PDA

View Full Version : SPG Bullet Lube

Pigslayer
10-23-2011, 09:12 AM
:?:Just ordered a few tubes of SPG bullet lube from Track Of The Wolf. I'm sure that someone here has used this lube. Please comment on your experience with this lube.

Dale53
10-23-2011, 09:40 AM
SPG lube is excellent black powder cartridge lube and works fine, also, for moderate smokeless loads.

Regarding smokeless, the only criticism I have is that it melts rather easily from temps in the summer.

I went to Emmert's home mix simply because of cost (the Emmert's seems to mirror most of SPG's properties).

Dale53

Pigslayer
10-23-2011, 10:18 AM
Thank you for getting back on that.

cajun shooter
10-23-2011, 10:45 AM
There are several BPCR records held by shooters who only use SPG lube. It does have some short comings and Steve Garbe will tell you that it is not the best all the time. It is however a lube that I would use if only given one choice. If you live in the hot south you may add a little parrafin to firm it up a bit.

Pigslayer
10-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Just got my SPG lube from Track Of The Wolf. Hey! It even smell nice! Looking forward to good results!

El Gato
10-26-2011, 07:22 PM
Works great in the Frozen North with the Trapdoor, Martini, Snider and Rolling Block.

Pigslayer
10-26-2011, 07:31 PM
There are several BPCR records held by shooters who only use SPG lube. It does have some short comings and Steve Garbe will tell you that it is not the best all the time. It is however a lube that I would use if only given one choice. If you live in the hot south you may add a little parrafin to firm it up a bit.

I live in Maryland and it does get hot here! But it ain't Alabama! Figure that if I load what I lube . . . there won't be a problem.

Char-Gar
10-27-2011, 01:46 PM
I bought some years back (about 1994) from the maker and still have a stick or two. It works fine for handgun loads and I dont shoot BP.

I just dropped a couple of twenties in the mail with a note asking for the lube. I got the lube back with a very nasty note about how nobody should send cash in the mail. I don't know what he was in a twit about, as it was my money and my loss if it strayed. Needless to say, I have not ordered any more.

Pigslayer
10-28-2011, 05:45 PM
I bought some years back (about 1994) from the maker and still have a stick or two. It works fine for handgun loads and I dont shoot BP.

I just dropped a couple of twenties in the mail with a note asking for the lube. I got the lube back with a very nasty note about how nobody should send cash in the mail. I don't know what he was in a twit about, as it was my money and my loss if it strayed. Needless to say, I have not ordered any more.

Who did you order it from??

Char-Gar
10-31-2011, 10:59 AM
Steve Garbe

cajun shooter
11-01-2011, 11:11 AM
You must have caught him on a bad day or he has a pet peeve about money in the mail. As a former LEO, I will tell you that the USPS has thousands of dollars stolen each year from the mail. People refuse to do the things they advise to keep your money safe.
If you are going to send money, it only cost a dollar or so for a USPS MO. Steve is a good man and in his mind was trying to give you some help.
Christmas cards are stolen every year that contain huge sums of money. Later David

Dale53
11-01-2011, 11:32 AM
I have met Steve Garbe several times (at Ballard Rifle in Cody, Wyoming when he was general manager and at the National Muzzleloading Matches at Friendship, In.). I found him an impressive individual from many angles.

He is a several time National Champion at BPCR Silhouette and an accomplished Schuetzen Shooter. He is further an excellent writer. When I was shooting Black Powder I subscribed to his magazine for several years. He has offered material support to the sports, also. Good man!

Dale53