PDA

View Full Version : My latest Webley Acquisition

klcarroll
10-25-2011, 12:53 PM
I know that there are some here who will appreciate my latest acquisition.

It’s a civilian Webley Mark IV, in .38/200. The weapon has a 3” barrel, the small “civilian style” gripframe, and the crossbolt hammer safety in the frame above the grip.

According to my serial number research, it was manufactured in 1965 or 1966, …and is in virtually unfired condition.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad334/sockmeister/S7301235B.jpg

Needless to say, I am feeling rather pleased at the moment! :bigsmyl2:

Kent

9.3X62AL
10-26-2011, 07:49 AM
NICE LOOKING example, sir.

I had no idea that the Webley top-latch revolvers were made into the 1960s. When did they cease production?

Those diminutive grips don't give much to hold on to in recoil. The 38-200 loads aren't "magnums" per se, but they do jump around a bit in the service model or the S&W M&P. 200 grains departing at 700 FPS or so does push back a little.

klcarroll
10-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Yeah, ……..a lot of people are surprised at how long the Webley MK IV was in production! The last MK IV was serial number B88165, completed on 7 Sept 1979.

Unfortunately, due to laws and regulations rammed through by the British Government, Webley “enjoyed” a very limited marketplace in the years following WWII: ……With virtually all of their production intended for the police market. (…..After the wartime production runs, the British Military had plenty of MK IVs in stock!)

This sad state of affairs is illustrated by the fact that only 49,000 MK IVs were produced in the 14 years following my example’s birthday: …..That’s only some 3,500 revolvers per year!! (...less than 300 per month!) …………Pretty grim, when you consider that unlike S&W or Colt, Webley really only produced one model!

…..And concerning the small gripframe: …..Webley did produce oversized grips for that small gripframe. I have a Singapore Police issue MK IV that features the same small gripframe, but is equipped with grips that are almost as large as the wartime production models. (….I always figured that the Brits loved those big gripframe military .38s because that big frame made the revolver much more effective when used as a club! :bigsmyl2: )

Kent