PDA

View Full Version : Same bullet HP vs Solid - different charges?

gefiltephish
10-23-2011, 09:29 AM
I mean bullets from the same mold but one hollow pointed and one not.

I realize that hp/solid versions of the same bullet may need different charges for accuracy due to different weight and weight bias, but my question is regarding pressure/safety. I assume that all other things being equal (diameter, alloy, bullet length, bearing length, OAL, seating depth, lube, headstamp, gun), the solid bullet would not increase pressure and therefore a lighter charge is not necessary. However, rather than make assumptions I figure it's better to ask. i.e. Do I work up both from within the same range of charges?

I have 3 Mihec Cramer molds. Approximate hp/solid bullet weights are as follows:
359-125, 128/135gr (w/ lube)
452-200, 203/218gr (w/o lube)
459-122, 350/380gr (w/o lube

btroj
10-23-2011, 09:43 AM
If all else fails just work up the load with the solid. The HP is a bit lighter so pressure won't be an issue.

Blammer
10-23-2011, 11:25 AM
I would work up a load with the solids first.

You can then use that same powder charge used on the solid, use it on the HP, with no worries. You may get the same great results. Like I did. :)

the following target shows three different boolit wts being shot with the same powder charge. They all landed at the same spot. I did this with two different powder charges 16 and 18gr. Thus two different groups.

the top group has 16gr charge and used these boolits.

SWC
Long flat nose hollow point Gas checked
long flat nose solid plain base
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/blammer8mm/Targets/File0161.jpg

gefiltephish
10-23-2011, 12:25 PM
If all else fails just work up the load with the solid. The HP is a bit lighter so pressure won't be an issue.

Makes sense. However I guess I'm being lazy because I initially worked up loads with the hp's. Afterward I discovered that here in the PoliceState, possessing hp's is legal, shooting them at the range is legal, using them for home defense will land you in a big heap o' trouble even if it's deemed a justified shoot.

MtGun44
10-23-2011, 12:33 PM
I hope I am never running so close to the edge that a few grains of extra lead, with all else -
literally - being the same will cause a problem.

For me, I don't worry about it.

Bill

btroj
10-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Have to agree with Bill here. The small amountof weight difference will make very little difference in pressure. If you are running things so hot that the extra weight pushes up over the top then you were probably over the top already.

mooman76
10-23-2011, 01:16 PM
I agree with Bill also. I rarely push reloads to the edge. I see little benefit to it and it gives me a safety margin. If you are also not running the edge, you should see little to no difference.

gefiltephish
10-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the confirmation everyone. I really didn't expect it would make much if any difference. I generally run middle-of-the-road loads except in certain instances, like TG in the 9mm.

918v
10-23-2011, 10:18 PM
Since you are running mid-pressure loads, it don't matter. Just know that people push the 9 past 50,000 PSI in competition without blowing themselves up. That's a long way to go from where you are, or any book load for that matter.

fredj338
10-24-2011, 11:22 AM
Makes sense. However I guess I'm being lazy because I initially worked up loads with the hp's. Afterward I discovered that here in the PoliceState, possessing hp's is legal, shooting them at the range is legal, using them for home defense will land you in a big heap o' trouble even if it's deemed a justified shoot.

A heavier bullet the same length, will increase pressures. If you are running midrange loads, not a big feal, if you are running upper end loads, a big deal. As Blammer noted, using data for the heavier bullet will work fine for the HP but maybe not the other way. A 5-10gr diff, maybe not. I have a 270SA mold w/ diff HP pins. The cast wt of the solid is 285gr, one of the HP comes in @ 250gr, enough to matter w/ the wrong loads. Even the 270grHP could be an issue using fast powders @ near max pressures.

1Shirt
10-31-2011, 09:31 AM
Solid first to level of your satisfaction, then HP as suggested by the above. In all probability you will get best groups from the HP's if they are cast consistantly.
1Shirt!:coffee: