PDA

View Full Version : Lee 6 Cavity Question

Forester
02-11-2007, 09:55 AM
I recently picked up a Lee #90380 because it was a great price and I had been looking for a .38 mould to mess with a little.

I first cleaned it up good with acetone and smoked it but I was having trouble getting good fill out, I tried running hotter, colder, dropping the alloy farther into the mould and moving the mould up close to the spout, no luck at all.

So I decided to clean it up again and this time I boiled it in water and a little dish soap and rinsed it good,, then used acetone again and rinsed it good. Then smoked it and had exactly the same results as before.

One thing I have noticed is that the vent lines on this mould are not just shallow, they are non-existent. Every other 6 cavity I have (just 3 others) has noticeable vent lines in the mould face. Is this a problem with the mould or do some bullet designs not have these noticeable vent lines?

If it is a problem with the mould, would Lee likely take it back and fix or replace the mould?

RayinNH
02-11-2007, 10:31 AM
Forester, if your other 3 moulds are made by Lee and the vent lines are deeper it could be a problem with this one, however a mould will cast without vent lines. You don't mention what alloy your are using. You could add a bit of tin to see if this helps with the fill out. You've already adjusted your temps so it's probably not that unless your not going as high as you think you are. If all else fails contact Lee and maybe they will recut/cut the vent lines...Ray

SharpsShooter
02-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Generally speaking, fill-out problems are temperature related. I'd say you need to crank up the temperature and get that mould hotter. I have cast with several small diameter 6 cavity moulds from Lee and not found one that would fill out with temps below 850-875*. Unless you are preheating the mould by floating it on the melt, it will take several casts to get the temperature up the proper range. Cast at a good pace and don't look for rejects until you are done. You can also do away with the smoking of the mould. Some moulds like that treatment and some don't. I use hot water and Dawn dishwashing liquid to clean and don't smoke a mould unless the situation requires.

SS

Forester
02-11-2007, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the info so far. I will try not smoking the mould at all and see how that does. I will clean it up good again and try it sans the smoke.

As for temperature, my second attempt with the mould (when it was as clean as I can make it) I was fairly particular about things and I cast 10-12 drops at each temperature from 700-950 in 50 degree increments looking for the "sweet spot".

Up to this point I have only used straight WW alloy with good results in .45ACP and .30-30 Win. I haven’t had problems like I did with this mould yet so I haven’t tried adding some tin to the mix. I may be trying some .444 boolits for a friend soon and will try a little tin in the mix then.

P.S. boiling with a little dish detergent did work on another Lee mould that I previously tried Frankford arsenal mould release on and never could get good results from. Cleaned it up good, smoked it and it cast beautifully.

P.S.S. ShapsShooter: I live in VA but work in your area some. I buy timber for Mullican Lumber in Ronceverte WV. Do yall still have plenty of snow on the ground there?

SharpsShooter
02-11-2007, 06:50 PM
As for temperature, my second attempt with the mould (when it was as clean as I can make it) I was fairly particular about things and I cast 10-12 drops at each temperature from 700-950 in 50 degree increments looking for the "sweet spot".

Go for 900* and really pre-heat that mould

P.S. boiling with a little dish detergent did work on another Lee mould that I previously tried Frankford arsenal mould release on and never could get good results from. Cleaned it up good, smoked it and it cast beautifully.

Every mould has different tastes

P.S.S. ShapsShooter: I live in VA but work in your area some. I buy timber for Mullican Lumber in Ronceverte WV. Do yall still have plenty of snow on the ground there?

Yes sir! we still have plenty and are expecting more early this week.

Good luck with that mould.

SS