PDA

View Full Version : Unidentified Relaoding thing? Maybe?

darthdave22
10-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Hi fellows, someone here must know what this is! I am of course assuming it is a reloading implement of some kind. It has the same exact finish as my Redding powder measure. Im sure its probably no good anymore. The crank still turns but I found it in a burned out house I bought this spring so its rusty all around. I found some charred cardboard boxes Redding stuff in the vicinity but I dont know what it could be. Thanks! http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_145444ea5f9f5dcd0e.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2495)

Roundnoser
10-24-2011, 07:56 PM
OOOhhhhh! I love this game!!! I've seen alot of old reloading stuff over the years, but nothing like that! I have no idea.

Ugluk
10-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Easy. A loob groove collator. A few pieces missing though.

darthdave22
10-24-2011, 08:14 PM
I figured it was missing some stuff. Theres a key that comes out of the bottom of the dish that must attach to the doofalator..... I googled a Lube groove collater er whatever and I didnt get much haha what does it do?

wv109323
10-24-2011, 08:27 PM
Looks like some type of tensioning device for a V-belt ??????

wiljen
10-24-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm going to agree with WV109 I think it was/is a tensioner for a belt driven tool. I think the fact that the powder coating is the same color as your Redding is more coincidence than by design.

Johnk454
10-24-2011, 08:57 PM
Hmm. Dunno.

Appears to have some gearing. Perhaps if it still had a stone wheel attached it would be a wall mounted grinder for sharpening knives and such?

dragonrider
10-24-2011, 09:22 PM
It is not a reloading tool. It is a bench mount tool, note the vertical piece on the far right has a mounting hole. There is a crank handle attached to the "gearbox", I suspect it is some type of hand operated rotational tool. It is geared to increase the speed of the output device.

W.R.Buchanan
10-24-2011, 10:07 PM
+1 dragon rider. I saying a bench mounted hand crank grinder for sharpening hand tools.

Randy

nanuk
10-24-2011, 10:11 PM
+2 dragonrider

a few more pics from different angles would be helpful

I'd suspect a stone was fitted of the round disk with flange.

wgr
10-24-2011, 10:16 PM
+1 dragon rider. I saying a bench mounted hand crank grinder for sharpening hand tools.

Randy

i agree looks like the one i have

fryboy
10-24-2011, 10:26 PM
could be a crank for a forge .....belt driven to the blower ( and the fan more than likely had real babbit cast in place bearings lolz ) mounted either underneath the pan or on a leg , but that's just a guess as well , more fotos/views would help

RayinNH
10-24-2011, 10:45 PM
Hand crank smoke grinder?

Roundnoser
10-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Easy. A loob groove collator. A few pieces missing though.

Are you gonna let him off the hook? The poor guy spent time trying to look it up! :lol:

Ragnarok
10-25-2011, 10:42 AM
I think it's a gunsmithing buffer/metal buffer...basicaly an early version of a bench grinder

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Nope, it is a loop groove processor.

When complete, it removes the seeds from loop grooves so they can be used on boolits!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Sorry, I relality, I have NO ideeee,,cdoc

darthdave22
10-25-2011, 06:43 PM
ok guys more pictures coming please hold.....

Pigslayer
10-25-2011, 06:55 PM
OOOhhhhh! I love this game!!! I've seen alot of old reloading stuff over the years, but nothing like that! I have no idea.

I like your quote. I like even more another from "The Shootist". " I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted & I won't be laid a hand on." " I don't do these things to others & I require the same from them."

darthdave22
10-25-2011, 07:39 PM
better yet here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=2jRl510hlZM

3006guns
10-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Well, I'll be darned........I haven't seen one of those things in years...can't remember the last time I even used one! They were pretty primitive technology but did the job back when I was a kid on the farm. We have far better tools these days that perform the same function almost twice as fast as that thing ever did, thank God.

Boy, does it bring back memories...........

Ugluk
10-26-2011, 04:22 AM
Are you gonna let him off the hook? The poor guy spent time trying to look it up! :lol:

Sorry! Wasn't really expecting it to be considered serious.

Darthdave, just goofing.. Hope I didn't cause a lot of brooding.
On the upside though, now you're introduced to a real classic; the awesome humor of the retro fitted loob groove..[smilie=l:

fourarmed
10-26-2011, 01:33 PM
After seeing the square shaft on the one in the youtube clip, I'm going to say it is part of a film editing machine like a Movieola. Looks exactly like the shaft on a 16mm movie projector.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-26-2011, 04:25 PM
Yep Fourarmed,

If not correct, you must be in the correct department with it being some type of winding device.

It sure does look like a film reel spindle.

CDOC

3006guns
10-26-2011, 04:42 PM
fourarmed, I think you get the prize. It's pretty obvious that there's two gears and the hand crank would drive the larger one, resulting in a very fast speed on the smaller spindle gear. Perfect for rewinding film. Movie houses used to use them.

darthdave22
10-26-2011, 05:28 PM
hmm i dont have much use for it i guess

darthdave22
10-26-2011, 05:43 PM
I think you may be right about the film winder, now that you mention it there was alot of photography chemicals strewn about the place as well. Thanks for the help and the laughs!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
10-26-2011, 05:46 PM
I believe that it is a film winder. It would be one of two needed.

This would allow for a reel of film to be rapidly advanced for editing or splicing.

As I now recall, I have seen items such as this a good number of times, mostly as part of a set up in which there is an editing screen or film splicer located between the pair of winders.

Usually they are mounted on a table, one to the right and one to the left, allowing for the operator to wind back and forth for editing, or move to the point of splicing, or if a number of reels of film are being shown back to back the projectionest can quickly thread the new reel into the projector and start the next reel and then re-wind the first reel to the start position without taking the needed time to do so on the projector.

Yep, think we have it!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Freightman
10-26-2011, 05:49 PM
Put it on Ebay as a vintage ****** and get some money for it. You might be surprised how much.

Pigslayer
10-26-2011, 06:36 PM
This could be in a Agatha Christie "Who done it" novel. Just kidding. LOL