PDA

View Full Version : How did this work?

Ragnarok
10-25-2011, 11:55 AM
When I was a kid..my father had a couple Remington Model 12A rifles.

One of these was a really battered specimen with a worn out bore..barely visable rifling..shot crappy with little accuracy.

My father would take the crappy shooting 12A..pull a bullet from a .22 shell..and force it through the bore with a cleaning rod..then the rifle would shoot pretty decent for a box or so of ammo!

I don't know what happened to the crappy Model 12...but I vividly remember Pops rodding a bullet through the bore to get some accuracy from it.

All I can figure is it worked one of two ways..either the bullet forced through the worn bore removed accumulated leading..allowing the rifle to shoot good again(for a while)..Or the bullet pushed through the bore deposited lead in worn spots and imparted accuracy again..

Whatever the bullet pushing did..it worked..but I never asked him why it worked..and I'm not for sure what happened to the crappy 12...I suspect it was cannabilized for parts to rebuild the good Model 12..it still is in existance..and I'm pretty sure it's wearing the buttstock off the worn-out rifle(brother has the good one)

So..just what was Father accomplishing when he shoved a bullet through the Rem Model 12??

Mk42gunner
10-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Probably deleading the barrel, lead sticks to lead. We used to decopper the bores of ouf 5"/54 buy forcing a lead lap through it.

Robert

Ragnarok
10-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Izzat a naval cannon 5"/54?

I remember looking down the bore of the worn out Model 12..and it was pretty bleak. You could 'see' rifling..or more like where lands used to be..and pits. I suppose corrosive ammo took it out.

Would a crappy..about smooth .22 bore lead enough to kill accuracy?

I've only experienced leading problems with one .22 LR gun in my life..and that was a cheap FIE .22 single-action pistol...for some reason or other it tended to lead-up bad. All others have been good..however I don't tend to buy low quality arms..especialy .22 caliber guns.

I will buy crappy/used up high quality arms though!..I like to tinker on these.

gnoahhh
10-26-2011, 11:55 AM
5"/54= 5" bore (caliber)/ barrel 54 calibers (270") long, right?

Mk42gunner
10-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Izzat a naval cannon 5"/54?

I remember looking down the bore of the worn out Model 12..and it was pretty bleak. You could 'see' rifling..or more like where lands used to be..and pits. I suppose corrosive ammo took it out.

Would a crappy..about smooth .22 bore lead enough to kill accuracy?
Yes it can, very quickly too.

I've only experienced leading problems with one .22 LR gun in my life..and that was a cheap FIE .22 single-action pistol...for some reason or other it tended to lead-up bad. All others have been good..however I don't tend to buy low quality arms..especialy .22 caliber guns.

I will buy crappy/used up high quality arms though!..I like to tinker on these.

Me too.

5"/54= 5" bore (caliber)/ barrel 54 calibers (270") long, right?

Yes Sir, with a range of 26,000 yards. A nominal projectile weight of 70 lbs and inital velocity of 2650 fps.

A Mk42 Mod 10 was rated at 34 rounds per minute, also.

Robert