PDA

View Full Version : Saturday Lead Score!

Powellcole5490
10-22-2011, 07:29 PM
So after doing some digging I found a guy with some lead. I thought I was buying some WW lead for about 20 cents per pound. I though okay cool, but when I got there I was surprised to see 50# of WW and 38# of some kind of printshop lead thing. Since I'm a new guy to this, I thought I'd post a picture of it and ask what type of lead it is. Is it that infamous "linotype" lead or what? Thanks

Coleman

dieguy59
10-22-2011, 08:15 PM
That is just plain cool! Be a shame to melt it down, but oh well...

Fritz D
10-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Go back 3 posts (Print Shop Lino) and look at reply #27 . . . the first pic is linotype. What you have is a stereotype printing plate. It is lead, but I don't know the alloy offhand. Sometime ago, I posted a link to a site that gave formulations for the various printer's alloys, but I can't find it. Sorry. I have to agree with dieguy59, it does seem a shame to melt them down. I don't imagine there are too many of those kicking around anymore. Cool find!

P.S. I don't know how to add a link, but if you want to see how stereotype plates are made, search "Quality In Print: The Wayback View - Stereotype Plate Making." There is an old black and white video which is way cool and should be interesting to any boolit caster.

imashooter2
10-22-2011, 08:50 PM
Stereotype is 6Sn / 14Sb / 80Pb.

a.squibload
10-22-2011, 11:50 PM
Doubt Skagg's coupons will be historically significant, but check the expiration dates,
could be '80s or older. Good stuff! Make boolits!

WHITETAIL
10-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Powellcole5490, Welcome to the forum!
I would look at the dates on the cupons as seg.
And first see if you can sell them to a colecter.
If not then just melt them seperate and use them
to sweeten your lead.:cbpour:

Matt_G
10-23-2011, 11:24 AM
Sometime ago, I posted a link to a site that gave formulations for the various printer's alloys, but I can't find it.

Is this the link?
http://letterpressprinting.com.au/page40.htm

Fritz D
10-23-2011, 11:34 AM
Is this the link?
http://letterpressprinting.com.au/page40.htm

That might be the one I was thinking about, I've definitely seen it before. Thanks for adding the link.

Matt_G
10-23-2011, 12:04 PM
This is a very interesting thread to me.
I have about 36 pounds of material that looks exactly like the plate in the OP.
It's just broken up into smaller pieces is all.
I haven't used any of it yet.
I always thought it was linotype. So did the member I got it from.
Now I know that it isn't lino.

Here is a link for the video that Fritz D mentioned.
The video is about mid page. Thanks for the hint Fritz. Cool video...

http://qualityinprint.blogspot.com/2010/05/wayback-view-stereotype-plate-making.html

Fritz D
10-23-2011, 08:09 PM
Here is a link for the video that Fritz D mentioned.
The video is about mid page. Thanks for the hint Fritz. Cool video...

http://qualityinprint.blogspot.com/2010/05/wayback-view-stereotype-plate-making.html

Thanks for adding the link (I did not know how to do it).:drinks:

Defcon-One
10-26-2011, 02:11 AM
Definitely Stereotype. Nice find!

I doubt that it has any collector value, but it does have some cool value (it just looks neat to me). I'd check around before you melt it!

Powellcole5490
10-27-2011, 12:23 PM
I did a little checking and I think it's pretty cool. I don't think it has any historical significance, but Stagg's Groceries was open here in the Denver Metro Area in the 1920's. I think thats kind of cool.

Powellcole5490
10-27-2011, 12:25 PM
Oh and I checkd for expiration dates. All it says is Nov. 29th. No year. Wonder if I can pour some ink on it and make some "new" coupons with it and take them to Wally World....hmmm...

mrbillbus
10-27-2011, 02:35 PM
When I was in 6th grade about &*^ years ago, my english teacher had one of those in her classroom. It was from the page with her engagement announcement. Her fiance bought it from the newspaper to give to her. Her said it would last longer than the paper version.

I hope he never got into casting boolits.

Echo
10-27-2011, 03:15 PM
Way Cool! I wouldn't want to melt both of them. Worth putting one on your mantle, or make a shelf to hold it wherever SWMBO says you can.