Capn Jack
10-22-2011, 07:27 PM
Anyone ever figured out a use for those nasty little strips of "cut-out" left
over from punching out gas checks?:confused:

That is, other than hooking your fingers together. :holysheep

Jack...:coffeecom

ReloaderFred
10-22-2011, 10:42 PM
They're great for getting blood samples, especially when you don't need one.......

I just put the copper strips in with my scrap brass and cash it in for money with the brass.

The aluminum goes in with the Blazer Aluminum cases and gets the same treatment at the scrap yard as the brass does, turned into cash.

Hope this helps.

Fred

TreeKiller
10-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Fold them over put them in a soda or beer can (your choice) smash the can and sell it with the other empty cans. in California to ups the weight on the cash redemption. At $1.57 a pound everything helps.

Sonnypie
10-23-2011, 02:10 AM
Fold them over put them in a soda or beer can (your choice) smash the can and sell it with the other empty cans. in California to ups the weight on the cash redemption. At $1.57 a pound everything helps.

At one time we got to clean up after a huge multi-school graduation party at the end of the road.
We dropped a piece of pea gravel in the cans as we gathered them, then smashed them en mass by rolling the 1-ton doolly over them.
The kids still wound up with an entire truck load. I think they got 65-70 bucks to split from the pile. (Late 1980's, hardly got squat for the cans back then.)

phaessler
10-23-2011, 08:23 AM
At one time we got to clean up after a huge multi-school graduation party at the end of the road.
We dropped a piece of pea gravel in the cans as we gathered them, then smashed them en mass by rolling the 1-ton doolly over them.
The kids still wound up with an entire truck load. I think they got 65-70 bucks to split from the pile. (Late 1980's, hardly got squat for the cans back then.)

Now that is creative thinking ....

Sonnypie
10-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Now that is creative thinking ....

Creative cheating.
Nowadays they probably X-ray the cans for foreign objects. Them scrappers ain't no dummies.
Back then, they only had a magnetic head pully on the belt to weed out steel cans.

Sonnypie
10-25-2011, 10:56 AM
My nearest scrap yard is 25 miles away.
It would take an awful lot to pay for the gas to make the round trip.
I just weighed one, and then two of my cast-off strips. (.011" Brass shim stock)

1/2" X 6"L =
.05 ounces for one, .090 for two. (On a very unreliable scale)
16 ounces to the pound.
16 / .05 = 320 strips to the pound.
I got 14 punching's per 6" strip. (That's the material I had.)
So I would make 4480 disks to amount to one pound of scrap. :veryconfu

I don't think the scrap (even brass) would be worth the powder to blow them to the scraper. :shock:

YMMV [smilie=p:

maglvr
11-01-2011, 04:17 AM
Anyone ever figured out a use for those nasty little strips of "cut-out" left
over from punching out gas checks?:confused:

That is, other than hooking your fingers together. :holysheep

Jack...:coffeecom

Pack them tightly in shotgun hulls for home defense rounds:mrgreen:

justingrosche
11-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Jack is cutting checks for a 458 Socom. I bet he has all the home defense nastyness he could ever need.

PatMarlin
11-06-2011, 10:31 AM
They make good holding liners inside vise jaws, shims too.