PDA

View Full Version : Miilet red dot scopes-any good?

jmsj
10-25-2011, 09:26 PM
Hey Guys,
I am getting to the point where my eyes have really starting to have problems seeing iron sights. It seems to have gotten a lot worse this year.
I have a S&W 4" 686 that I got back in the early 80's and it has always been a great shooter. I am still able to clear 6" plates at 25 yds pretty quickly (for me) but shooting for groups on paper is aggravating, even with loads that previously had proven really accurate.
This S&W 686 pistol is the one I am thinking of putting a red dot scope on. I was wondering if any of you have used the Millet red dot sights? I know that the Ultradots are really good but money has gotten really tight and the Millets are about $50.00 cheaper.
Any input is helpful.
Thanks, jmsj

Dan Cash
10-26-2011, 07:34 AM
I have one that is several years old mounted on a Ruger .22 pistol. It works well; adjustments are repeatable and reticle is visable under a wide variety of light conditions. The dot is a bit large for my tastes but I don't care for dot sights.

Crawdaddy
10-26-2011, 04:43 PM
CAnt comment on Millet but I have a low end Tasco on my 44 magum and it works great. Hasnt come off center yet.

Bula
10-26-2011, 06:33 PM
I too have one set on a Browning Buckmark, so far so good. It isn't exactly dealing with any kind of recoil. Dot is a little big (5moa I think), but at 25-50 yds, works fine for plinking.

parrott1969
10-26-2011, 10:42 PM
I have the Zoom dot ( Bushnell bought out Millet) and love it. Very rugged and dependable.

bobthenailer
10-27-2011, 09:48 AM
I have the same problem cant see the sights good enough to shoot my best . i have some sort of red dot or scope on most of my handguns .
A Millet is a OK scope ! ive only had one but sold it because it was the smaller field of view 1 inch tube.
the Millet will be pretty big length& size wise on a 4 inch gun ! IMO it wont look right !! I have a 4 inch S&W with a burris fast fire, In your price range i would recomend a Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 there avalible from $70.00 to $90.00 or as a 2ed option and a little larger sight, a Tasco red dot sighting device @ $35.00 , there rated up to a 357 mag and seem to hold up .
. A weaver mount would be the least expensive @$6.00 must drill & tap gun

gwpercle
01-06-2012, 06:55 PM
jmsj

I had given up shooting handguns because could not see sights and target any longer. At a gunshow dealer had a Ruger 22 pistol ( thier semi-auto ) set up with a Millet 1 inch red dot sight. He said all you have to do is put the red dot on the target and pull the trigger. I bought it . He was right no focus required. I love it.

I mounted a Tasco on my 38 spcl. Smith & Wession model 64. I like the 1 inch Millet better. The Tasco is bigger and bulkier. I do not find the larger field of view to be of any advantage. The Millet has all the field of view I need and because it is more compact it doesn't add any unnecessary bulk to the rig.

I would trade the Tasco Pro- Point for a 1 inch Millet in a New York second.

fecmech
01-06-2012, 09:14 PM
I have been shooting a 1" Millett for about 10 years now on my K38. The first one failed after about 5 yrs and maybe 10K rds (I shoot hunters pistol silhouette with it). In the process of that game I start with a 50 yd zero, upclick 2 for 75 and upclick 3 more for 100 yds then go down 5 clicks for the next course of targets. Millet replaced my failed dot for free, no problems. If this one fails I'll just buy another one, as far as I'm concerned Millet has more than earned my business.

BTW I have looked at the Bushnell TRS- 25 and the one I saw had a lot of parallax in it. If you go that route set the sight on a solid surface and put the dot on something 25-50 yds away and move your head around while looking through the sight. You do not want to see the dot move off the target with your head movement, that's parallax.

S.B.
07-22-2012, 03:39 PM
I use an Ultra dot on my deer pistol and a cheap Chinese reddot on my S&W 22A-1. Be careful when shopping for these the cheap ones are hard to see in bright sunlight and their reostats don't adjust much.
Steve

Shooter6br
07-22-2012, 08:39 PM
My Ultradot is really nice.Returned a Millet.My cheap Tasco on my Daisy 747 is brighter and adjusts perfectly. No real recoil.It cost a wooping $32 at Walley World.Heavy recoil an Ultradot

Any Cal.
07-29-2012, 12:52 PM
I have/had a couple Millets and like them a lot, but they don't get that much use. They used to have poor reviews on heavy recoiling guns at Cabelas, but I was using them on rimfires and they were great.

