2 groove barrel on it, though. Ya never know what you'll find!

exile
02-09-2012, 09:08 PM
You said you had military bolt-action rifles, you didn't say you were looking to buy more.

I have recently been afflicted with the desire for an AR-15 (something I have avoided for 51 years.) Were I in your place I would see what I could do with that five hundred dollars and some trading to get one.

Mitt Romney has come out in the past stating his opposition to semi-automatic "military style" rifles (whatever that means?) and we all know what Obama would do if the Constitution wasn't in his way.

So maybe now would be a good time to get an AR, Garand, M-14, FN-FAL, H & K G3 or something like that.

Man I hope the price on AR's doesn't go through the roof again.

Good luck with your quest.

exile

Four Fingers of Death
02-10-2012, 11:21 AM
I don't know the values over there, but it is getting to the stage here where a milsup with a good bore is invariably well over $500.

lawrance Ordnance in Sydney has unissued Yugo Mausers with matching numbers and a bayonet (no. not matching) for $AU1050!!!!! Nice, but!

If you are looking for something unusual, a French MAS36 is a nice rifle. They usually shoot very well and take 30cal bullets/boolits. Mine is very accurate.

I have an M16 Berthier with a 5 shot conversion and it is an interesting old rifle. Privi Partisan brass and Lee dies available.

The K31s are great, I haven't loaded for mine yet as I got a good deal on Privi Partisan ammo when I bought the rifle. I normally use Lee dies, but the K31s need Redding dies apparently, they are the only ones that exactly match the chambers.

I plumb refuse to buy milsup rifles that don't have good bores anymore.

Maybe a milsup pistol to match your rifles? A nagant to go with the musty nuggets, or an enfield or webly?

adrians
02-10-2012, 06:55 PM
Four Fingers of Death,,,,,
the pistol idea never crossed my mind and thinking about it i could always use another,
a webley would fit right in there with my brits but $500 may not be enough coin to get a good one but there is no harm in looking, the more i let this roll around in my head the more i like the idea.

exile,,,,
the idea of a Garand is always on my mind ,but again more coin would be needed .

pistols,,,, semi-auto's,,,, single shots,,,, levers,,,, bolters,,,,. ect,,ect,,ect.
my head is spinning around and it feels great ,i thank you for that:smile:

have a great weekend yall, :twisted: [smilie=w: :evil:

Shiloh
02-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Another 1903 or 03A3 Springfield. If an 03A3, hopefully one that is pretty original yet.
Otherwise a nice sporterized version that was decently drilled and tapped for a scope.
Then, I would try and re-militarize it the best I could, keeping the scope.

Shiloh

Dirty30
02-16-2012, 04:46 PM
I would try to find a garand or 03 Springfield. You may not find a perfect one for that price, but you may find a fair one for a good price and buy parts with the remaining money. If it was me I would buy all the parts I could find to bring my collection into better working order.

Bullet Caster
02-16-2012, 06:22 PM
I've got an M1 Garand that I paid only $350.00. Of course that was about 10 years ago. Birchwood stock (sniper stock) and a really good bbl. It's completely Springfield Armory made in May, 1942. I'm presently reloading for it; I only have about 200 pieces of brass for it but I'll reload those 200 pieces of brass until they can be reloaded no more. I would suggest that you get a good AK-47 or an AK-74. I've not seen anyone on this board that reloads for an AK-74; don't know if dies are even made for it yet. I know that the AK-74 is about as close to an AR-15 as you can get. I've got a friend that has an AK-74 and he said it was as accurate as his AR-15. The AK-74 will be the next rifle I will purchase. They're starting to come down in price as the availability is getting better. Just a thought. BC

oscarflytyer
02-16-2012, 11:33 PM
my wife let me have $500 to go to the next local gun show .
i have mausers,,, mosins, enfields, ect.
what would you be looking for if you were in my situation?
remember only $500 to spend.
have a good day :evil::popcorn::evil:

NO BRAINER! Swiss Schmidt Rubin, 7.5x55!!! Should be ~$300.

