PDA

View Full Version : New smelting pot

odinohi
10-25-2011, 03:38 AM
I had a friend make me a new smelting pot. Its made out of 12" pipe and is about 12" tall. He came up with an idea for a bottom pour valve that I knew probably wouldnt work, but he is doing the work for next to nothing so I thought I would give it a try. I got it back the other day and smelted some pure lead in it. Well after it melted a couple inches of molten lead it found a pinhole that wasnt welded right. It was right near the valve where there wasnt much room to get his welding gun in. I tried to empty the pot with the bottom pour and there was no control of the flow. I knew there would be some bugs to work out, so I'm taking it back to him to cut out the valve, fix the bad spot in the weld, and replace the valve with one I bought from BigBlack a while ago. Its got a lot of potenial and is going to make things so much easier and quicker. I'll post some pics when i get the bugs worked out.

ReloaderFred
10-25-2011, 01:37 PM
I'd be interested in seeing what you've got for a valve, since I'm about to make another smelting pot for my second smelting furnace. I've been using an 8 pound ladle with my first one, but if I can speed up the process, and maybe reduce the splatter, it would be a big improvement. My ingot molds each hold 8 pounds, so being able to fill them from a valve would be a better process.

Fred

odinohi
10-25-2011, 07:12 PM
I'd be interested in seeing what you've got for a valve, since I'm about to make another smelting pot for my second smelting furnace. I've been using an 8 pound ladle with my first one, but if I can speed up the process, and maybe reduce the splatter, it would be a big improvement. My ingot molds each hold 8 pounds, so being able to fill them from a valve would be a better process.

Fred

Fred, follow this link. Post#7 and #11

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=49483

imashooter2
10-25-2011, 07:47 PM
What a remarkably simple and robust idea for a smelting valve. BigBlack had a stroke of genius there!

ReloaderFred
10-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Thanks, that's just what I was looking for. Easy to make, and simple to operate.

Who could ask for more?

Fred