PDA

View Full Version : Eds Red

kbstenberg
10-23-2011, 04:17 PM
I made my first batch of Eds Red today, an I must have done something wrong. It is sitting in a glass jar outside now. As soon as the container is set down one of the ingredients settles to the bottom of the container. But remixes when container is shaken.
I mixed 4 equal parts of O'Reilies Tranny fluid type 111, Klean Strip Acetone, Klean Strip Un-scented Mineral spirits, An Kerosene I got out of a gasoline station pump.
No heat while mixing. Just combine ingredients an shake.
What did I do wrong?
Even though it separates it still cleans very well.
On re-examining the container that it is in, the seperated part must be the MS. Because it had a milky color. And that is the color of the ing. that seperates.
Kevin

waksupi
10-23-2011, 04:52 PM
The formula calls for Dexron III ATF, and the K1 kerosene. One or the other probably isn't mixing well. Shake, and be happy!

JudgeBAC
10-23-2011, 06:28 PM
Look at Glenn's formula for Ed's red. It may work a little better. It's in the new online casting book.

I also found a recipe in Glen Fryxell's on line book: 1 part MEK, 1 part Xylene, and 1 part Mercon III ATF.

Box13
10-23-2011, 06:34 PM
I have noticed a new type of mineral spirits in the big box stores lately.They say its a safer version if mineral spirits.But to me it looks like an emulsion.That is its a white milky fluid.Regular mineral spirits,even the oderless version,is transparent.I figure the new stuff is a mixture of mineral spirits and water with something to make an emulsion.Probably a way to extend 1 gal of spirits to 5 gals using water and an emulsifer.If your original spirits are milky white then Id guess that is what you have and it looks like it doesnt work for Eds Red.

geargnasher
10-23-2011, 07:39 PM
I got some of that milky, tree-hugger-approved krapola a while back, it works ok for cleaning brushes, but it seems like it has a lot of alcohol and water in it too, I agree it must be some sort of emulsion.

What's on the bottom is probably either alcohol or water, let it settle out, pour off the top, and add some real, aliphatic mineral spirits, Safety solvent 140, or Varsol.

Gear

13Echo
10-23-2011, 08:38 PM
It is possible there was water in the filling station kerosene, especially if it sat around in its tank for a long time. If your Ed's Red is milky when mixed and clear after it has separated then that is probably what it is.

Jerry Liles

Maven
10-24-2011, 01:24 PM
Kevin, As geargnasher said, the separation is likely due to the "milky" mineral spirits. Try the real stuff, sometimes sold as "Paint Thinner." Btw, the milky stuff isn't particularly effective for cleaning oil-based paints and stains from [paint] brushes either.

pdawg_shooter
10-24-2011, 02:12 PM
I used Dextron3, mineral spirits, and Kroil in equal parts. No acetone because I dont shoot plastic wads, and no ammonia. Works for me.