PDA

View Full Version : Bench top scale suggestions

lts70
10-25-2011, 10:28 AM
I want to pick up a small to medium sized bench top scale to measure ingots and odds and ends. Not sure what I want just yet but I would think one that goes from under a pound up to at least 50lbs. Any suggestions?

timkelley
10-25-2011, 11:12 AM
Search 'electronic postal scale' on the net. You can get 0-50 Pound scales for 25-30 bucks, sometimes less.

P.K.
10-25-2011, 11:14 AM
If you like that flea bay site there are a bunch of old postal scales on there.

mdi
10-25-2011, 12:24 PM
I use a digital fish scale I got from Cabelas. I made a hanger of light brass sash chain (three equal lengths and a 1" split ring) and attached to a plastic pan. I can weigh from 1 ounce to 50 lbs. Works for me weighing ingots and fishin'...

Mike Kerr
10-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Very Interesting. I have a Dillon Beam Scale which is for powder and bullets and it is just great for its purpose. I also picked up a Mechanical "Pelouze" brand postal scale which goes to 50 Lbs in two oz increments about 7 or 8 years ago and its great for its intended use.

Like you, I need a bench scale - not one requiring lab precision and set up. I think I need one which is for finer tasks than the "Pelouze" but definitely higher capacity than the Dillon beam scale. There are boatloads of inexpensive digital scales that I think may prove only semi accurate as they get older. Likewise there are many good quality digtital scales with excellent features and high price tags which I question my own need for.

Anyway I haven't been able to pull the trigger on a seemingly simple purchase. Maybe suggestions you gather in this thread will help me as well.

regards,

:smile::smile::smile:

jsizemore
10-26-2011, 11:55 PM
I use a My Weigh Ultra Ship 55. Weighs to a tenth of an ounce. Got it from Old Will Knott Scales in Enid, Ok. I've used it to weigh silhouette pistols and rifles before matches and mix alloy when casting for the past 6 years. Battery or wall wart powered. I bought it as a discountinued model when they went to the current updated model. Cost all of $18 shipped. Current model costs more. I check it against the certified scales at the PO and IGA grocery store. Still dead on.

alfloyd
10-27-2011, 12:07 AM
This the one I use.
Works great for me and goes to 70 lbs.
Just be sure to get it when on sale. :)

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=postal+scale

Lafaun

JSnover
10-27-2011, 12:24 AM
I picked up an old Ohaus beam scale at a yard sale. Don't know if it was gov't surplus or company property in a previous life, but it still had a calibration sticker on the side. Good for mixing lube ingredients by weight.