PDA

View Full Version : How does one harvest lead shot from a Skeet feild?

lts70
10-25-2011, 09:59 AM
I may have access to a private skeet range that has not ever been salvaged from. How does one go about collection? Shovel and screen?

sundog
10-25-2011, 10:56 AM
There are commercial outfits that will do it. Trying to do it by hand would not yield enough to be worth the effort.

P.K.
10-25-2011, 10:58 AM
I may have access to a private skeet range that has not ever been salvaged from. How does one go about collection? Shovel and screen?

That's alot of time to invest in mining but, and it's a biggie, if you are lucky enough that the stations have been in place long enough alot of it will be in "narrow" wedges about 1/2 way through a station. Most of the gents I knew to frequent the pigion shoots threw ALOT of shells and usually hit the bird in the same place every time. Another good spot would be where the seasonal guy's sight in their slug guns for deer.

Good luck!

Larry Gibson
10-25-2011, 11:39 AM
If you have access to a cement mixer (the small portable kind), power and water shovel the lead laden dirt into the mixer, run water in it and run the mixer. The lead shot will seperate from the dirt and sink to the bottom. The dirt will float up and out with the water.

Larry Gibson

runfiverun
10-25-2011, 06:09 PM
sluice box. rocker box, number-2 shovel.
gold mining and lead mining are exactly the same operation.
lead is 17 and gold is 19 on the specific gravity scale.
if i were doing it on the cheap by hand i'd use a gold pan to find the hot spots then build a sluice box set up to recirc the water and shovel away.
or take home the good dirt and do it there with a garden hose and a cut in half ribbed pipe set up.

Dan Cash
10-25-2011, 06:16 PM

John Deer has a tracked, self propelled harvester for this work. You can choose between three pick up head witdths and two diesel engine options. It does require a 5,000 gal. water trailer not included in the MSRP.

akajun
10-25-2011, 10:46 PM
bulldozer, tractor with a front end loader, and a sluicebox.

WILCO
10-26-2011, 11:41 AM
If the ground is hard and barren of grass in heavily leaded spots, simply use a stiff broom, dust pan and bucket. I've seen it under those conditions and was able to scoop it up with my hands, but had to leave it as I was only a guest. As stated before, bigger desires require bigger efforts.

KYCaster
10-26-2011, 11:52 PM
John Deer has a tracked, self propelled harvester for this work. You can choose between three pick up head witdths and two diesel engine options. It does require a 5,000 gal. water trailer not included in the MSRP.

Uh, Dan.....you failed to mention what the MSRP is.

When you consider the cost of the equipment and the cost of the deal with the range, it's almost impossible to break even on one range. I figure it will take close to 100 tons of reclaimed shot to pay for the initial investment.

Jerry

OBIII
10-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Two words: Lead Magnet :drinks:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :roll:

Dan Cash
10-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Uh, Dan.....you failed to mention what the MSRP is.

Jerry

I would say somewhere north of $300K
Dan

Mugs
10-29-2011, 11:46 AM
Ck. here http://mcneeleyenterprises.com
Mugs
IHMSA 5940

leadbutt
10-30-2011, 11:26 PM
Metal detector and tweezers? Sounds cheeper then the other ideas but it may take a lil longer but its debatable. lol.

L. Bottoms

Sonnypie
10-30-2011, 11:34 PM
Two words: Lead Magnet :drinks:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :roll:

Naw, ELECTRIC lead magnet! ;-)

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/AKwh9s6dJ_630mf9eEbTPtfTikniA6TmlS6WkWtXE3rXgFhSWr lgx1iECAVduhmykZT0gAtKCZrznR5tUg8i_1z0AWW6w6bX-pHAWMA-VEarV7S1gdFJSebS3MYpTFKfnNSNNNog7HsiUNBeAWce-NwhhqDtFYqlVPb5ojRt1JrAGhrey87iGpE

(I tried it, and all I got was steel shot. I got gipped!)

a.squibload
10-31-2011, 12:08 AM
Ck. here http://mcneeleyenterprises.com
Mugs
IHMSA 5940

That looks pretty good for a club or group.