S.B.
07-29-2012, 01:09 PM
My Ultradot is really nice.Returned a Millet.My cheap Tasco on my Daisy 747 is brighter and adjusts perfectly. No real recoil.It cost a wooping $32 at Walley World.Heavy recoil an Ultradot

Air guns are harder on optics than any other firearm. Their scopes(airgun dedicated) are the toughest going.
Steve

Nobade
07-29-2012, 01:12 PM
I have an Ultradot on a TC 32 H&R barrel for hunter's pistol and a Vortex SPARC on a 7mm TCU barrel for big bore. I really like the Vortex, it has a 2 MOA dot and is plenty bright enough to use in sunlight. They are $200 at retail so kind of pricy but small, tough, and work great.

I just ordered another one for my Marlin 336 for hunting.

07-30-2012, 12:23 AM
Had a Millet. It failed right out of the box. Tried a few and ended with a TRS-25. Now I have 5 TRS-25's.

seagiant
07-30-2012, 03:21 PM
Hi,
Here's a pic of my Lone Eagle 444 Marline with a Tasco $50 red dot! Never a problem!

tenx
08-21-2012, 12:12 AM
ultra dot has been on a lot of bullseye pistols and a lot of shooters swear by them. the first ultradot i saw mounted on a 45 slide made me wonder how long it would last, first the impact of firins, then the slide coming to a halt in full recoil and them slamming to a stop when the slide stops foreward . thats a lot of wham bam thank you mams for every shot fired, i know they are 45 wad loads but after thousands of shots a year and over several years thats a lot of banging around. ultradot isn't the only dot sight out there but when people have to count on their equipment working most of them (bullseye shooters) depend on ultradot. ultradot dosen't give me anything to plug their equipment, i just know what works. look at the firing line at camp perry, lots of ultradots there. i really like mine. after all i may be an old fart that can't see as well as i used to but thaat dosen't mean i take my shooting any less serious. look up "the encyclopedia of bullseye pistol" and theres an article "facts and figures about dot sights" by john dreyer. it compares several dot sights and issues like parralex, apparent dot shape (they're not all round ya know) and other interesting things. good luck and shoot stright............

jmsj
08-21-2012, 01:27 AM
This thread is 10 months old and still getting posts.
Since I first started this thread I bought and mounted a Millet 3 MOA sight on my Bisley Hunter in 44 Mag and did a thread on it. It has held up and held zero. It was amazing how this sight has enabled me to shoot small groups again.
I liked it so much that I bought one of Millet's multiple size dot sights and mounted it on the old 686 mentioned in the original post. I bought the multiple size dot sight not so much as to be able to vary the dot size on the same gun regularly (I know that the consensus is that they don't hold zero when changing between dot sizes)but to be able to try out different size dots to see which size dot I like for different situations. I got to shoot it this weekend and was able to chew up the X ring at 25 yards.
I'll have to see how these sights hold up over time. I still don't like the way the red dot sights look on pistols or how the make handle but I like being able to shoot small groups again.
Thanks, jmsj

Stork
08-21-2012, 02:38 PM
ultra dot has been on a lot of bullseye pistols and a lot of shooters swear by them. the first ultradot i saw mounted on a 45 slide made me wonder how long it would last, first the impact of firins, then the slide coming to a halt in full recoil and them slamming to a stop when the slide stops foreward .

I had over 35,000 documented rounds on my first slide mounted UD on my wad gun. Figure a third of those were my long line loads (4.4 WST behind a 210 gr H&G68) and the rest were short line (3.5 Clays behind a 196 gr H&G 130). It was still holding zero when I got nervous before going to Perry in 2007 and replaced it. It's still on one of my 22's and going strong.

FWIW

crabo
08-22-2012, 01:09 AM
I have the same problem cant see the sights good enough to shoot my best . i have some sort of red dot or scope on most of my handguns .
A Millet is a OK scope ! ive only had one but sold it because it was the smaller field of view 1 inch tube.
the Millet will be pretty big length& size wise on a 4 inch gun ! IMO it wont look right !! I have a 4 inch S&W with a burris fast fire, In your price range i would recomend a Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 there avalible from $70.00 to $90.00 or as a 2ed option and a little larger sight, a Tasco red dot sighting device @ $35.00 , there rated up to a 357 mag and seem to hold up .
. A weaver mount would be the least expensive @$6.00 must drill & tap gun

I did this for testing, and it came off immediately afterwards.