Then kill the change with a nice Turk Mauser, or cheap 7x57 Mauser (good luck w/ THAT one, but never know), or maybe get lucky and find a Carcano. Lacking luck on the 7x57/Carcano - go after a M95 Steyr 8x56R. Last resorts - Nagant pistol, or CZ

IF you can find the above, you should be able to deal for two rifles/C&R guns for the $500. Good Luck!!!

waksupi
02-17-2012, 01:46 AM
Upgrade guns I already have. Bells and whistles, like better sights, stock or grips to start. That would burn up $500 fast.

OTThomas
02-17-2012, 07:31 PM
Well you could try and snatch up a deal like I did, I got a six digit serial numbered springfield armory m1 garand with 350 rounds of ammo (all on clips) for the low low price of only $525! Cause, you know, that kinda deal happens all the time.

Four Fingers of Death
02-19-2012, 04:59 AM
I was at a gun show today and saw 9m and 45 Norinco 1911s for $AU500 which means they should be a lot cheaper in the States. I have a 9mm Norinco and it is a great pistol. The ones I saw today are nicely finished and have a proper beavertail grip safety. I ordered one in 45ACP. I would have bought one on the spot, but I wasn't prepared and didn't have that much cash on me. I hadn't expected to be able to attend the show. I will send him a money order during the week and pick it up when I'm up that way. You would end up with enought money for some dies and brass, etc.

30cal
02-24-2012, 06:52 AM
Powder,primers and boolits.Maybe a couple of loading goodies,Ive got enough rifles to feed already.

greenwart
02-24-2012, 02:43 PM
I agree with many of the above K-31. I have been able to score 2 m96's for 2 benjamins each, but I was very lucky to get them.

Bob

101VooDoo
02-25-2012, 01:36 AM
Finn M39.

Four Fingers of Death
02-25-2012, 05:29 AM
I will be taking my K31 to the range tomorrow morning. There was no brass available when I bought the rifle, but I got a good deal on Privi Partisan (sporting) ammo. I will send a couple of packets downrange to check zero, etc and I will have cases to load some boolits in.

I was in Sydney the other day and saw the bayonets for sale. I don't know why I didn't buy one as they were reasonably priced (in comparison to other milsup bayonets). They are one awesome looking bayonet, in the white and looking like a minature sword from the middle ages.

jrhoney
03-05-2012, 04:46 AM
I am currently dealing with this decision. I think I have settled on a Swedish Mauser and Finnish M39. Might be a bit over $500 but the ones I have my eyes on should be just about right.

adrians
03-05-2012, 08:19 AM
Well being a sucker for those little carbines, i went to an out of town gunshow this weekend and spent about an hour in the place .
i walked around with one eye closed , i hate looking at those rifles i know i can't afford :-?
But walked out with a nice ARG Engineers carbine and had money to spare, that will go in my "keep it secret from my wife box".
On a side note does anyone know why they were given the name "engineer"?
i know they were reworks of the cav carbines but why Engineer,,,huh!
were these meant to be carried by the big dog in the buisiness end of those steam trains......[smilie=l:
thanks and have a great week.......:evil::coffee::evil:

Four Fingers of Death
03-06-2012, 08:04 PM
i walked around with one eye closed , i hate looking at those rifles i know i can't afford :-?

There is an old Jewish proverb which says:
'never go to an auction when you don't have any money.' (or words to that effect).

I remember being dragged into a big gunshow once when I was horribly broke (the price of the ticket into the show was even a problem (I had sandwiches and a vacuum flask in my backpack because no way could I afford to eat there).

It was an interesting show, but I have never seen so many cheap guns! D'Oh! :(

I am glad I went, because it was a really tough time and I needed a day out and I did enjoy myself, but it was tough passing up on those specials, lol.