PDA

View Full Version : Marlin M1893 Tang Sight Recommendation

Tom in Pittsburgh
10-22-2011, 01:05 PM
I have a nice early (~1901) Marlin Model 1893 in .30-30. The tang is drilled for a tang sight (holes spaced 1-1/8" apart). I would like to get a tang sight for it, but the originals are tough to find and are very expensive. Even the new Marbles, Lyman and Columbia Precision versions are expensive. Before I pay $100 or more for one of these, I would appreciate any recommendations from the board.

TIA

Tom

www.vintage-gunlore.com

barkerwc4362
10-23-2011, 06:18 PM
I have a Lyman JA on my Marlin 1893 in 38-55. It is a great sight! I bought mine from Gary Fellers many years ago. It was well worth the cost. Mine has the fold down aperture that allows you to have a ghost ring and a small aperture in one sight. I sight in with the smaller aperture and hunt with the ghost. I like the look of the originals over the modern tang sights. To me simpler is better.

Bill

smithywess
10-24-2011, 03:40 PM
There's been quite a bit on these forums about installing tang sights on the Marlin model of 1893 and the archives may prove useful to you. The Lyman (code JA) tang sight is the original one offered by Marlin as an option for the Model of 1893 in the 'Smokeless Steel 'barrel versions ( .25-36, .30-30, 32 H.P.S., as well as the smokeless steel barrel versions of the .32-40 and .38-55). For the `Blackpowder`barrels in .32-40 and .38-55 the code was `J`. Because the bolt throw on this model is very long there are no modern equivalents to that original Lyman tang sight whose stem was set sufficiently to the rear to not be struck by the bolt going back. That said it is possible to machine a modified base plate upon which a modern Marbles or Lyman tang sight may be affixed. Wind`from the Marlin owners forum has done this if you want to contact him. Like Barker wc I elected to go with original Lyman sights on four of my Models of 1893 as I prefer the authenticity and they work well with no hassle. Coincidentally I got mine from Gary Fellers as well !
Hope this helps.