PDA

View Full Version : speed green? subbing fake bullplate?

indymadcaster
10-23-2011, 04:36 PM
ok I want to try speed green and then add carnuba to make lotak
if speed green is 3 parts wax to 1 part Bullplate(which cannot be had) and is it volume or weight??? so if you go the 2 cycle oil route which do i get?????
I like felix but want to try something else.

Indymadcaster

indymadcaster
10-23-2011, 04:37 PM
and i need sprueplate lube

leftiye
10-23-2011, 05:36 PM
Husqvarna synthetic 2cycle oil I've heard. By weight! Add 2oz per lb carnauba. Let us know!!!

cbrick
10-24-2011, 12:51 AM
Husqvarna synthetic 2cycle oil I've heard. By weight! Add 2oz per lb carnauba. Let us know!!!

Hhmmm . . . Are you sure? :coffee:

One bottle of Bull plate to one pound beeswax and add 2 oz of Carnauba may be a better recipe? :coffeecom

Can we say typo? :mrgreen:

Rick

mdi
10-24-2011, 01:24 PM
I read this reply to say for every lb. of bees wax/bull plate mix, add 2 oz. carnauba. That's what I plan on trying...:Bright idea:

leftiye
10-25-2011, 12:51 AM
I'm sorry, poor english. Should have read 2 oz. carnauba to one lb Speed Green = Lotak.

Gelandangan
10-25-2011, 06:30 AM
2oz carnauba in 1lbs speed green made it REALLY hard!

I made a batch of 1/2 lbs speed green with 1oz carnauba , but ended up adding another 1/2 SG to make it just work in my lubesizer without extra heater.

leftiye
10-25-2011, 11:00 PM
Are you using 2 oz. bullplate to 6 ozs. bzwax? CBRick quoted a 2oz to 12 oz formula also.

yondering
10-25-2011, 11:07 PM
Bullplate(which cannot be had)

What? say it isn't so. I've been off the forums lately, what's the story with Bullplate lube? I see the Bull Shop website is gone. Speed Green is the only lube I use anymore for handgun boolits, and Bullplate on my molds.

cbrick
10-25-2011, 11:14 PM
2oz carnauba in 1lbs speed green made it REALLY hard!

I made a batch of 1/2 lbs speed green with 1oz carnauba , but ended up adding another 1/2 SG to make it just work in my lubesizer without extra heater.

Something sounds odd here. You say you used one half pound Speed Green, I am assuming the Speed Green was in sticks, how many sticks made up a half pound.

I started with 1/2 pound (8 ounces) of yellow beeswax and cut the recommended Bullplate and carnauba in half for Lotak. It is a bit firmer than Speed Green but hard it is not. I also use a heater and air pressure but still, it's not hard.

So how many sticks of Speed Green did you use? The reason I am curious is that 1/2 pound beeswax made 7 sticks of lube, did you make that much? Just a SWAG but it sounds like you may have added 1 ounce Carnauba to much less than one hallf pound SG.

Rick

cbrick
10-25-2011, 11:17 PM
Are you using 2 oz. bullplate to 6 ozs. bzwax? CBRick quoted a 2oz to 12 oz formula also.

If he did he messed up big time and owes the forum an apology.

2 ounces carnauba to one pound SG, I cut the measurements in half though so I used 8 ounces to 1 ounce.

Rick

cbrick
10-25-2011, 11:27 PM
What? say it isn't so. I've been off the forums lately, what's the story with Bullplate lube? I see the Bull Shop website is gone. Speed Green is the only lube I use anymore for handgun boolits, and Bullplate on my molds.

Seems no one knows. The only thing we know for sure right now is snail mail has been returned, the web site is down and I don't know of anyone that has had an email answered. He may be back . . . everyone is waiting.

Rick

Gelandangan
10-26-2011, 06:12 AM
A few months back I bought a couple of pound CAKE of Speed Green from Bullshop.
This is just before they came up with Lotak.
The lube is very efficient and usually serve what I want it to do.

Lately, having got my new NOE 247 Whisper mold,
I thought to make up some harder and less tacky mold for this boolit.
Thus I made up the batch as stated in my previous post in this thread.

Anyhow, my final formula is:

1 oz carnauba wax
1 lbs Speed Green

I dont know how many sticks this would made, but it is a lot..
I melt them and pour into the lube well as needed.

The result is a very firm, not so tacky lube, but is still able to (just) flow in a RCBS Lubesizer without heating.

fredj338
10-27-2011, 01:56 PM
A few months back I bought a couple of pound CAKE of Speed Green from Bullshop.
This is just before they came up with Lotak.
The lube is very efficient and usually serve what I want it to do.

Lately, having got my new NOE 247 Whisper mold,
I thought to make up some harder and less tacky mold for this boolit.
Thus I made up the batch as stated in my previous post in this thread.

Anyhow, my final formula is:

1 oz carnauba wax
1 lbs Speed Green

I dont know how many sticks this would made, but it is a lot..
I melt them and pour into the lube well as needed.

The result is a very firm, not so tacky lube, but is still able to (just) flow in a RCBS Lubesizer without heating.

Most sticks are right around 2oz each. It takes very little Carnuba to stiffen a lube up. I am still playing w/ SpeedGreen using 2stoke oil & BW. I added about 1/2tsp of carnuba flakes to 2oz of lube. It's not hard, but not stickie either. I still have to try shooting it.

mtgrs737
10-27-2011, 03:28 PM
I was making some Speed Green a year ago or so and Dan told me that the formula was 12 oz. of beeswax and 4 oz. of Bullplate by weight. I also added a little carnuba wax for a mirror shine on the bore. The bottle of Bullplate that Dan sold was 4 oz. liquid and just happened to weigh 4 oz. I also like to add a little dark green dye to the lube so that it is a more pleasant dark green color, but that is just me.

kb8yrw
10-27-2011, 10:08 PM
Seems no one knows. The only thing we know for sure right now is snail mail has been returned, the web site is down and I don't know of anyone that has had an email answered. He may be back . . . everyone is waiting.

Rick

I sent him a check about two weeks ago for three bottles. I got three bottles in the mail a couple days ago and have been casting with it the last two evenings, great stuff. I did send him an email prior to sending the check and he promptly replied. Maybe I'm just lucky....that would be a first lol :bigsmyl2:

cbrick
10-27-2011, 10:22 PM
I sent him a check about two weeks ago for three bottles. I got three bottles in the mail a couple days ago and have been casting with it the last two evenings, great stuff. I did send him an email prior to sending the check and he promptly replied. Maybe I'm just lucky....that would be a first lol :bigsmyl2:

Interesting, very interesting.

And encouraging. Maybe we'll get a few more posts like this.

Rick