PDA

View Full Version : Just what is Bullplate?

Christorbust
10-22-2011, 04:36 PM
Kidding! :pThis thread is NOT to discuss what Bullplate is. I just wasted too much time reading those threads, somewhat chuckling to myself at peoples attitudes. I enjoy that those that most likely know what Bullplate is respect Dan's "castboolit honorary patent" (CHP) to his lube. I figured the title could get me some quick response...

HOWEVER...

I would like to make something similar to speed green...but I would rather beat my head off a brick wall than use 50% of my Bullplate supply in one use [smilie=b:

I was melting some awesome yellow beeswax I got from Randyrat :D (my kitchen smells fantastic now) in preparation for lube making. It is actually still melted in a silicone pan on my stove, but I can't bring myself to add anything to it just willy nilly. I was originally going to make some world famous felix lube, but I lack mineral oil and castor oil, and I don't know if my lube needs are that demanding (pan lubing 9mm now and maybe some low velocity 30-30 in the future)

The simplicity of Bullplate and Beeswax sounded awesome. I fortunately bought a few bottles of it right before Bullshop ran into some problems. I have one bottle for my molds, I will probably make a spill proof stand for it. My spill bottle will go into a safe (note to self: buy 2oz capacity safe) that only I know the combination to. I may be able to retire on its contents the way demand is, or at least trade it oz for oz for gold!

I plan on using the 3.5*3.5*1 of beeswax (seeing as it's already melted), prob a touch of lanolin for tackiness, carnuba for shine (I have stearic acid if needed)... what should my other component be? Something to thin it out I assume. I was wondering if I could get by with 2 stroke oil, STP seems thick to me, or what about wd-40(I literally have a gallon of it).

Help/advise appreciated...

(and please honor Dan's CHP)

geargnasher
10-22-2011, 06:52 PM
If you're planning to shoot 9mm and .30-30, and have some of Randyrats fine wax, go ahead and make Felix lube. Get the castor and pure mineral oil from wally world, they're right next to each other in the pharmacy section, sold as laxatives. Eight bucks should more than cover it. If you don't have any Ivory soap, pick up a 3-bar pack of that, too, for a buck. Lanolin is availiable from Randyrat in quantity, or buy a tube of Lansinoh nipple cream in the nursing mother's section, ten bucks a 2-oz. tube, enough for a full pound of lube.

OR, make Lithi-Bee, take one pound of beeswax and one 14-oz. tube of the regular tan Mag1 lithium grease from wally world also. Resist the temptation to get the Uber-super-duper-extreme-pressure-ultra-high-temp-red greases, they have stuff in there that isn't desireable for boolit lube, and are much harder to get mixed with the beeswax. Melt the wax and stir/mash/stir the grease into it until all the blobs are melted in, this will take some patience, and don't overheat the beeswax or it will scorch and ruin. 300 degrees is the absolute limit for beeswax before it "poofs" on you, have a well-fitting lid handy for your container to snuff potential fires, and use a candy-making thermometer to keep an eye on temps.

Either of these lubes will do anything you ask of them.

One other, of which I don't have a LOT of experience, but some, is mix Vaseline with your beeswax, approximately 50-50. You'll have to play with the proportions to get what you like for pan lubing, and might need to add some lanolin for stickiness. Several members here have been using nothing but that formula for a lifetime of shooting and it has served them well.

Gear

JonB_in_Glencoe
10-22-2011, 07:16 PM
I use a synth. 2 cycle oil.

Here is my recipe, see post #93
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=26524&page=5
Jon

shotman
10-22-2011, 07:27 PM
jon has it right
depends on the brand as to smell but all the 50 to 1 are about same
lawnboy is NOT the same you want the 50 to one

Christorbust
10-23-2011, 10:09 PM
Gear I keep hearing that I should make that Felix lube, one of these days I'm going to break down and do it... probably after my next batch or so... it's as if I want to avoid finding out the truth about how good it is so I can avoid having to stir for 30mins:roll:

I got impatient, and needed to see something other than LLA in my lube grooves! I mixed up basically the Felix lube recipe (really quite different), but replaced the 3 tblspns of oils with STP oil treatment (I was hoping my 5in 9mm wouldn't be too hard on a lube)... I did mention that all I had seen in my lube grooves was sticky mule snot right?!? I threw in a red crayon because I just wanted some color folks!:mrgreen:

I will hopefully add a more detailed post with some pics after I survive school this week:violin:

JonB thanks for the recipe, that sounds like something I will try as well... I like the simplicity of it. I think some 2 stroke oil is in my future... if only my dirtbike had 2 less I could save a trip to the store... [smilie=2:

Christorbust
10-29-2011, 02:02 PM
As stated before I basically followed the Felix lube instructions, but substituted STP oil treatment for castor and mineral oils, and 30 minute stirring.

Here are the results of the STicky-Pan Salmon lube:

Bullets placed in hot melted lube, and into toaster oven @150-175 to let bullets warm up with lube
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j430/Christorbust/Pan%20lubing%20with%20sticky%20salmon/IMG_9073.jpg

After it was mildly solidified, I placed it in the fridge for 5-10... I found it was easier to remove bullets if the lube was still warm to the touch
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j430/Christorbust/Pan%20lubing%20with%20sticky%20salmon/IMG_9074.jpg

Used homemade cutter to cut bullets from lube, just pressing down worked better than twisting... the lube was very sticky!
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j430/Christorbust/Pan%20lubing%20with%20sticky%20salmon/IMG_9075.jpg

I used a cracked 30 Remington case, cut the bottom off with a dremel. I unscrewed a pen top (a uniball gel Impact RT), and snipped the end of the ink cartridge off at the right length to allow bullet entry and ejection, and put a dot of glue to hold it in place permanently. I also broke of the pocket clip on the pen, because that is what makes the pen click out on one stroke, then in on another stroke. Then I just taped it onto the top of the case. It fit perfectly onto the case, I actually screwed it on first with the pen threads and added tape for better handling characteristics. The case body is perfect for 9mm.
http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j430/Christorbust/Pan%20lubing%20with%20sticky%20salmon/IMG_9077.jpg

The satisfaction of colored lube in my casts is mine!!!! :castmine:

randyrat
10-30-2011, 06:18 AM
WOW the ingenuity flows here, very good.
I had a question for Chrisorbust.....Do you sell Cake frosting? My wife made a cake the other day and the frosting looks just like that lube. I don't know what she put in it but good lord, did you happen to sell some of that to my wife?

I had to eat it without flinching and say MMMM that was good dear.:x

Christorbust
10-30-2011, 03:58 PM
Ha, I do NOT sell cake frosting, yet!

I was going for red but it turned out pink.

The lube is INCREDIBLY sticky/tacky.... anybody think I could just add more carnuaba to fix? How much apx...?

Flinchrock
10-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Ha, I do NOT sell cake frosting, yet!

I was going for red but it turned out pink.

The lube is INCREDIBLY sticky/tacky.... anybody think I could just add more carnuaba to fix? How much apx...?

Awww,,just toss in another crayon, an orange one!:-P

leftiye
11-01-2011, 05:35 AM
Maybe get some pure carnauba and use about 2 oz per lb.

runfiverun
11-01-2011, 05:36 AM
you don't want or need more than 5% carnuba it'll make the lube brittle.
just add about a half teaspoon ivory soap flakes to the melted solution,stir it till it stops fizzing.
i'd wait a couple of days before i changed the lube any though.
i usually let mine sit two weeks to see what it will do in the long term, some of the initial soft ones will surprise you.

Christorbust
11-02-2011, 04:31 PM
I was tempted to add another crayon, but feared they were water soluble or something as most of the color is settling at the bottom.

I ended up adding 1/4tspn of carnuaba and of stearic acid since its been about 2wks. Seemed to help. Still tacky, but now it doesn't weld itself to everything it touches permanently.

I may fry up some "fast green" (not to be confused with speed green) this afternoon using an amsoil high temp 2 stroke I picked up...

This lube making stuff is too fun, it may get in the way of my shooting if I'm not careful!

pls1911
09-16-2012, 02:03 PM
I have no idea what BulPlate really is, ut I'm looking for a low cost alternative.
0 weight Mobil 1 synthetic comes pretty close.

Stick_man
09-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Why not get the original BullPlate from Bullshop? He is now back in business and is a great member here. Great guy to do business with as well.

kelbro
09-30-2012, 02:52 PM
Why not get the original BullPlate from Bullshop? He is now back in business and is a great member here. Great guy to do business with as well.

Really? Contact info please! My order got lost or something in the 'transition'.

Got in touch with them tonight and they made it right.

wlc
09-30-2012, 06:55 PM
Really? Contact info please! My order got lost or something in the 'transition'.

mailto:bullshop@nemont.net

CLAYPOOL
09-30-2012, 09:30 PM
I just sent a Blank check to them before (Twice) when they were moving from the Icebox down to the U.S. where there are much nicer temps...Mrs. Bullplate sent me a note and made my day and a smile too...Thank You mam...

kelbro
09-30-2012, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I think mine probably hit right when they were moving. Probably sitting up there in some post office bucket.

Tina made it right as soon as she heard from me.

runfiverun
09-30-2012, 10:13 PM
i'd just p.m. dan here.
he'll tell y'all what's up.

kelbro
09-30-2012, 11:24 PM
No problem. Tina made it right as soon as she heard from me. Great folks to trade with.