PDA

View Full Version : storage of boolits

edsmith
10-24-2011, 03:09 AM
I was wondering what the best way is to store boolits, store as cast or size and lube. I tumble lube. or does it make any diffrance. thanks guys

LUCKYDAWG13
10-24-2011, 04:13 AM
i store as cast and sized and lubed right now i have a lot more cast
i tend to reload a lot more when its cold outside

Ziptar
10-24-2011, 07:00 AM
Depends on the lube you use, if its not soft and / or sticky then the bullets won't stick to each other if stored after being lubed and sized.

captaint
10-24-2011, 07:32 AM
I store them both ways. As cast and after I size & lube, I have to stack em. Been using BAC. I have plastic containers all over, full of boolits. When I need them, they're ready to go. enjoy Mike

Beau Cassidy
10-24-2011, 07:35 AM
I try not to store lubed bullets. I keep cast bullets in little Wal Mart plastic boxes for ease of stacking and storage. I include what bullet, alloy, and date they were cast on.

ku4hx
10-24-2011, 08:25 AM
Excellent bullet storage containers ... lubed or otherwise. 36 oz. fiber supplement bottles work well too. When dusted with Motor Mica there's no stickiness and the boolits just roll out when needed. They are a mite heavy, but I'm a big boy at just 275 lbs. so moving them is a labor of love.

44man
10-24-2011, 08:49 AM
I never found a difference but the big gripe comes when I need to load if the boolits are not lubed. I have to stop and lube them. :bigsmyl2:
It is far easier to take finished boolits and seat them.

dragonrider
10-24-2011, 08:56 AM
Normaly I cast & lube when I need them so I don't keep a bunch of boolits hanging around.

Gtek
10-24-2011, 09:06 AM
When I go to range I will make a stop at pistol range and go through trash cans. The plastic 45 and 9mm trays are my favorites, then slide in zip lock and seal and keep in plastic shoe box sized containers sorted for cal. Gtek

1Shirt
10-24-2011, 11:01 AM
Think I have blts stored in just about all of the containers mentioned. Not real consistant, but this old dog just doesn't learn new tricks well when it comes to storage.
1Shirt!:coffee:

6.5 mike
10-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Dollar store shoe boxs on shelves work for me. They will hold 2 or 3 smaller boxs with sized & g/c' ed till I'm ready to lube & load them. I also put in the date & alloy so if I want to test for hardness I know how long they have aged.
Right now I have 30 cal & 9 m/m waiting for me to get back to the house, cut them out of the lube & load. These are all pan lubed, with mule snot I lube when I need them,keeps the mess down. (Ya right) I keep the boolits I'm lubeing in a plastic bucket with a tight lid while waiting.
As has beeen pointed out, the dollar store is your friend, lol.

fredj338
10-24-2011, 11:19 AM
I used to stack, now w/ a harder lube & just dump them into small cardboard boxes.

gnoahhh
10-24-2011, 03:29 PM
I tend to cast and size/lube all during the same session. I would go nuts scrounging all sorts of containers to store them in which contributed to the general chaos of my loading area. Then I discovered empty cardboard oat meal canisters. I have been eating oat meal every morning for years now, since the old heart attack. The empty cylindrical canisters went into the trash until I discovered how great they are for storing bullets. I cut them off about 2" up from the bottom, using a table saw or a chop saw to get a nice clean square cut. The plastic lid goes back on the shortened canister (a square cut is crucial for that). After stacking the bullets in, the shortened containers are stackable on top of each other- the bottoms nestle snugly into the plastic lid of the ones below them. Since I empty one of those oat meal canisters at a rate of about one per week, I have a never ending supply.

grullaguy
10-24-2011, 04:11 PM
I have plastic tubs of cast unsized. Home crafted, cardboard 50 round boxes that hold the sized and lubed bullets and a maintained stock of loaded ammo in each caliber. When I need to load more ammo, I use the oldest sized and lubed first, take cast from the oldest tubs, lube and size them and put them in the freshly emptied cardboard boxes. Then the whole process starts over. My version of stock rotation.

Cherokee
10-24-2011, 04:35 PM
Cast, size & lube, store in cardboard boxes of 500. That way I'm ready to load when needed.

mpmarty
10-24-2011, 04:47 PM
As I tumble lube as soon as I can after casting (while they're still warm) and don't size them at all, I store them in plastic tubs by caliber and boolit type.

gwilliams2
10-24-2011, 09:18 PM
+ 1 here... Looks a lot like mine... Minus the mica...

