PDA

View Full Version : More FE than ZN but mostly PB...Common?

lts70
10-24-2011, 08:43 PM
I got my first 5gal of wheel weights this weekend. It took four willing stores out of 12 to get my 5gal bucket. But they were free so it was worth it.

So I noticed that there were a ton of Iron (FE) weights probably an 1/8 of the bucket. I found only a handful of zinc (ZN), literally a handful. I may have missed a few but not many if any at all. As I took a pair of side cutters to anything that wasn't obviously lead or clearly marked. I was expecting a lot more ZN than I got.

Is this normal for Utah?

bumpo628
10-25-2011, 02:51 AM
It's typical for California. I always get way more steel than zinc.

I'm saving the zinc and steel weights separately. Maybe one day I'll figure out what to do with the zinc. I plan to trade the steel weights along with some cash to one of those tire shops that always says they have to send the weights back to the battery company. Just have to find someone willing to make the trade.

NHGrumpyGramps
10-25-2011, 05:52 AM
This is also typical of what I see. Most of what I cull out is steel with just a few zinc. Still getting about 75% lead, but this goes down a little each time I can get a bucket. One dealer told me that steel will be WW of choice as the lead bans start to cut out use of lead one. He did not think that zinc would be a factor due to higher cost.

captaint
10-25-2011, 07:32 AM
I get more Fe than Zn too. Gotta watch those Zn ones. Some of them really look like lead. The ones that aren't riveted. I sorted one bucket Saturday. One more to do. Then it's smelt time. I'll have 3 buckets and some pipe to do. That'll get it done for Fall. enjoy Mike

Defcon-One
10-25-2011, 06:29 PM
About typical for me, too!

I see about 85% Lead, 10% Fe, 3% Zn, maybe 2% other junk (stripped lug nuts, valve stems, bolts, etc.).

skeet1
10-25-2011, 10:15 PM
I've been finding about 25% steel and ZN in my buckets.

Ken

odfairfaxsub
10-25-2011, 10:26 PM
i got lucky. i got a bucket with..........hardley any zinc or steel.