PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here from alberta?

redneckdan
02-11-2007, 02:28 AM
I got some questions about gun laws and can't seem to find any information from online.

NVcurmudgeon
02-11-2007, 02:51 AM
dan, ericb is from Alberta. He is not a frequent poster, but you might try a PM to him.

waksupi
02-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Dan, I travel back and forth into Alberta and British Columbia frequently. What's the question?

redneckdan
02-11-2007, 11:54 PM
i'm wondering what the laws are regarding pistols. I've grown to like having my .45 on my hip everyday and would like to take it with me.

carpetman
02-12-2007, 01:09 AM
Back in late 60's when I went across Canada,pistols were sealed and had better be that way when you exit. My long guns were not sealed but stearn lecture that I did not have permission to shoot them in their country was given.

BruceB
02-12-2007, 01:31 AM
Forget it.

NO! NO handguns will be allowed into Canada. NONE. There is also NO provision for legal carry of handguns in Canada, beyond a very few permits issued for use in connection with employment, or tightly-regulated target-shooting permits which are valid ONLY on government-approved ranges.

If you show up at the Canadian border with a handgun, be prepared for a world of hurt AND the loss of your gun. These are federal laws, not Alberta, and they take them very seriously indeed.

Check the regulations at the Canadian Firearms Center, and then thank your lucky stars that you live where you do.

www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca

Sorry.

tommag
02-12-2007, 01:37 AM
Dan, I think your .45 may be out of the question for most purposes. Maybe if you are entered into a formal competition or are just passing through. My brother-in law used to have a pistol permit in his home province (B.C.) and had to have another permit to transport it to the range. I found this site, it may help.http://www.canadianembassy.org/government/guncontrol-en.asp

waksupi
02-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Nope. I have a Canadian pistol license, but must show where I am going to a registered range for a scheduled shoot, and have travel permits from the provincial firearms officer, before entering. It is such a pain in the butt, I seldom even take my flintlock pistol to the competitions. Even with the proper clearance, it causes a flap.

redneckdan
02-12-2007, 09:39 AM
fun. glad I live in the states.

TDB9901
02-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Dan,

I rode my motorcycle across Canada to Alaska last summer, and learned a couple of things at the border.

At the first checkpoint when asked my occupation, I made the mistake of admitting that I am a part time cop, and got tagged for a deeper check, for specifically firearms I am sure. Although the Border Officer was very polite and professional, he was very interested in what kinds of firearms I owned at home.

I informed him that I had lots of them at home, but I was smart enough not to try to take one across the border. I eventually convinced him of this, after offering to help unpack everything on a very overloaded bike, he believed me.

As the conversation progressed, he informed me that when they find an illicit handgun on someone attempting to cross, they are turned around, and refused entry, the gun is siezed, and turned over to the US authorities, who have in some cases been filing charges for "Illegal Export of a Firearm" or some such. He said that he had been called into a US court as a witness on such a case.

The short answer is as stated by BruceB..........FORGET IT!!!!!!!
They take it very seriously indeed.........Small personal containers of Pepper Spray also....

Tom

robertbank
02-16-2007, 04:50 PM
Regulations regarding the importation of handguns into Canada are no worse for Americans than it is for Canadians going south. We are as you would be in Canada, restricted in there use ie Gun Ranges of which there are plenty in Canada.

While rules vary from State to State your Federal Law prohibits non-resident Aliens ie Canucks from being in possession of a firearm. The same Federal Gov't issues authorizations to enter the US to hunt or attend a sporting activity. Go Figure.

Same rules up here in reverese.

Aside from handguns, a little commons sense and I think you are good to go in both countries once you get past the border.

PITA I am afraid but such is life in the new world our governments want us to believe exists.

As an aside why would you want to carry a handgun in Canada for anyway. I have lived here for 62 years and never felt any compelling need to carry a firearm save and except while wandering the bush up here in Northern B.C.

If you are going to a Competiton in Canada you can get the information off the Canadian Firearms Website for entrance into Canada. You should also check US Federal Regulations regarding the temporary export of the firearm and what you will need to re-enter the US with it.

Handgun carry is severely restricted up here. Open carry permits can be obtained for WildernessCarry and I have such a permit. Beyond that for the average person there is very little provision either for Open Carry or CCW. To say none would not be far from the truth.

Take Care

Bob

MT Gianni
02-16-2007, 06:56 PM
I have often thought that there should be a holding service near the border. A lock box that you can rent with out disclosing what's in it that you can return to. All contents forfeited after 90 days or so. A guy could make a good living. Dan you are welcome to rest a package with me but I am 300 miles away from the border and I would want to have something in Glacier park if it were me. Gianni.

robertbank
02-16-2007, 07:20 PM
Carry a 12 gauge with slugs. If you look up safeguardguy on the canadiangunutz.com forum he can walk you through the steps on getting your gun into Canada and what is involved to get your handgun in. (I think you need a invite to a competition like we do going south). Gun is registered at the border I believe for $25. Needs a trigger lock and a locked case to transport.

You are right on the lock box idea. I know of one guy who did that in the lower mainland when times were different. He bought and kept two pistols in a locked box arrangement in Washington State. When he went south to shoot IPSC /IDPA in Washington he just picked up his guns and went. Not sure that works anymore.

Take Care

Bob

Scrounger
02-16-2007, 07:32 PM
Carry a 12 gauge with slugs. If you look up safeguardguy on the canadiangunutz.com forum he can walk you through the steps on getting your gun into Canada and what is involved to get your handgun in. (I think you need a invite to a competition like we do going south). Gun is registered at the border I believe for $25. Needs a trigger lock and a locked case to transport.

You are right on the lock box idea. I know of one guy who did that in the lower mainland when times were different. He bought and kept two pistols in a locked box arrangement in Washington State. When he went south to shoot IPSC /IDPA in Washington he just picked up his guns and went. Not sure that works anymore.

Take Care
Bob

Some guys did that in Nevada when California started banning some guns. Guys who couldn't move out of state, and wouldn't turn the guns in, rented secure (Bonded?) storage for their "illegals" in Las Vegas and Tahoe.

redneckdan
02-16-2007, 09:52 PM
As an aside why would you want to carry a handgun in Canada for anyway.

hmm...must be a differnt mindset in canada. Here we carry just because we can.[smilie=1: I've had my licence for almost a year and haven't needed it. But I'd be lying if I said it was never a comfort to have it around just in case.

I think I'll take it with me for the trip cross country and leave it state side.

BruceB
02-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Well, I lived in the Northwest Territories (Canada) for 34 years, virtually my entire adult life save the last nine years here in Nevada. Fifty years total were spent north of the 49th parallel.

When I went into the NWT bush, either for occupation or recreation, I ALWAYS had a good handgun along, usually one of a slowly-rotating group of .44 magnums. Our last 12 years in the NWT, providing all our own "necessary services" like power, water etc., we lived well outside civilization, and I rarely was even in the yard without having a .44 along. This was in clear violation of dozens of arcane, purposefully- obfuscatory and obstructionist regulations. Too bad. I ignored them, and took care to keep my iron concealed.

My reasons were valid, and well-proven. There were a number of occasions when I was VERY DAMNED GLAD (and fortunate) to have the pistol along. I actually had a carry permit for the bush for quite a few years, and when the gendarmes refused to renew it one year, simply because "We don't do that anymore," I saw no reason whatever to stop the practice, and didn't.

It is my considered and much-pondered position that the carefully-chosen handgun gives its owner options which would otherwise not exist, and this applies equally in city or hinterland. If one has never had the urgent NEED for a gun, right here and right NOW, then consider oneself fortunate indeed. That still doesn't reduce the desireability of having one, even if it's NOT needed. "The law of averages is faint comfort, if YOU are the exception."- Jeff Cooper.

I got very, very sick and tired of the Canadian paranoia about handguns in particular, and guns of any kind in general. The official government pogrom against guns and gunowners was a prime motivator in our escape (yes, ESCAPE) to the United States. Our living is so much less-restricted and so much happier that I still pinch myself on occasion to prove it's all real.