PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Printing Plates?

Thor's Daddy
10-25-2011, 02:04 AM
We run 26 x 23 x 0.012 inch aluminum printing plates here at the shop (I'm currently waiting for the pressmen to unbreak whatever broke this evening).

Occasionally we process some that we never use because they get damaged (usually scratched) before they even hit the press. Tonight there were eight such plates.

Would these be useful to anyone for making gas checks?

I don't use any GC boolits at this time, but thought I could start setting some of these unused plates aside. Maybe I could cut them and ship them via USPS priority box to someone who could use them. I've heard of guys using aluminum for checks, but have no idea what form they prefer the raw material.

Not looking to make a buncha money, just trying to give a little back to the brotherhood.

castblast
10-25-2011, 04:02 AM
The used ones work just as good, just clean off the ink. What kind of press? Sounds like a half-web.

JeffinNZ
10-25-2011, 04:23 AM
Litho plate is the SINGLE best material I have found yet. Good on you.

iwottopq
10-25-2011, 07:03 AM
Hello JeffinNZ.
A question for you: You use one or two layers for your gas checks? This becouse in my Patmarlins GC maker for .30 caliber one layer is thin, two seems to be good but I have not made sufficient experimentations, but three are too much thick and the GC maker breaks the outer layer.
Thanks in advance
Nino

Sonnypie
10-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Odin,
Please check your Private Messages.

Sonnypie

Thor's Daddy
10-25-2011, 03:48 PM
The used ones work just as good, just clean off the ink. What kind of press? Sounds like a half-web.

We've got two. A Goss Community and a Goss Urbanite.

Most of the plates are recycled for $$$. I figured they'd all work, but in order to lower the cuss-word-quotient I'll probably only utilize the clean ones.

Now if I could only find that paper cutter...

Thor's Daddy
10-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Odin,
Please check your Private Messages.

Sonnypie

PM inbound, Sonnypie.

JeffinNZ
10-25-2011, 05:21 PM
Hello JeffinNZ.
A question for you: You use one or two layers for your gas checks? This becouse in my Patmarlins GC maker for .30 caliber one layer is thin, two seems to be good but I have not made sufficient experimentations, but three are too much thick and the GC maker breaks the outer layer.
Thanks in advance
Nino

I use an outer layer of printing plate and an inner layer of soda can wall. This is my .303 Brit checks in order to make 16 thou. Works great. I would think that 2 x 12 thou would be too much.

arjacobson
10-25-2011, 07:03 PM
We've got two. A Goss Community and a Goss Urbanite.

Most of the plates are recycled for $$$. I figured they'd all work, but in order to lower the cuss-word-quotient I'll probably only utilize the clean ones.

Now if I could only find that paper cutter...

I worked for a machine shop that made goss replacement parts. VERY tight tolerances and odd sizes for parts.. We made bunches of parts for them over the years. I figured the presses had to be good with all the tight tolerances and quality materials in each part.

iwottopq
10-26-2011, 02:35 AM
Hello to all.
Thanks JeffinNZ.
Ciao
Nino

goofyoldfart
12-08-2011, 01:08 AM
:bigsmyl2:@ Thor's Daddy: out of curiosity, just how thick are those Aluminum Litho plates? Just curious. God Bless to all.:redneck::cbpour:

Ozarklongshot
12-08-2011, 11:38 PM
I have kodak litho plates off of a 26 x 24 Hamilton and some Ashton presses they run from .018 to .022 depending on what press we were using. I don't even know if they make them anymore. I retired from the printing industry in 2000. I use them for all kinds of stuff. I may try making checks with some. Right now I have plenty of copper. What kind of adjustments have to be made to use Aluminum instead of copper?

DLCTEX
04-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Our local printer told me today that his litho plates are .007 thick. Does this sound right? He offered to give me some next time I drop by. I'll check it out.

JeffinNZ
04-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Probably. It can also be .016 inch. 7 thou would make lovely .22 checks.

yottey
04-06-2012, 07:53 PM
We use .008 on our presses.

Three-Fifty-Seven
04-16-2012, 08:05 PM

JeffinNZ
04-16-2012, 11:12 PM
Two ply them for .30cal checks.

tomme boy
04-16-2012, 11:58 PM
I have about 50 plates that are about 44"x56" They are 0.019" I used to use these to skin duck blinds I built for boats. Most are new that are scratched and could not be used. I might have to start doing rifle boolits to get away from the jacketed ones.

JKH
05-03-2012, 12:31 AM
As Jeff in NZ stated lith plate has the best qualities for gas checks of ANY material available, easy cutting and forming, good retention when properly fit to the bullets gas shank (many methods to do this), and NO springback! I have sold tons of. 008" plate to members here and people around the globe Charlie has put in touch with and all have beem pleased and had great results. I use this exclusivly for all my checks and simply Beagle my molds to increase shank size as needed for proper fit with one layer or super glue if I'm lazy, this stuff cant be beat! I have enough scraps leftover from. sales to makes several hundred thousand checks and will never even bother trying other materials again.

So give it a try and see first hand what excellant checks you can make, especially if you have a Freechex III tool, then you :grin:have the best of both worlds! :grin: