PDA

View Full Version : dacron vs polyester

slim1836
10-22-2011, 02:29 PM
What is the difference between dacron vs polyester as far as filler material on top of powder is concerned? Will both work and is one as good as the other?

Reason I ask is that the filler in my old pillows is polyester and I cannot seem to find dacron around the house. I know fabric stores have dacron, but I'm cheap.

Slim

mooman76
10-22-2011, 03:50 PM
You can also use drier lint. I believe dacron is just a type of polyester.

Pepe Ray
10-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Dacron is the DuPont trade name for their polyester fiber. Same stuff.

35remington
10-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Given that a really large pillow case equivalent is about three bucks and will last a lifetime, you'd have to be way beyond cheap to pass up fresh dacron.

Old dacron often picks up oils from skin that has passed through the pillowcase and liner and is somewhat matted down.

Larry Gibson
10-22-2011, 05:16 PM
As mentioned, same stuff.

Larry Gibson

slim1836
10-22-2011, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys,

I learned another thing today thanks to this great forum.

You guys (and gals) keep up the good work.

Slim

TRX
10-27-2011, 10:10 PM
I always used cotton from cotton balls. I figured it was biodegradable once it was scattered out over the range.

swheeler
10-27-2011, 10:19 PM
poly- dacron -samo-samo stuff

REDTAIL
04-03-2019, 05:44 PM
Cotton, Dryer Lint, Thanks guys Dacron Stuffing is very expensive to buy, As I will try the cotton or dryer lint have plenty of that after a good clothes washing etc. The stuff will burn up I :-Phope when its fired out of the barrel, Hopefuly etc.

popper
04-03-2019, 06:44 PM
Dog chew toys is poly. Don't last long here as they always dig for the squeeker.

Tom W.
04-03-2019, 10:59 PM
A lady gave me a sandwich size Ziploc bag full of Dacron. I still have most of it. It doesn't take much.......

Peregrine
04-03-2019, 11:03 PM
I always used cotton from cotton balls. I figured it was biodegradable once it was scattered out over the range.

From what i've heard on here cotton's well and good until you set your range on fire. :eek:

Dracon doesn't burn anywhere near as readily, it will mainly just shrivel up under heat. I think in part that's what makes it such a versatile fill, the volume of it will significantly decrease as soon as it feels the fire. Not that there will be enough time for that to fully occur within the firearm, but that tendency can only help.

Cotton, Dryer Lint, Thanks guys Dacron Stuffing is very expensive to buy

It really, really isn't. This is the one I bought off amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Mist-Quilt-Light-Polyester-Batting/dp/B0017058TU/ref=sr_1_6?keywords=batting&qid=1554347098&s=gateway&sr=8-6), i've loaded close to a thousand rounds with it and haven't put much of a dent in it at all. It's hard to tell for sure but my cost has gotta be in the realm of a fraction of a penny a shot. That's probably not even your best deal, just the one I bought.

*EDIT*
Let's do some math using this one (https://www.amazon.com/Fairfield-PF20B-Poly-Fil-Premium-20-Ounce/dp/B00TH2E3PA/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=batting&qid=1554347486&s=gateway&sr=8-4) for example.
It says there is 20oz in there, so 8750 grains. I use about a grain and a half in one of my loads, so that's enough for well over 5k or so loads, therefore you get 2 tenths of a penny per shot.
I know we're all cheapskates here, but I think that's tolerable. :)

JBinMN
04-04-2019, 02:42 AM
Dog chew toys is poly. Don't last long here as they always dig for the squeeker.

LOL funny... My dogs do the same. I have to watch them so they don't swallow the squeaker when they do rip it open.
;)

As far as the cost of polyester for pillows, etc. I was in Wallyworld with the missus last year & she was buying some materials since she like to sew things & bought a bag full of polyester stuffing & it wasn't too bad. I want to say either around 3 frogskins or 7 frogskins for a pretty good size bag about the size of 3 regular bed pillows or so.
Enough to likely last me til I die anyway, considering how little I use each time & how often I use it. YMMV of course, but it won't break the bank for most folks.
:)

beemer
04-04-2019, 12:13 PM
I worked in the sample department of a furniture factory, just pulled an arm pillow out of the trash barrel. Still have most of it after 20 years.

Harris wrote an article in the Fouling Shot about using Dacron batting in a 303. He said that 1/4 inch batting cut in 1 inch squares weighed about 1 grain. That would be much easier to handle than a loose fluff.

Three44s
04-06-2019, 01:07 AM
A little goes a very long ways!

The gas to go get some will be more than the cost of the stuffing!

Three44s

Bookworm
04-09-2019, 06:06 PM
We had a neck pillow, the kind used during traveling, that we never used. Mrs Dumpstick was going to pitch it out. I snagged it .

That was a year ago. That little pillow will provide poly for me, likely forever.