PDA

View Full Version : Best Commercial Lube

Roundnoser
10-22-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm looking for a good commerical lube for bulk boolits. I am currently using Jakes Purple Cerisin with so-so results. If shooting slow fire, I tend to get leading in the first 1/2 inch of the barrel... Its annoying! As my shooting speeds up (barrel heats up), the Cerisin tends to work better...I assume because it is melting and lubricating the barrel better.

What I need as a hard lube that will stay in the groove and not transfer to other bullets / dies. And, at the same time have good lubricating qualities in semi-auto pistols (9mm . 40 SW / 45 Auto). Price is not as much a factor, but as fast as I go through lube, I don't want to pay 4 bucks a stick for it!

Any suggestions from high volume casters?

alfloyd
10-22-2011, 11:54 AM
"Any suggestions from high volume casters?"

Make your own. Lots of info here on castboolits with recipies and tooling. It is not as hard as some people say it is.

I have made my own for a few years now and like it.

Use beeswax, paraffin, vaseline, carnauba and crayons for color.

Here is a site vendor that has lube.

White Label Lube co.
Offering Premium Cast bullet lubes without the premium price.

e-mail questions or to order at $1.90 per stick.
Updated: 05-20-2009

Lafaun

fecmech
10-22-2011, 02:34 PM
As said above White Label lubes I believe has a commercial version of their Carnauba Red which I'm told is less tacky than the normal CR. For the past few years I've been using Magma's hard lube with excellent results in the 9MM, .45, .357 and .44 mag. It is a hard lube , requiring heat and is not tacky at all and stays in the grooves. I get excellent accuracy with plain base bullets and no leading up to 1600 fps in my .357 rifles and excellent results in handguns. If you go with Magma get the commercial 2X6" sticks and melt them into your lubrisizer as that's the cheapest way to go with their lubes.

http://www.magmaengineering.com/products/lube/

runfiverun
10-22-2011, 04:03 PM
having used all the above i like the purple the best except for the carnuba red.
i have however mixed 1/2 stick red to one stick purple with good results.
but prefer two sticks 50-50 to one carnuba red with about 1/4 stick purple to firm everything up as a hard lube that flows through star type lubes with some heat.

Dale53
10-23-2011, 10:00 AM
My Star luber has a Lyman heater with an added rheostat heat control.

I have used nothing but Lars White Label Carnauba Red for several years with complete satisfaction. It shoots well (the most important factor), doesn't lead, and has minimum smoke. It is not sticky when cooled and stays on the bullet.

It has been my "Gold Standard" for some time. Add to that it's most reasonably priced.

Dale53

bobthenailer
10-23-2011, 07:36 PM
When buying lube get the large size sticks that are made for the camdex lube sizer, I think one solid stick is the same as 5 or 6 regular size sticks And alot more reasonably priced . Melt it in a pyrex measuring cup & pore it into the lube sizer.
these type of large sticks are avaliable from magnma and carnubia red/Lars white lable lube

sagamore-one
10-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Zambini red.......... nuff said !!

870TC
10-28-2011, 11:16 AM
I work part time for a commercial cast company. We switched our bulk packed bullets from Magma lube to White Label Commercial Red lube about a year ago. Shooting wise it is great, we have far less complaints about leading and fouling . It is slightly sticky, and bullets may transfer lube to a small degree if you are lubing when the ambient room temperature is 85 or above. I find it is best not to move or shake the bulk bullets around when the temp. is this high, once they cool or sit a little they are fine. I run the lube temp on the Magma Lube Master between 110-114 depending on the temp in the room.

Roundnoser
10-28-2011, 11:32 AM
I work part time for a commercial cast company. We switched our bulk packed bullets from Magma lube to White Label Commercial Red lube about a year ago. Shooting wise it is great, we have far less complaints about leading and fouling . It is slightly sticky, and bullets may transfer lube to a small degree if you are lubing when the ambient room temperature is 85 or above. I find it is best not to move or shake the bulk bullets around when the temp. is this high, once they cool or sit a little they are fine. I run the lube temp on the Magma Lube Master between 110-114 depending on the temp in the room.

Thank you 870TC. This is the info I was looking for! Right now, I am trying a sample lube that RandyRat gave me. It is exibiting the same physical charactoristics you are describing with the White/Red. I have yet to fire a bunch of them from my pistol to check for fouling / or lack thereof!

Dale53
10-28-2011, 06:20 PM
870TC;
That is certainly a ringing endorsement of Lars White Label Lubes! I concur. I have been using Carnauba Red for several years with absolutely excellent results from both accuracy (paramount with me) as well as freedom from leading.

A friend of mine was shooting bullets lubed with Lee Liquid Alox and was having some leading problems. It just so happened he was shooting the same cartridge I was. I let him shoot a few of mine and it actually removed the mild/medium leading he was experiencing and left his barrel shining! Needless to say, he started using Carnauba Red himself.

Dale53

fishnbob
10-28-2011, 07:59 PM
I just ran about 50 rounds through my Ruger Black Hawk 45 Colt and when I cleaned it, I ran a patch of Hoppes solvent through it and then 2 dry patches and it shined up like a diamond in a goats @$$! All Carnuba Red, no lead and really looked clean before I started. Finished it off with an oil patch. Cleanest bore I ever saw, must be the carnuba.