Excellent bullet storage containers ... lubed or otherwise. 36 oz. fiber supplement bottles work well too. When dusted with Motor Mica there's no stickiness and the boolits just roll out when needed. They are a mite heavy, but I'm a big boy at just 275 lbs. so moving them is a labor of love.

Mk42gunner
10-24-2011, 09:44 PM
I normally store boolits as cast, then lube/size the quantity I need to load.

I have used most of the containers mentioned, except cutdown oatmeal containers. The most important thing for me is that it needs to have a lid. I live on the east side of a gravel road that gets a lot of traffic, anything not sealed up gets a quick coating of dust.

Robert

luis7
10-25-2011, 06:03 AM
HI. I store my cast bullets in a soap bottle, labeled.
no luber or size.
Bye.

Maine1
10-25-2011, 08:00 AM
I cast, lube, size, relube, then let dry for 24 hrs or so. Then i store in plastic coffee cans until i load. may be days, might be months.

Sonnypie
10-25-2011, 07:50 PM
Well, it Depends

If they are stored away as cast, then they are __ __ Caliber ingots. Unless, I suppose, you want to paper patch them.
Because... unloobed they would be like shooting a rock outcher barrel.

But if they are sized and loobed, then they are usable right away. Load and go.
But when the poop hit's the fan, I doubt there will be time to even fiddle with loading them. :dung_hits_fan:

For that reason, I usually keep only loaded ammo around. I start processing my brass as soon (or sooner than) the guns are cleaned and put away.
Having a ton of lead is admirable.
Having a ton of lead cast into boolits (to me) is wiser. (You could melt them and recast as something else)
Having that ton of boolits ready to load is even wiser. (Shot bags full)
But...
Having that ton of lead loaded into ammunition, ready to use, in ammo boxes to S&G....
That's golden! :awesome:

But on the other hand,
...she wore a glove.

drklynoon
10-25-2011, 08:28 PM
I store as cast and lbe size when loading. I keep two cans one that gets freshly cast boolits and one thats aged. I find that if I have about a large coffee can full of ready to go boolits then I'm fine. I store indoors so I could lube and size and store but I use supermoly and that stuff gets everywhere.

geargnasher
10-25-2011, 09:46 PM
Cigar boxes. Lubed, unlubed, tumble-lubed, paper-patched, whatever, all go in cigar boxes. PP boolits get put in "previously-enjoyed" ammo trays salvaged from range dumpsters, then those trays are put in cigar boxes to keep them clean. Those lubed with conventional lube get stacked in neat rows with wax-coated heavy card stock between layers, that way I can know at a glance how many I have, the bases don't get dinged, and the lube stays put.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28901&d=1296091775

The card I use between layers is 1/8"-thick backer for engine gasket sets that come packaged for CarQuest autoparts. The gaskets are piled on the board and then it's all shrink-wrapped with cellophane.

Gear

runfiverun
10-26-2011, 12:24 AM
one of my lube criteria is storage.
i store unlubed boolits in 5x5x5 [waterdropped and heat treated]boxes, and in 5 and 7 gallon buckets [air cooled].
i store lubed/sized boolits in those same containers, and in various boxes that'll fit on the shelves.

ku4hx
10-26-2011, 05:57 AM
Well, it Depends

If they are stored away as cast, then they are __ __ Caliber ingots. Unless, I suppose, you want to paper patch them.
Because... unloobed they would be like shooting a rock outcher barrel.

But if they are sized and loobed, then they are usable right away. Load and go.
But when the poop hit's the fan, I doubt there will be time to even fiddle with loading them. :dung_hits_fan:

For that reason, I usually keep only loaded ammo around. I start processing my brass as soon (or sooner than) the guns are cleaned and put away.
Having a ton of lead is admirable.
Having a ton of lead cast into boolits (to me) is wiser. (You could melt them and recast as something else)
Having that ton of boolits ready to load is even wiser. (Shot bags full)
But...
Having that ton of lead loaded into ammunition, ready to use, in ammo boxes to S&G....
That's golden! :awesome:

But on the other hand,
...she wore a glove.

How about:
All available brass loaded and load-ready boolits stored in bulk to satisfy both your "Having that ton of boolits ready to load is even wiser..." and your "Having that ton of lead loaded into ammunition, ready to use..." criterion?

Try as I might, over the decades I've never been able to accumulate brass at the rate I've accumulated alloy components.

Adam10mm
10-27-2011, 11:59 AM
I've got 3,000 .452 230gr TC boolits sized and lubed sitting in a 50 caliber ammo can. Works well.