PDA

View Full Version : CCW holder shoots thug in Minneapolis

pmer
10-25-2011, 06:00 PM
http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2011/10/21/police-%e2%80%98good-samaritan%e2%80%99-shoots-kills-alleged-robber/

Here's a guy that a tough decesion and ended up letting the lead fly.

The deceased suspect was on paper for two other robberies and his mom has had trouble with the law too.

Recluse
10-25-2011, 06:18 PM
Reading the comments from some of the pacifist CHL folks up makes me want to barf.

Of course, this is also Minneapolis/St. Paul area we're talking about. . .

:coffee:

P.K.
10-25-2011, 06:25 PM
Sounds like WCCO has it's mind made up. Unfortunatly the CCW holder may be in some trouble. It sucks but he could get poped by the Grand Jury all because of circumstances. Thechnicly the "life and death" portion of the altercation was over with AND he chased the perp. All he had to do was stay with the woman and wait for the constabulary to arrive.

Dunno what the political climate is but it sounds like with the right spin by the left he'll be hung out like a "dirty harry" or "rambo" out on the hunt. Between the article and the t.v. coverage it sounds bad for the CCW holder. The 5 shots mentioned at the very end may hold some hope. If the perp opened fire on the CCW holder he may get out of this permit intact. Hope it boils down that way.

Hardcast416taylor
10-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Just a few days back an 81 years young man in Detroit traded shots with a potential car jacker. Both were wounded by shots exchanged. The punk jacker was wounded worse and will be arraigned when released from the hospital. The 81 yr. old was treated and released for his bullet graze. The 81 yr. old was licensed to carry.Robert

P.K.
10-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Just a few days back an 81 years young man in Detroit traded shots with a potential car jacker. Both were wounded by shots exchanged. The punk jacker was wounded worse and will be arraigned when released from the hospital. The 81 yr. old was treated and released for his bullet graze. The 81 yr. old was licensed to carry.Robert

In that case the "Castle Doctrine" applies. Unfortunatley for the young man in MN it doesn't. He wasn't protecing his property and he was not defending another with the event of "loss of life." I feel for the kid. Doing the "right" thing and right thing in the moment is a slippery slope. Us monday morning types can talk untill we are blue in the mouth. But the kid may be in trouble. If those "5 Shots" I mentioned were not all from his gun and started by the perp a good ending may come of this. If all 5 were from the CCW's weapon...Ouch.

Bloodman14
10-25-2011, 11:21 PM
Happened here in Springfield, Mo. not too long ago. BG was attempting to mug an old lady; Joe Citizen intervened, but then attempted to hold the BGs for the police. The BGs left the scene, and Joe Citizen pursued, and fired several shots at the BGs vehicle. JC was arrested for Aggravated Assault, Assault with a Deadly Weapon, and Assault with Intent, IIRC. JC lost his gun AND permit. After that, IDK.

pmer
10-25-2011, 11:38 PM
I tried to watch some some news for an update but didn't catch any more. Half way into WCCO's 10:00 pm news they were doing "the importance of hand washing". So I guess it's out of the news cycle. Then again if they could dig more dirt on the good guy they would broadcast it.

P.K.
10-25-2011, 11:49 PM
I tried to watch some some news for an update but didn't catch any more. Half way into WCCO's 10:00 pm news they were doing "the importance of hand washing". So I guess it's out of the news cycle. Then again if they could dig more dirt on the good guy they would broadcast it.

Sounds like it's going to get a "No Bill" vote from the Grand Jury. Whoo Hooo! For the CCW holder!

5-0 prolly confirmed that the CCW holder didn't fire first and the perp did. Drop of all charges will come if he was charged.

Next will be the ACLU and a suit against the CCW holder.

Somebody needs to contact him and get him in contact with the NRA. They have a civil defense fund to deal with cases like this.

pmer
10-26-2011, 12:07 AM
http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/132487488.html

Here is something from the Minneaplois newspaper at 13:15 hrs today.

Olevern
10-26-2011, 09:27 AM
Too few details about what happened in the alley behind the buffet to comment. If the intent of the ccw holder was to make a citizen's arrest and the perp pulled down on him, all is well. If, on the other hand, the ccw holder gave chase and summarily executed him, that's a whole other story. Pistolwhipping and robbery, as horrible and tramatic as it is, is not generally punishible by death.

And that decision belongs in the hands of a jury, not one individual.

Myself, even as a retired LEO, I would not give chase to an armed felon, however, if I came upon the armed robbery I would have no problem shooting he felon down in the act, as it meets the qualifying "Is someone in imminent danger of serious bodily harm or death?"

Just my opinion, every ccw holder has a responsibility to give serious thought to what they would/should do in various senarios before he/she ever straps up and ventures into public places with a gun, otherwise in the heat of a situation one is at a disadvantage of having little or no time to formulate a response they can live with going forward.

Hasty decisions are often faulty decisions.

My personal threshold is a very simple "Is my life or another's life in danger?" Barring that, my concealed carry piece remains concealed.

WARD O
10-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Keep in mind that the newspaper in question is know locally as the "Red Star" which reflects their political stance. If they had anything bad to offer on this issue they would have it on the front page in bold type!

Hopefully nothing bad will come to this CCW holder.

I agree with Olevern's philosophy - use it only as protection, let the police do the chasing....

Ward