PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with Lee lube ?

straight99
10-25-2011, 09:42 AM
It seems like everyone on here has there own lub mix. 45/45/10 seems to be the favorate. My question is "What is wrong with Lee lub as it is ?" I have used it for years and maybe I don't know what I am missing.

RobS
10-25-2011, 09:47 AM
Nothing wrong with it regarding performance as it was intended. The big thing is the Lee Alox lube is tacky and takes longer to dry. The 45/45/10 mix takes care of both issues the Lee lube leaves behind and works as well if not a bit better for many shooters.

straight99
10-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Thank You. I will give that a try.

mdi
10-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Nuttin' wrong with alox. Most folks use way too much at first and it drys very slowly and remains tacky longer and will gum up dies. When thinned with mineral spirits, alox (or xlox which I prefer) drys relatively quickly, isn't tacky, and smokes less than straight thick (even warmed) alox. I have used thinned alox for several years and dip lube some boolits (hold the boolit by the nose, dip into thinned alox up beyond the grease groove (s) but below the crimp groove, set on waxed paper or alum foil and dry). Sometimes I'll dip twice, but it usually isn't necessary at .44 Special or 45 ACP velocities. I have used it at Magnum velocities, but I like to "play" with different loads and lubes and usually pan lube with a bees wax based lube for Magnums...