PDA

View Full Version : Build me a better PTX

ShrinkMD
10-24-2011, 02:26 PM
I use a Hornady LNL AP and the Powderfunnel PTX, since I couldn't get the Hornady ones to work properly. I was reading about the Lyman m die expander, and I was wondering if anyone here has the metalworking know how to modify my Hornady PTX so they don't stick in the cases.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
10-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Buckshot is one fella that can handle the work you need done. Do a search for his nickname and send him a PM. Send him an original, the Lyman part you want duplicated, a rough drawing of what you want and I bet he'll give you a price and a delivery time.

Dave

Oreo
10-27-2011, 12:16 AM
I'm not sure if you've tried the powderfunnels.com version or not from your post. If you haven't, I highly recommend them. $30 last I checked for one caliber universal ptx designed for use in hornady's case activated powder drop.

MikeS
10-29-2011, 06:16 PM
I just looked at powderfunnels.com and their expander is just a flare, unlike a Lyman M die that is caliber specific, and a 2 step expander that doesn't have to flare the case to work. (It can flare if you want it to) I think the geometry of the Lyman M dies is the best for cast boolit use, and chances are good that Buckshot could make an M die like expander for the Hornady dies.

Maximumbob54
10-31-2011, 09:53 AM
What am I missing here??? I bought the Powderfunnels.com expander and I love the thing. But then I don't have a Lyman M die. Since I'm loading .30-30 right now I will use that for an example. I can use the Powderfunnels.com expander or even the Lee Universal Case Expanding Die to flare the mouth just enough that no lead is shaved off and then the Lee FCD closes it up very nicely. From the look of the diagram of the Lyman M die it does the same thing but does it in a way that is caliber specific. What does the M die gain in the stem vs. the cone in how it opens the case mouth? I just don't see how the Powderfunnels.com PTX is sticking in the case mouth. Maybe yours needs to be polished down some?

MikeS
11-02-2011, 06:26 AM
Bob: The Lyman M die expands the neck to about .001 under the size of the boolit in it's first step, then the second step expands it to .001 or .002 (I don't recall which) over the boolit's diameter. You can set the die to do just that, and set it so the second step goes say into the neck for about 3/16" or so, and usually that's all that's needed, the case doesn't need to be flared further, but if you want to, by adjusting the die in a bit more it will also flare the case mouth. By using the M die when I reload, after the case is expanded via the M die, and it has powder & primer, and is ready for the boolit, I can just seat a boolit into the case neck via hand pressure, so the boolit is already started into the case, and sitting level. I've even accidentally dropped a case that I had seated the boolit by hand into the top of the neck with my fingers, and as I was putting it back in the press (I took it out for some reason, but I don't recall why) I managed to drop the case rather than get it into the shell holder, and the boolit didn't come out, no powder spilled out, so all I did was pick it up, put it into the shell holder, and finish seating the boolit.

By having the M die's expansion rather than a flare, the case neck is worked less, and makes for a better seated boolit as well. The only time I don't use an actual M die is when I'm using Lyman's 'Multi Expand Charging Die' which is basically an expander die with hollow expanders and a 7/8-14 thread on top to screw in a powder measure, and it includes expanders for most popular pistol cartridges, and they have the same profile as a regular Lyman M die.

If you've never used an M die, you really should try one, you might find that you really like it. As for your PTX, as somebody else already said, member Buckshot should be able to make you an expander for your existing die that would have the shape of a Lyman M die, then you'll be able to have your cake, and eat it too! :)

Maximumbob54
11-02-2011, 07:21 AM
The Lyman M die has piqued my interest. If I wanted to try one out for .30-30 would I buy the .30 or .31 version since I'm using Ranch Dog's .310 sizer?

buyobuyo
11-02-2011, 06:05 PM
The .30 caliber version should cover your for .310 bullets. This link is useful for comparison of the different spuds: http://www.lasc.us/Brennan_LymanMDies.htm

I would go with the .30 Short M die.

Maximumbob54
11-03-2011, 07:40 AM
I now have both the short and long .30 M dies on my wish list for my next order. Thanks for the heads up.

I guess the Powderfunnles.com PTX would make a great project for milling the end similar to an M die spud if you had to have the same thing in a progressive press. I might put that on the back burner as a future project. It would be with the PID on the lead furnace, build a new bench, etc. etc. etc. project laundry list...

buyobuyo
11-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Why bother with milling your own from the powderfunnels PTX when Hornady makes them for their case activated measure. I've never seen a Dillon, so I don't know about that, but I think I've read that they do too.

Maximumbob54
11-03-2011, 12:57 PM
Because the Hornady one that came with my bullet feeder still shaved lead. It doesn't "bell" enought at the case mouth. So I ordered the Powderfunnels.com PTX and it works like a champ. The worst I can say about it is it might be easy to way over do the case mouth. Everything about the Hornady seems to be set up for jacketed bullet use only. Even the bullet feeder die is jacketed only. I guess it might work with a pretty hard cast alloy with a hard wax lube, but I don't cast with a hard alloy nor do I use a hard wax lube. But they are sending me the 500 free XTP's at least.

buyobuyo
11-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Interesting. I have the .355 and .357 expanders for my LNL, but I haven't got around to trying them to see how they compare to the M dies I'm using now.

If I remember correctly, they do measure the same (or nearly so) as my M dies though. The .355 is comparable to the 38AP and the .357 is comparable to the 38P.

Oreo
11-12-2011, 07:02 AM
The powderfunnels.com ptx works in the hornady case activated powder drop. Its also way easier to adjust the amount of flare then the hornady version. It was created specifically with lead bullets in mind, although it works so much nicer its worth the price even for jacketed bullets.

Oreo
11-12-2011, 07:17 AM
The powderfunnels.com ptx works in the hornady case activated powder drop. Its also way easier to adjust the amount of flare then the hornady version. It was created specifically with lead bullets in mind, although it works so much nicer its worth the price even for jacketed bullets.

Tumble Bug
11-23-2011, 11:27 PM
The Lyman PTX buttons screw into the hollow drop tubes for which they were designed. You can purchase these buttons direct from Lyman for just a couple of bucks. In theory all you need to do is have a machine shop make you a short LNL compatible drop tube in which the Lyman button could screw into.

I said "In theory" because this approach creates a new problem. The Hornady shell plate will occasionally allow a case to lean over too much causing misalignment of the case with the expander button and will result in a damaged case........ been there done that.

If you can devise a way to provide a "lead in" (some sort of funnel shaped guide) to align the case with the expander, then the Lyman PTX button would be a beautiful addition to the Hornady LNL progressive press.

If you have access to a lathe whereby you can preform some low cost machine work, then I believe that this is very doable.

Unfortunately, I did not have access to a lathe so I took another route that I don't think most folks would be interested it. But suffice it to say that I use the Lyman PTX die with my Hornady LNL powder measure and it is still case activated. It solved all of my case belling issues.

Truly a thing of beauty!