PDA

View Full Version : Skeeter load in a Bulldog Pug?

kelbro
10-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Not real familiar with the Charter Arms line but I like the look of the Bulldog Pug. Newer model. Stainless.

Will these handle a steady diet of Skeeter loads? It would mainly be a truck gun but I like to practice every now and then.

If not, what would be a good load for this pistol using 240-250grainers?

MtGun44
10-24-2011, 11:48 PM
My guess is that you will cry "Uncle" before you will hurt the gun.

Bill

Bret4207
10-25-2011, 07:44 AM
I use 6-6.5 grs Unique behind the 429421 in my BD. I've shot the Skeeter load of 7.5 grs Unique. I didn't think it was all that terrible, but it shot quite a ways from my point of aim, so I dropped it back down. The gun will likely take the loads on an infrequent basis, but it IS a lightly built gun. Actually, I'm basing that on an older model, what the newly made ones will take I don;t know. I hear a lot of horror stories about Charter products.

Why not try working up from 6.5 grs or so and see how you and the gun like it? Nothing says you HAVE to use Skeeters N-frame load.

kelbro
10-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Thanks. Question was based on the fact that I have a lot of those already loaded for my Lipsey's Bisley 4 5/8". Those shoot with some authority in the BisHawk so I thought they might be a handful in a lightweight. No problem starting lower.

After searching this forum, I'm on the fence about this pistol. They seem kind of hit or miss on the quality.

W.R.Buchanan
10-25-2011, 03:40 PM
Kelbro: I also have a Lipsey Bishawk. I haven't gotten to shoot it yet but was planning on a Skeeter load for it.

Does that gun shoot to POA with that load or close? I would like to start at about 6.0 gr of Unique and shoot for 700-800 fps. Those cool MIHA pent HP's will expand at 600 so I ws thinking I'd be good at 700+

Randy

kelbro
10-25-2011, 03:45 PM
No Randy, they didn't. It needed a taller front sight installed.

Bret4207
10-25-2011, 05:52 PM
Thanks. Question was based on the fact that I have a lot of those already loaded for my Lipsey's Bisley 4 5/8". Those shoot with some authority in the BisHawk so I thought they might be a handful in a lightweight. No problem starting lower.

After searching this forum, I'm on the fence about this pistol. They seem kind of hit or miss on the quality.

That;s probably the best way to describe them. I've had the BD for some years and I love it to death. Had a Charter 22 or 22 mag that I had use of many years back, it wasn't so hot IIRC. A friend had a Charter AR 7 that was a tack driver believe it or not. Hit or miss.

runfiverun
10-25-2011, 07:04 PM
the bulldogs are built to carry/sit in drawers [not the same thing] not target shoot.
the 2 ruger b-hawks i have in 44 special do shoot to poa with the 429421 and 7.2 grs unique.
they have adjustable sights though.
i havent tried the bisley , got one just haven't shot it yet.

if i were to carry the bulldog i'd use the same 7.2 gr load for carry. and practice with a somewhat lighter load.

leftiye
10-25-2011, 11:22 PM
I've never been able to hit the side of a barn (from the inside) with my older charter arms bulldoggy. that being with 250 grainers, or anything even a little hot. I haven't carried it for thirty years because of that. Now, I have a lyman 429348 180 gr. wadcutter mold, a new barrel, (bulge in the old one) and rubber Pachmayr grips. We'll see how that werks soon. I'd suggest a load like this with non max loads of 700X in a bulldog. As runfiverun said they aren't target pistols. But neither is my Kel Tec 9, or my derringer. Duh.

HeavyMetal
10-26-2011, 01:05 AM
I have a target Bulldog, 4 inch barrel adjustable sights, it still weighs 19OZ empty!

Shot a bunch of 429421 loads in her you bet stiff loads hurt even with pachy's on!

Ultimately I went to the 429348 full wadcutter at 180 grains and loaded to about 950 FPS

good solid load that grouped very well and cut full caliber holes in anything I hit! not uncomfortable to shoot either

thats the boolit load combo for any bulldog!

a.squibload
10-26-2011, 02:50 AM
Hot load not really necessary with a 250 SWC, 800 or 900 fps works fine,
hits to POA. Will poke a hole in almost anything.
My Bulldog is older, the wood grips fit me better, smack a little with a hot load.
I did notice one time before going out to shoot that all the screws were loose.

x101airborne
10-26-2011, 05:16 PM
I shoot 7 grains of unique under a 250 swc in my bulldog. Rarely ever empty a cylinder at a time, but carry it often. Sweat will make them corrode although they are stainless (or supposed to be). Shot several smaller (under 100 pounds) pigs and most were one shot kills when my eyes were calibrated correctly. Against two legged snakes, I dont think any 44 cal load to the middle is a mistake. I chose the 230 grain wadcutter from our group buy for this very purpose.

Now if I can get the powers that be to make me a 240 grain wadcutter in 45 cal for my 625PD...

MT Gianni
10-26-2011, 10:47 PM
I sold mine this spring when I bought a Lipsey. It was s 3" and shot 7.0 gr unique under a 429421 2" left @ 25 yards but in a 3" group. IOW, it was all I wanted or needed at the time. You knew when you shot one but it was only shot a few times a year.