PDA

View Full Version : sks soft spoken ?

dnepr
10-22-2011, 10:19 AM
I had the good luck to take the first deer of the year with my russian siminov ( sks) last weekend , when I shot my hunting buddy noted that the report seemed mild ,he was about 3/4 of a mile away . I was a little focused on bullet placement at the time but I think it was kind of quiet myself , I talked to another friend who used to own an sks and he said his seemed mild also.
the sks is no .22 in report but it seems a lot quieter than your typical 30-06, Has anyone else noticed this ? I am refering to full power type loads , reduced cast loads would be even milder . It would kind of explain the subsonic silenced performance of the cartridge .

canyon-ghost
10-22-2011, 11:14 AM
I'm finding the SKS is an understated gem. I need one now. Lol.

Larry Gibson
10-22-2011, 11:31 AM
With approximately 1/2 the powder to generate the volume of gas and a lower exit pressure the 7.62x39 has less of "muzzle blast" than the average '06. Exactly how that relates to decibels and sound I'm not sure but it does.

Larry Gibson

roverboy
10-22-2011, 07:15 PM
I used to own a Chinese, but never really noticed the noise level was quieter. But, it probably is a little.

mooman76
10-22-2011, 07:47 PM
I used to own a Chinese, but never really noticed the noise level was quieter. But, it probably is a little.

I was going to say about the same. I'm sure it's quieter than an 06 but it don't remember it being especially quiet.

milsurp mike
10-23-2011, 10:04 AM
I had my SKS and AK at the range yesterday and it is alot quieter than my 30-06 that we where firing.Like someone else stated its half the powder than the 30-06.Mike