PDA

View Full Version : Peep Sight for Win 1886??

ohiochuck
10-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Which sight is easiest to use and easiest to maintain?
Lyman #21 Type Blued Receiver Sight or bolt peep?
Thanks!

GARCIA
10-25-2011, 04:31 PM
I am actually looking at the Williams 57 (?) for mine.

Turnbull also has a mount for the Burris Fast Fire that uses the same mounting screws as the Williams sight.

Tom

Freischütz
10-27-2011, 04:52 PM
I believe you'd be happier with a bolt peep or a standard receiver sight than with a Lyman 21 type.

On the 21 friction holds the elevation setting. If the lever is inadvertently loosened or if a heavy weight pushes down on the sight, it can be pushed down flat against the receiver. Graduations on the sight aren't fine enough to restore the settings. This happened to me twice while moose hunting. Luckily I was able to sight in again.

Another potential problem is the windage adjustment. Some type 21 sights use an aperture that is pushed by hand. Some are adjusted with a screw. On the former the aperture can be accidentally knocked out of adjustment. If the aperture is loose in the slot it can be knocked off.

ohiochuck
10-27-2011, 09:27 PM
Does the bolt peep sight on Winchester lever guns use the same front sight as used with the rear open sights?
Thanks!
Jim

GARCIA
10-31-2011, 08:13 AM
More than likely.
Really looking hard at the Williams receiver sight with an MVA hooded front sight.
The MVA offers two aperatures in one sight. It's a flip up style.

Tom

GARCIA
10-31-2011, 08:16 AM
Believe it does.
Found the front sight of my dreams!!

Tom

http://www.montanavintagearms.com/combo_front.html

missionary5155
10-31-2011, 09:12 AM
Good morning
Have 2 (jap) 1886 45-70 models. The light weight carries a receiver sight & the 26" octagon model has a tang sight. I like both. They do what they should with no fuss. I left the irons on the tang sighted model for under 50 yards. The tang is set dead on 125 yards. The light weight I sighted for 75 yards as it is in the river bottoms mostly.
Mie in Peru