I remember reading about a vacuum system, but don't know how well it could work,
there was no digging involved. I assume most of the dirt was spit back out.

Sonnypie
10-31-2011, 12:10 AM
I inquired about buying reclaimed shot near me.
The manager told me they have a guy who comes in from time to time and has a machine that sweeps the shot up and air separates the dirt back out of it.
It is a shot harvester. And designed specifically for gathering the shot from skeet and trap ranges.
He suggested I just get the new shot and not fuss with the dirty shot.

So I just bought the bags of new shot, loaded up all the scatter-gun hulls I had, and had collected. Then melted down some and cast peestola boolits from it.
With the bags of new shot, you have the assurance it is what it sez it is, and no baloney mixed in with it.
Being as I like double duty from things, having the lead as shot is a win-win for me.
It is usable as shot, and available for casting lead.
Magnum Shot has 4-6% Antimony in it, I just add some tin in the form of lead-free slober. (24" = .31% according to Bumpo. ;-) ) Makes great 45 boolits! :drinks:

bigjake
10-17-2015, 08:40 PM
There are commercial outfits that will do it. Trying to do it by hand would not yield enough to be worth the effort.

Its definitely worth the trouble!! I dug 100's of lbs. of 7 1/2 and 8 shot.

Tenbender
10-18-2015, 05:09 PM
I will rent you my lead magnet ! :kidding:

CHeatermk3
10-18-2015, 07:13 PM
Reclaimed shot makes good rifle boolits.

leadbutt
10-18-2015, 09:02 PM
LOL Talk about raising the dead.

L. Bottoms

JWFilips
10-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Tweezers:bigsmyl2:

376Steyr
10-21-2015, 12:47 PM
Last post from the OP was over two years ago, and it too dealt with salvaging lead from ranges. Hope he didn't go downrange at the wrong time...

RogerDat
10-21-2015, 02:57 PM
Why not use a lead magnet? We have a brass magnet and everyone knows casting and reloading stuff sticks to him. Of course being a lead magnet at a target range might work out badly.... Hmmm. You first.

Frank46
10-21-2015, 11:22 PM
If it were me doing the salvaging I'd stick my generator in the back of the truck with a shop vac and a 50' extension cord. Bunch of 5 gallon plastic pails. Frank

bruce drake
10-22-2015, 01:38 AM
If you have access to a cement mixer (the small portable kind), power and water shovel the lead laden dirt into the mixer, run water in it and run the mixer. The lead shot will seperate from the dirt and sink to the bottom. The dirt will float up and out with the water.

Larry Gibson

BINGO!!!! This method definitely works if you have the time.

But you'll have to scrape the surface of the range with a shovel to get the pellet laden dirt and the club may ask you to replace what dirt you take out and do your water-sluicing efforts away from the range.

Nose Dive
10-22-2015, 02:17 AM
Gee... lotta answers....

My decision on this...is 'what do I do?'...

I look at 'effort vs. product'. Or...can you get a back hoe...shovel up stuff...shake it through a screen,,,cheaply...little effort.. and come out with some 'decent smelt' material.

I do have a 'screen shaker'. Home made... Use it. do get range scrape... and do smelt it.

FEED MATERIAL is not from the skeet range. Maybe in a few years..with the back hoe...might work. but, if there is grass...no. forget it.

Don't know if I helped or not.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast, Good. Kindly pick two.

Sasquatch-1
10-22-2015, 06:39 AM
There was the guy on the TV show Haven who attracted bullets. Just have him ride on the front of a skid loader. :bigsmyl2:

Now on the serious side. What about using a street sweeper attached to a skid loader. Could probably rent the rig.

Why not use a lead magnet? We have a brass magnet and everyone knows casting and reloading stuff sticks to him. Of course being a lead magnet at a target range might work out badly.... Hmmm. You first.

bangerjim
10-22-2015, 02:12 PM
A VERY good magnifying glass and tweezers!

And BenGay for your back.

Seriously, I would leave that sleeping dog lie. Way too much work for little yield.