PDA

View Full Version : 9mm boolit in a .357 Win 94?

Wheeler
10-23-2011, 06:17 PM
As an experiment for some IDPA loads I had dreamed up, I bought 100 .355/124gr. RNL to load in a .38 Special case. My ultimate goal was a light load that would produce a 3-3.5" group at 20 yards, which for the purposes of IDPA would have been more than acceptable. I picked th 9mm RNL because the sharp pointy shape would hopefully facilitate reloads.

Short story: Accuracy was horrible. I tried these loads through three different guns and got three wildly varying results. I decided to put the project on a back burner, shot a few through my J frame for a little trigger time, and tossed the remaining 5 rounds in my range bag.

I decided to take my son plinking last night and wanted to introduce him to my Winchester M94 Ranger in .357 Mag. He did very well shooting and towards the end of the session we had the remains of a 20 oz. plastic bottle hanging fom a treeat around 20 yards away. He wanted to shoot at the bottle cap hanging from the tree but decided he couldn't make the shot. He then in turn handed me the rifle and said "You do it." Talk about pressure :)

I didn't have any .357 loads left and after pilfering around, found the remaining 5 .38 loads with the 9mm bullets and thought I'd try them, if nothing else to recover the brass. I could see the bottle move everytime I shot but never did hit the bottle cap. I sent him to recover the bottle and police up our mess and got to looking, I had put a 5 shot group in an area about 1/2" below the cap about the size of a quarter. That's outside edge to outside edge, not center to center.

I said all that to ask the question about shooting cast bullets through a lever action. Especially with the smaller diameter boolits. Has anyone else done something like this with similar results? Whycan I get such good accuracy out of the rifle that should have roughly th same bore diameter and abysmal accuracy out of three different revolvers, two S&W and one Ruger?

I'm now tempted to buy some more and work up another load and see how it prints on paper.

ReloaderFred
10-23-2011, 08:28 PM
If you're asking if a lever action carbine can shoot cast bullets well, the answer is yes. My wife and I shoot 125 gr. RNFP bullets through our Marlin Carbines for SASS matches, which means we shoot a lot of them, averaging at least two matches per month. Over a year's time, we put a couple thousand through each of our rifles, and they're all 125 gr. cast bullets loaded in .38 Special cases. Leading in both rifles is nill.

Hope this helps.

Fred

fecmech
10-23-2011, 09:00 PM
I routinely use the Lee 120 TC 9mm bullet in all my leverguns and it's very accurate out to 200 yds. Until I got the Lee 125 rnfp it was the most accurate out of the Rossi's (About 3 MOA).

missionary5155
10-23-2011, 10:10 PM
Gretings
If your boolit does not fill the groove diameter of your barrel it will not be condusive to good accuracy with smokeless. I routinely figure on groove + .001 and I have never been dissapointed.
I am more concerned about throat diameter which is generally more than groove diameter. Lead easily swages down a couple thousanths going from a fat throat to groove.
Mike in Peru

robertbank
10-23-2011, 11:55 PM
I've shot the Lyman 356402 124 gr boolit out of both my GP-100 and Rossi using .357mag brass with 8.5 gr of Unique with good results. Boolits were sized .358, which is to say as cast as the sizing die hardly touched the sides of the boolit. I did it just for giggles as I prefer to shoot 158 gr lead boolits out of both the handgun and rifle.

Take Care

Bob

ocelott
10-24-2011, 01:56 AM
355/124gr. RNL to load in a .38 Special case.

Unless you have a really tight bore and barrel you are not going to have stellar results.

You will more than likely maintain that 2-3" @ 20 yards

I'd suggest a larger boolit like mentioned earlier

Wheeler
10-24-2011, 06:51 PM
I think what surprised me the most was the accuracy of the .335 boolits out of the rifle vs. the total lack of accuracy through any of the revolvers.

In the case of the Ruger, POA/POI was about 8" off at 7 yards.