PDA

View Full Version : Lee Auto Disk for BP

RegCom7
10-23-2011, 12:14 AM
I use the Lee Classic cast turret press with the Lee Auto Disk powder measure. And I now use this for reloading .45 Colt with blackpowder. It works really well, and quick! I've read about the tests done with static electricity, that have put my fears to rest with regard to using a plastic powder measure. I've read of others using the Auto Disk, and the Lee perfect powder measure for BP. How many others use the Auto Disk measure for BP?

Skinny 1950
11-09-2011, 10:58 PM
I just got my Lee Deluxe 4 hole turret press (I know I should have got the Classic :mrgreen: ) to reload .45 Colt but it will ony dispense about 23 grains so I ordered the double disk kit to get more powder. I am using a 200 grain flat nosed bullet from a Lee mold.
I am totally new to reloading cartridges but have been shooting cap and ball for a year and a half or so.

RegCom7
11-10-2011, 06:33 PM
One common load for .45 Colt is 8 grains of Unique power, with a 250 grain lead bullet. That doesn't take up much space in the brass case. 23 grains would blow up your gun and kill you. Do you have reloading manuals?

Maven
11-10-2011, 08:14 PM
"How many others use the Auto Disk measure for BP?"

RegCom7, Never thought of using it for BP, but the Lee Perfect powder measure threw more consistent charges than my adjustable volumetric measure, which I use for my muzzle loading rifles.

RegCom7
11-10-2011, 09:12 PM
I've heard of people using the Perfect Powder Measure for blackpowder. I might get one sometime, to use for my .45-70.

Skinny 1950
11-10-2011, 10:21 PM
I am not loading smokeless, I am TRYING to load black powder.
The Lee Auto Disk powder measure that I have has several disks but it uses one at a time and the most it will dispense is 23 grains (weight) Goex FFFG.
To get more powder I need to use two disks at a time which requires buying an adapter to raise the powder hopper so that two disks will stack on top of each other.

SharpsShooter
11-11-2011, 10:16 AM
I am not loading smokeless, I am TRYING to load black powder.
The Lee Auto Disk powder measure that I have has several disks but it uses one at a time and the most it will dispense is 23 grains (weight) Goex FFFG.
To get more powder I need to use two disks at a time which requires buying an adapter to raise the powder hopper so that two disks will stack on top of each other.

Have you read up on loading black powder? What you are attempting is possible although I would never attack it in such manner.

I am totally new to reloading cartridges but have been shooting cap and ball for a year and a half or so.

Starting out with an automatic press is a steep learning curve for the new reloader. Just too much going on at once for you to keep track of IMO. You would be better served and safer to use a single stage press and a lee perfect powder measure that is set using a proper scale. Doing it the "old fashioned way" lets you achieve quality control at each step of the process and that in turn produces safe loads. The auto press moves things along briskly and unless you have the experience to hear, see or feel a "mistake" occur, you might miss it and cause yourself or someone else misery down the road.

SS

John Boy
11-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Skinny, why fight the issue ... The Auto Discs were made to load smokeless powder charges. Just buy the CHEAP proper charger, the Lee Perfect Powder Measure that will throw 2 grs up to 100grs of black powder just by turning calibration stem

bigted
11-11-2011, 01:32 PM
ill chime in with a healthy 2nd on going slow.

i started out with a [i believe 'Pacific loading system' ] where the re-loader used a hammer to hammer the primer out and hammer the case into the sizing die and hammer the case into the fairing die and so on...the lee dipper powder measures were my best friend till i could afford the snazzy rcbs scale and then i still used the dippers to dribble into the pan of my snazzy balance beam scale. this all was very slow and allowed the learning curve to be slow and precise that i needed to start out with.

when i got a tax return that would stretch i purchased the rock-chuck er set-up from rcbs and felt like i were in king chet! i still load one at a time and single stage press and guess what.......for experimenting... i still use the lee dippers to dip loads into my electronic scale for the few loads i want for experimenting with.

go slow friend and smell the coffee. this is a huge part of the fun and every step should be cherished and enjoyed for this to properly become a life-long obsession like the rest of us enjoy...and most of us have mates that tolerate it as well.......LOL

have fun friend and continue to stride along.......black powder is a fun and challenging pastime.

RegCom7
11-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Skinny 1950, sorry I misunderstood you. Yes, I load blackpowder in .45 Colt with the double-disk kit too. I use the Lee Classic Cast Turret press, and that's what I started with. It hasn't been complicated for me, and the double-disks work very well.

Skinny 1950
11-17-2011, 11:33 AM
No problem RegCom7...while I am waiting for the double disk kit to show up I am loading "Cowboy " loads...23 grns powder 2 1/2 .125 inch wads to make up the space. I tried these last weekend and they shoot great. If I want a full load I made a measure that fills the case,no wads... seat the boolit and that is it.

Black Jaque Janaviac
01-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Skinny,

Any reason a guy couldn't just double pull the arm at the powder measuring stage? Set it for 23 grains of bp, pull the arm to dispense 23 grains, return the arm enough to reset the auto measure but not so much to rotate the turret, then pull the arm back again - 46 grains of BP.

Anyway - so is it safe to use the auto-disk for BP then? Lee states that their powder measures are not for BP. Sometimes it's an over-cautious lawyer thing other times there's a real concern.

cajun shooter
01-15-2012, 01:59 PM
The Lee is a safe way to load BP, although I choose to use the RCBS BP measure on my turret press and the Lyman BP measure for my shot shells.
The reason that Lee states that the measure is not to be used for BP is the same as the ladder having a sticker that says the top is not to be used for a step.
The lawyers of this world will sue if your current TP is too rough.
A true story, a bus in downtown New Orleans was involved in a crash with two cars in a intersection. When the police arrived the bus contained 34 passengers complaining of various ailments.
When the driver was questioned, he advised at the time of the accident he only had two passengers on the bus.
During Katrina we had thousands of people filing claims for the government living checks that were being handed out. Some of them were found to be living in Arizona and even Alaska at the time of landfall.
In other words , It's pure greed plain and simple.