PDA

View Full Version : Quick Load Thoughts Please

JesterGrin_1
10-24-2011, 01:09 PM
Before I jumped to purchase Quick Load I would like the thoughts of other users on this product?

Thank You for your insight. :)

DCM
10-24-2011, 09:17 PM
Well I am going to sound like an ad for the product and get flamed for it, but the reality is I have no affiliation with them whatsoever and I am tickled pink with the product.
They list more calibers than anything else on the market.
You can add your own bullets once you understand the specifics of how.
You can develop low flash loads without ever firing a shot.
The more I toy wit it the more there is to love!
It has saved me tons of time and $ developing loads without firing a shot.
Some will complain about the fact that one powder or another is missing from the data base I am sure, but they are few.
It comes with the typical disclaimers that we all should know anyways, but is head and shoulders above ANY thing else I have tried!

If you change you OAL it will show the difference in Vel. . The more you use it the more you will be amazed.

I did mention that it probably paid for itself already didn't I. (I do a lot of different handloads for different stuff). I wish I would have had this 20 years ago.

DrB
10-24-2011, 09:28 PM
Jg, I've been thinking about getting it too... Thanks for the thread!

I'd be really interested in hearing something about how it works.... Is it canned data or does it actually use higher fidelity models?

Dark Helmet
10-25-2011, 10:04 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=55697
http://www.6mmbr.com/Quickload.html

DCM
10-25-2011, 10:16 PM
Well I am not sure of the definition of canned data, but I am guessing that Quickloads is not.

One selects the caliber that one wishes to use, then selects the bullet they wish to use from a list.
Here is where it gets really great for most of the people here, you can input your own BOOLITS(weight, length,diameter,B.T. dimensions, shot initialization pressure-lead,jacketed,solid copper).
After you have done that you enter the O.A.L. you intend to use. Whatever that O.A.L. is standard or not.
If you know your actual bore dimensions you enter those.
Enter your barrel length.
Then you enter the powder you THINK you want to use and how many grains of said powder.
Then you hit the apply and calc. and it tells you many things. Barrel time, % powder burnt, approx. velocity, pressure.

I have found this extremely use full for odd calibers like the 7.35 carcano and other calibers that a favorite powder is not listed for in any manual.
This program has shown me why some powders are not listed for some Cals. and has helped me develop loads for some powder/Cal. combinations otherwise not listed and it gets me really close to where I want to be without firing a single shot.

My velocities are usually SLIGHTLY lower than what the program says , but scary close especially if I enter most of the data I can.

DrB
10-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks, dcm.

I would call "canned data" a simple lookup table, whereas it sounds like ql does more. Think I'm going to have to spring for it.

Ugluk
10-27-2011, 09:51 PM
If I didn't aready have it I would buy it.
Whenever I get a brainfart and think "What if I tried that" I run the figures and get an indication.
It has also taught me a lot about powders and calibers I haven't had the opportunity to try.

Excellent learning tool when used with caution and crosschecked with manufacturers data.

Cap'n Morgan
10-28-2011, 09:21 AM
Quickload takes the guesswork out of reloading... pure and simple.

Frank
10-28-2011, 11:25 AM
Why doesn't someone run a sample load and see what Quickload gives you? See if it meets your existing expectation on something you really care about. If it does or doesn't will make a big difference in whether it was worth it or not.

kelbro
10-28-2011, 10:39 PM
Great tool for loading. Like was mentioned earlier, it will pay for itself in saved powder.

When I first got it, I entered some of my loads into it and the QL calculations were amazingly close to my chrono velocity measurements.

Not the end all, be all for internal ballistics but it is close.

uscra112
10-29-2011, 09:00 AM
Very valuable tool. It calculates pressure & muzzle velocity, displays a pressure/time curve, and a whole lot more, according to a complex algorithm developed by a very serious professional ballistician, (a German). Has been my go-to tool ever since I bought it. I found it to yield results very close to published data from powder makers, so I have confidence. Has been invaluable for working up loads for my .357 Max Contender, for which there isn't much on paper, but a mountain of wild and crazy suggestions on the Internet.

Only complaint I have is that the newest powders on the market aren't in the database, so I can't evaluate them. Keep meaning to call to see if the database can be updated, but haven't done it yet.

BCB
10-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Yep, I have been thinking about it also...

The lack of a few of the newer powders, as mentioned, might be a bit of a problem, I don't know...

Maybe even some of the surplus powders that I use also--say IMR-7383 or the "WC" powders...

Do they have updates from time to time that can be purchased?...

Many questions as the price is not a "change purse" situation...

I have read the other post that were included in a link above...

Still giving it some thought--might just have to take the plunge and hope for the best...

How about Trail Boss?...

BCB

Cap'n Morgan
10-30-2011, 02:55 AM
How about Trail Boss?...

As I understand Trail Boss has been added to the latest version.

For those who would like to add TB to the powder data file without buying an upgrade, I found this on The High Road forum:

Open your qloadfw.pro file with NOTEPAD and add this line:

"TrailBoss","3090","1.2310","1.490","3.4631","2.8340","0.405","1.8999","0.310","","","","","","","","","","","","22AUG10"

I followed the instructions and it seems to work fine. Make a copy of qloadfw.pro before you start in case something goes wrong. Also notice that the maker of Quickload, H. Broemel, warns against more than 80% case fill out as this can produce erratic pressure jumps.